Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2017, 09:57 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,679,819 times

Advertisements

I can see why driving has become a terrible experience, it's just another video game for so many here in America. Speeding--The number one reason for so many wrecks, and speeding while texting is a close second. I always try to drive in the "cooperative" mode, so it goes without saying that we all need to share the highways, unfortunately, something that is lost on most of the population. I see the pileups continuing in spite of the fact that most of those causing them are usually in a big damn hurry to get somewhere--- and then they crash, and spend the day in a hospital or worse.

On highway gamers: When reading the posts in this thread I see the comments from those who I seem to have the most trouble with. The poster who uses his trailer as a weapon of intimidation, the other who feels his Roman chariot "stinger" to be something he takes pride in, and more who feel that driving is a game, and they play to win. These social misfits are the bane of America, and not necessarily because of their driving insanity---but moreover, their sense of themselves as a kind of tough guy--inside their steel cages, but once outside they are usually the diminutive weenies we'd expect this kind of behavior from.

The thought of traffic being subjected to a type of automation is somewhat unnerving, but on closer scrutiny I'd have to say that maybe the time has come for something other than the human brain to be in control on our ever more dangerous highways. Humans have been morphing into something of an ugly selfish caricature of their old selves, the spread of entitled notions among self serving idiots seems to be a signal which we can't ignore, and no place demonstrates this as much as our highways do. Patience, civility, cooperation, caring and kindness, all a thing of the past, it's all about Meeee!!!

Old 03-14-2017, 09:58 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,072,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Let's say the speed limit is 75. I'm doing 81 in the left lane and passing a line of cars... it's gonna take a few minutes.

I don't care if you feel entitled to go 90- you're just gonna have to wait til I get around them.

Yeah, I know it's technically illegal. So is going 81 in a 75. So is going 90 in a 75. All of us break traffic laws every day. Why should I care about your pet peeve?
IMO, you are doing it correctly. You are passing people on your right and then moving over to the right when it is safe to do so.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:59 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
In my experience, the options are pretty limited for entitled speeder-snowflakes. They can tailgate, flash lights, and post rage-threads on the internet. Or make silly keyboard-warrior threats like Toyman at Jewel Lake.

None of these has pushed me out of the left lane yet

Really ? They are breaking the law by going over the speed limit, you are breaking it by not moving over. What makes you so entitled ?

Old 03-14-2017, 10:10 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,434,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I can see why driving has become a terrible experience, it's just another video game for so many here in America. Speeding--The number one reason for so many wrecks, and speeding while texting is a close second.
Actually, speeding is not the #1 cause of accidents. Distracted driving is (drunk driving is #2). And according to Business Insider, failure to keep in proper lane is actually the #1 cause of fatal accidents. Link below:

The cause of the most fatal car crashes - Business Insider

Old 03-14-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Guess what...that is not for you to determine. Now get the F over !

Michigan State Police targeting left lane drivers | News | thenewsherald.com
Thanks for that great piece of comedy..The state Patrol is obviously hurting for $$$ and sees this as a way to enrich the state coffers, stopping a guy in the late hours of night, he attempts to make a case for his hijacking of an innocent man. Meanwhile, back at the road ranch the maniacal speeders, are, in his words, something "we'll catch," and we believe that? Here in my state the left lane is the death lane of maniacs all riding each others rear ends, at eighty and beyond, they routinely smash into each other and then cause everyone to stop. So much for hurrying.

What is so all powerful in the minds of those who see such stupidity as an acceptable thing? I don't drive in the fast lane unless I am passing, but more than ever I just go along at the limit and relax. But, the maniacs aren't contained to the left lane, nooo, they are all over the freeway careening back and forth across all lanes going like hell and the rest of us just have to put up with it because Trooper Tom is busy with those left lane scofflaws.........

Last edited by jertheber; 03-14-2017 at 10:25 AM..

Old 03-14-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Actually, speeding is not the #1 cause of accidents. Distracted driving is (drunk driving is #2). And according to Business Insider, failure to keep in proper lane is actually the #1 cause of fatal accidents. Link below:

The cause of the most fatal car crashes - Business Insider
Please don't assume that your sources are indisputable, I've been driving for over fifty years and know that excessive speed is the cause of many of the worst accidents. Yes distraction is certainly up there, but speeding when the driver is lacking in experience is an all too common thing. Driving has become a video game for many..

We can all find articles which seem to support our feelings, but, those who are distracted are the same people who speed and drive carelessly, no matter how you want to phrase it. On our local freeways the speed limit is seventy, at eighty and beyond, the road becomes much harder to navigate especially when traffic is too heavy for that level of speed.

Note the bully tone of those who feel entitled, no matter their take on things, it's the TONE of their stated views that give away the fact of their anger and rage at what they feel is a violation of a kind of "right" to either intimidate or provoke others into doing what THEY want. Get it?, It's all about THEM and not highway safety..

Old 03-14-2017, 10:39 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,000,682 times
Quote:
Please don't assume that your sources are indisputable, I've been driving for over fifty years and know that excessive speed is the cause of many of the worst accidents. Yes distraction is certainly up there, but speeding when the driver is lacking in experience is an all too common thing. Driving has become a video game for many..

We can all find articles which seem to support our feelings, but, those who are distracted are the same people who speed and drive carelessly, no matter how you want to phrase it. On our local freeways the speed limit is seventy, at eighty and beyond, the road becomes much harder to navigate especially when traffic is too heavy for that level of speed.

Note the bully tone of those who feel entitled, no matter their take on things, it's the TONE of their stated views that give away the fact of their anger and rage at what they feel is a violation of a kind of "right" to either intimidate or provoke others into doing what THEY want. Get it?, It's all about THEM and not highway safety..
I've also been driving for.."over 50 years".. (57 years to be exact ).

I remember the Federal mandate to lower speed limits in the early 1970's and that had nothing to do with safety ,but entirely to conserve gasoline due to Arab oil embargo.

I read my statewide daily newspaper that lists every fatality in the state and a description.

By far, the #1 culprit is distracted driving.

"crossed centerline and hit head on "
"hit shoulder of road and over corrected "

usually added to the above is..........."road condition was dry at the time "

and even if some accidents had speed involved, many would be alive if they wore seat belts
....."ejected from vehicle "..........Is, sadly, still taking too many lives.

The only time I see "speed" as a major danger is in bad road conditions and when trying to out run the police

Old 03-14-2017, 10:41 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,434,906 times
Quote:

So if we can all find articles to support our feelings, where are the articles saying that speeding causes the most accidents? Here's a couple (from reputable sources) that state otherwise:

Top 15 Causes Of Car Accidents And How You Can Prevent Them | The Huffington Post

Distracted driving is a leading cause of car accidents - Daily Southtown

I'm not saying that speeding a a good thing, but there is a huge difference between going 65 in a 60 mph zone and going 100. Most distracted drivers, in fact, are NOT speeding. But they fail to see a car stop in front of them, a light change to red, or that they have drifted into oncoming traffic.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Really ? They are breaking the law by going over the speed limit, you are breaking it by not moving over. What makes you so entitled ?
I don't agree with the idea of driving in the left lane as a thing I have a "right to," but, at day's end I do know that anger has no place on the highway when we consider the lack of rational thought that usually accompanies anger. I just go around all slower drivers, and slow down to accommodate the reality of heavy traffic. Let's face it, we don't have problems when we have the road to ourselves, so it really is about the lack of a sharing attitude..

I remember the traffic in LA in the seventies, way before distraction was a factor, but speed and angry drivers were the norm, tons of crashes daily, and deathly highways were viewed as a place for road "warriors" to act out their aggressions. Scenes of over one hundred car pileups were becoming more common and the road battles continued to take lives, all because some idiots wanted to get home to watch TV..These days I'm left to wonder what the insane hurrying is all about..

Old 03-14-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
So if we can all find articles to support our feelings, where are the articles saying that speeding causes the most accidents? Here's a couple (from reputable sources) that state otherwise:

Top 15 Causes Of Car Accidents And How You Can Prevent Them | The Huffington Post

Distracted driving is a leading cause of car accidents - Daily Southtown

I'm not saying that speeding a a good thing, but there is a huge difference between going 65 in a 60 mph zone and going 100. Most distracted drivers, in fact, are NOT speeding. But they fail to see a car stop in front of them, a light change to red, or that they have drifted into oncoming traffic.
I'm a high mileage driver, usually around twenty thousand a year or more, and in that compilation of miles I see the distracted drivers as a growing danger, but, I also see the over the top speeders as a threat to others also. It's really about the attitude of both speeders and the perennially distracted folks.

Law enforcement compiles data at the scene of the accident itself and rarely has any clue to what led up to that accident. Potential witnesses are going by at hwy speed and are gone in a flash. But the phrase "speed was a factor" is pretty common. Those who are driving safely know their speed and attentiveness are huge factors to road survival, they are "thinking safety" and in that mode they constitute the safest drivers out there. Many of the speeders are also the same ones who fiddle with their phones, music, and other distractions.

I guess what I'm saying is that "unsafe driving" covers a multitude of factors, and most of us know what those are and try to avoid them. The road warriors who want to utilize the left lanes as their own speeders haven are welcome to it, but, speeding isn't more acceptable because it happens in the left lane, and, the fact of distraction being a component of the hwy danger in no way excuses those who are paying full attention at eighty and above unless they are in parts of Wyoming or Nevada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive