Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 03:56 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yes it is a bad idea. The better idea is to get your hands away from the steering wheel and down at your sides. You cannot brace against an automobile collision, only Wolverine can do that. Your bones and not made of adamantuim and they will snap. Worse, the power of the airbag deploying can smash you arm bones into or even through your face. This can actually kill you, but it is more likely to just mangle your facts and head (not to mention what happens to your arm bones).

IT is best to relax your muscles. Drunks often survive the accidents they cause killing the other driver, because the drunk is relaxed. You have a far better chance of surviving or minimizing injury if you are relaxed. Good luck with that.
After having survived a highway head on 1/1/17 I would have to say the above is total nonsense.

NO way or time to relax. You will do what is reflexively natural and you will brace.

Properly engineered cars and airbags can save your life. I had only minor airbag and seat belt injuries. My wife didn't fare as well, but no doubt the airbags saved her life.

Not so the offending party. Her motor killed her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 03:19 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,362,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
After having survived a highway head on 1/1/17 I would have to say the above is total nonsense.

NO way or time to relax. You will do what is reflexively natural and you will brace.

Properly engineered cars and airbags can save your life. I had only minor airbag and seat belt injuries. My wife didn't fare as well, but no doubt the airbags saved her life.

Not so the offending party. Her motor killed her.
Really you are both correct. In theory you are best off with the relaxation of a drunk. In reality most of the time you are at the mercy of physics. No time to plan for anything. See my post last page where I describe 2 mc wrecks where I launched to relative safety over my handlebars and the car that hit me while my machine went under and was crushed. The only control I had over that outcome was that my full panic stop didnt include a rear lockup prematurely laying it down. When I got up from the pavement a dozen yards down the road I had no idea how I didnt end up under the car too. The bike stopped but I didnt.

One thing that sticks with you after a seriously damaging wreck, especially the 3 I had where the vehicle was a total loss, is THE SOUND. The deafening roar of crushing steel. Jarred my nerves for weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive