Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 05:59 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,631,078 times

Advertisements

69 years old and never been involved in a car crash! Knock on wood. And never gotten a moving violation either, not that
I didn't deserve one a time or two!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 06:45 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,032,904 times
3 rear-enders so far in my life. 2 in America (the second one of which wrecked the car) & 1 in Kazakhstan. Way uncool. That's in 14 years of driving.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:58 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,188,113 times
I've never had a ticket or a wreck, even a fender bender. But I'm only 23 and have had my license for 4 years.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:20 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,790,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comedyshortsgamer View Post
for me - (touch wood) 0
3 minor ones, once I backed into a jerk who was trying to go to my right and had a semi turning, about to be squished, insurance company said "Next time, let your car be squished...jerk in the car tried to claim medical, that got shot down as he didn't have x-rays done...jerk...

Old 05-21-2016, 11:31 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
more than I wish to go into............three I should have died in...........not a scratch.......

Old 05-22-2016, 12:51 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,317,911 times
Well, once I backed out of my driveway in my huge SUV and I didn't notice my neighbors brand new little red sports car parked there so I kind of backed into his door.

Then there was the time I was backing up to park near a tree and I could see I wasn't close to the tree, but what I didn't know what that the tree had some sort of tumor sticking out of it that was at the height of my roof so I smashed my roof in a bit.

Then the last time.. well hopefully the last time, I was waiting at a red light when the idiot teenager driver behind me was too busy texting to see that the light was read and she rear ended my car. My car didn't have much damage because her little car went under mine but I came away with back and neck injuries that I'm still dealing with.

so, 3 accidents. 2 my fault, 1 not my fault.

Old 05-22-2016, 01:01 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,317,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
69 years old and never been involved in a car crash! Knock on wood. And never gotten a moving violation either, not that
I didn't deserve one a time or two!
Lol.. It helps to cry a lot if you get pulled over for a moving violation.

I went through a red light right in front of the police station and I got pulled over. The cop asked for my license so I was digging in my purse looking for it, dumping the contents of my purse on the seat, looking through papers and assorted junk and it was taking forever. By that time I was picturing myself getting arrested and was crying uncontrollably.. The cop finally told me to forget it and made me promise to buy a wallet to keep my license in.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:21 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times
Have had two since 1984. First one (early 90's) I was driving a wrecker with one of those big steel push bumpers and broadsided a lincoln that ran a stop sign, direct hit on the drivers door, he had a very bad day but lived.
Second was the end of 2014, some lady in a minivan pulled out blind in a 50MPH zone, totalled her minivan, $13k damage to my car, no injuries.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:15 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,064,235 times
Been lucky so far, hope this doesn't jinx me. Two, neither my fault. One was low speed. Young girl slide on some ice at a stop sign and caught the left rear. Did more damage to her car than mine.

The other was pretty bad. Stopped for traffic and a guy coming up behind over the speed limit plowed right into us. Only good thing is it was square on so all the force went right into the seat so we walked away, battered and bruised, but walking.

Had several close calls where people didn't seem to want to stop for a light. Was a witness to one where I was stopped at a red light and this guy blows past me in the left lane right into cross traffic. He tried to claim the light was green when he entered the intersection. Considering how he went past the line of stopped cars, don't know how he expected anyone to believe that.

Most bizarre was two guys cutting one another off on a two lane in Colorado. Saw them coming up behind, first one, then the other passing and cutting in on one another. One came around me, then the other. Next thing I knew they had both pulled off and jumped out into the road into a fist fight right in front of me. Sheer luck I was able to go onto the opposite shoulder without picking up two human hood ornaments. Insane.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:28 AM

2,921 posts, read 1,986,978 times
First one I'll mention is one that almost happened, which doesn't count I know, but: During the mid-1980's I was stationed in Scotland and used to drive to a little town high up in the Grampian Mountains. On the way down there was a lookout point, and from there I would then drive a relatively straight road for about a quarter mile or so fairly quickly where I'd then need to slow down before a curve. On this particular day when I was nearly to the curve a tour bus came around it going uphill in his lane, and about two thirds of mine. Only thing for me to do was judge how far I needed to get over to avoid being hit, and hope I didn't go off the side of the mountain. There was no guardrail and the incline was very steep, I would not have survived and can only imagine how brutal my death would have been. Fortunately, I had a small car, a 1979 Mitsubishi Colt Lancer, and avoided catastrophe.

First accident that actually occurred was also in Scotland in the same car. On my way to base to start my shift at about 10:30 at night I hit black ice. Went off the left side, bounced off a short, frozen hill, was redirected back across both lanes, jumped the curb, and was headed straight for another short frozen hill on a farmer's property. Thought for sure my car was going to buckle with me ending up with driver's wheel crushing my chest. Instead when the car hit the hill it then bounced right on top of it. My car was stuck so I had to go up to the farmhouse, where I met the farmer's wife who allowed me to call my supervisor and a friend who had to pick me up, and in the meantime the farmer's wife made me tea as I sat and talked to their very lovely daughter in the livingroom. Unfortunately, that's as far as I got with her, no dates or anything.

Second one was the worst as far as injuries. A couple of months before I left my final duty station in southern W. Germany I was driving a friend up to Augsburg to take care of some military business that was required of her. Driving in the passing lane I saw a vehicle driving up behind me quickly, so after completing my pass I got over and the car that was passing me then got in front of me in the middle lane and slowed down - slower than I was going, so I passed her. As I passed her I noticed she was playing with the CD player or radio, and I hoped she wouldn't get back behind me again. Well, she did. Then traffic bunched up and I was stuck in the passing lane. All of a sudden I saw three lanes of brake lights, so I slammed on my brakes. Everyone did, except the lady behind me until it was way too late. When I realized I was going to avoid hitting the car in front of me I looked in my mirror and saw the biggest Jeep I'd ever seen with the front lowered as she was hitting the brakes hard. I estimate she was still going 70 or 80 when she hit me, but it could have been a little lower. Ironic it was a Jeep by the way, as I'm from Toledo.

After hitting me the front of my car raised off the ground and when it slammed back down I turned the wheel to the left to avoid hitting the car in front of me that had 5 elderly people in it, and I slammed into the guardrail. As fast as I was going I thought I might actually flip over the guardrail, but it was set up well because it was probably set about 10 feet away from the highway, giving the car time to slow down before we hit hit it.

At first thought I just had whiplash but it turned out much worse than that. Messed up my back (lower back especially) pretty bad, my neck, and my abdomen where the seatbelt was restraining me. Never went to the doctor in W. Germany because I knew they'd just have to give me a referral to Augsburg and I didn't have enough time left at that base to make it to an appointment date. Planned on taking care of it while out processing in Philadelphia, but was told I'd need to take two or three shuttle vans each way, there was only one each day, and I couldn't miss it or I'd be stuck all night. As if a medical appointment would be kept on time. Didn't want to risk not getting back when I was supposed to, so decided I'd wait and go to the VA when I got home. And then I had a very rough transition to civilian life while trying to find a job, which took months, so the last thing on my mind was going to the VA. Plus, I never wanted to get VA disability even though I knew I would have qualified. Looking back I regret that, because boy, if I knew then what I know now, I would have applied. Have never been able to work a physical job and have had many physical challenges due to these injuries. Such is life.

Third one was when the tire off a semi shredded off and first hit the car in front of me, then went under my Saturn SW2 Wagon. It did some serious damage that mechanics at Saturn couldn't even find and my car would get very warm for the rest of the time I had it. Ridiculous that one of those mechanics wouldn't take the proper time to find the problem. Still ticks me off thinking about it.

Fourth, a cute little school teacher went through a flashing red light without looking back to her left, as I was turning to go down that street. Got t-boned and my Saturn was totalled.

Fifth and hopefully final time, President's Day, 2011, I was driving my beautiful 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis down the highway to work at about 50 miles an hour after an ice storm the night before, and cars were passing me going 60-65 at least. Under an overpass I hit black ice and my car started spinning. If anyone knows those cars they know how poorly they handle on wet or slippery surfaces. I tried correcting the back end from spinning as gently as I could, but the car over corrected each time anyway, and the final time it locked up and I ended up going backwards off the highway down the embankment where I landed at a bad angle in the snow and small trees. Outside of sore ribs I was fine. The Highway Patrolman told me he wasn't going to cite me because he knew how bad those cars handle, and one the two guys that had stopped to help told me his parents had a Grand Marquis and he knew how bad they handled and wanted to make sure I was alright. The one good thing about the car is because it was big it kept me safe. But really, I don't know how they are allowed to be on the road if it's known how poorly they handle on wet and icy surfaces. I mean it's REALLY BAD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive