Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 03:40 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times

Advertisements

Three times. Each with an at-fault minivan. Children are bigger distractions than cell phones. Still waiting on calls to outlaw them in cars.

And a 4th when I wasn't in the car and a drunk driver(in a van) totaled my first brand new car. I had parked in the back corner of the lot. He struck a car in the intersection, tried to flee the scene but lost control going over a sidewalk through some bushes and into my car. But at least I was safe from door dings!

I don't like vans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 05:57 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,275,785 times
Counting deer hits, dozens.

Not counting deer hits, three that I recall. All low speed, limited damage, no injuries. The sort of thing where you're stopped at an intersection behind another car and it starts to go, so you begin inching up with your head turned to watch traffic approaching from the left and suddenly BANG! The guy who started to go changed his mind and you bump him. There might have been a couple of other times that I touched bumpers with someone in a crowded parking lot or something along those lines.

I also blew a brake line while pulling up to a Casey's General Store once and hit the building. When most people say "I ran in to Casey's" it means the entered the store to buy a snack or sue the bathroom. When I say "I ran into Casey's" I mean that I literally ran into Casey's.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:54 PM

24,474 posts, read 26,012,991 times
2 since 1957.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:33 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,918,925 times
I've only had one slight accident as a driver. I was 18 at the time and had a sweet Pontiac Gran Prix. I was going down a residential road and misjudged going around a parked car along the curb. I sideswiped the entire side of my car on the front corner of his bumper. I broke his directional lens and paid cash for the damage when he got the bill. My car was never repaired. Had a "groove" on that side for as long as I owned the car. Ugh!

School buses were a little worse for me.

When I was a little kid in grade school, the school bus I was on was struck by a car that was parked at a business alongside the road we were on. The car wasn't all the way in park and it out of park while unattended (not running). The car rolled down the slight grade and hit the side of our bus.

In high school, our school bus was rear-ended by a woman in a Nissan 240-280 Z car. Our bus was stopped and letting off kids in front of school and the lady just wasn't paying attention. She went in all the way up to the windshield wipers.

The same bus in high school approached the same drop-off point in front of school to let out the kids. However, the bus driver misjudged the approach and the right hand mirror caught a "no parking" sign, twisted the post, and the sign came through the windshield of the bus. (Oops!)

Old 08-20-2017, 01:02 PM

1,847 posts, read 833,583 times
None until I moved to Houston. After two years down there, I had three fender bender's not including two encounters with kids riding there bike into the car. Since moving away none.
First: waiting in slow moving traffic to get onto the freeway. A guy tried to swerve into a space between me and the car behind. bumped into the back of my car.
Second: Tourist infront of me was going 15 in a 35 and keep on slowing down to look at the shops. We both slowly pulled into a parking lot and sure enough they stop in the middle of the intersection with me right behind them. I couldn't take it anymore and tried to turn right. Wound up taping the spare tire cover on the back of there samurai.
Third: going about 40MPH on a eight lane road and a truck going the opposite direction does a u-Turn in front of me. Missed the truck, but wound up hitting the curb.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:17 AM

3 posts, read 1,881 times

Old 10-22-2017, 10:42 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,638 times
0!

Old 10-22-2017, 10:59 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
One, and boy did I get in trouble for that! I was with a guy from my high school and I wasn't allowed to be in his car. He had a VW bug. We're we're going really fast around a curve and he started to slide. First thing he did was hit the brakes and we rolled over two times and ended up upside down and spinning around. Neither of us got injured... thankfully, but the cops came and called my dad. He told me to tell the police that another car cut us off, but I already knew I was in deep poo and didn't want to get into more trouble by getting caught lying to the police. I said we were just going too fast and he lost control. I got grounded for two months and when you got grounded at my house.... there was no reduction of time or time off for good behavior. You did the entire two months and... were on probation for a couple more.

Old 10-23-2017, 04:17 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,780 times
Several. First was hitting a minivan. Last was hit by minivan.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:47 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,086,262 times
zero
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive