Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2017, 07:33 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Wanna really see butt hurt...
Park a diesel in the kohl's parking lot where they recharge hybrids
Oh that one works like a charm!
not just park it, but let it idle as well

Quote:
No minivans allowed. Ever. If I ever spawn minions, they'll be in the back seat of a truck, or a Tahoe. If not, Cadillac Fleetwood brougham.
minivans are not so bad, as long as they are good ones, like a chevy astro, or kenny brown modified windstar.

Quote:
I would want them in something crash worthy, and a 48 Packard is hard to come by.
true, but old cadillacs and lincolns are still available, as are the big chryslers.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:33 PM

749 posts, read 733,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Pissing truck-haters off is just one more reason to drive a truck, isn't it?
I look at truck-haters pretty much the same way I look at Prius-haters. Two words: Bite me.

I'll drive what I decide to drive, regardless of what anyone else thinks. And I'll allow everyone else the same luxury.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:27 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
I look at truck-haters pretty much the same way I look at Prius-haters. Two words: Bite me.

I'll drive what I decide to drive, regardless of what anyone else thinks. And I'll allow everyone else the same luxury.
well said. personally i dont like the prius, but i wont denigrate anyone that does like them.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:39 PM

749 posts, read 733,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
well said. personally i dont like the prius, but i wont denigrate anyone that does like them.
Yep. No offense to you at all, but I couldn't care less if you like the Prius. If it made financial sense I'd have one, whether you like it or not. And I would assume that your view toward my opinions would be the same.

I drive a 4x4 truck because I both need to and want to. End of story.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:05 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
LOL

They aren't hard to build... nor astronomically expensive to build, especially if you know how a carburetor and distributor work...
Had two S10 hack jobs. I want a factory S10 Xtreme with the same LS3 my Vette has.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:17 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
People claiming some sort of moral high ground because they drive a hybrid compared to anything else with 4 wheels and an engine are just being silly and uninformed. Building Priuses is just as bad for the environment and an equally wasteful use of materials and manufacturing capacity as building F-350's is

Old 05-10-2017, 06:33 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
People claiming some sort of moral high ground because they drive a hybrid compared to anything else with 4 wheels and an engine are just being silly and uninformed. Building Priuses is just as bad for the environment and an equally wasteful use of materials and manufacturing capacity as building F-350's is

Exactly. No one wants to talk about the elephant in the room when discussing hybrids and electric cars... (the environmental effect of disposing of the batteries) Neither vehicle are environmentally friendly. Nothing that is driven by a motor is going to save the environment and people who think they are seem to be fooled into believing they are doing something good. Hint.... electricity is produced mainly by coal, fuel oil, or natural gas. So your decrease of using fuel to pollute the environment directly is offset by the need for more electricity to charge the car which increases the amount of fuel needed to produce electricity for you.

Here's an honest question that I'd like a truck hater to answer.

I know of quite a few hybrid owners who live in very large homes (3k sq.ft+). If I follow the logic of the OP, they don't really need those right? They should live in small homes because they don't really need that third and fourth bedroom, or that pool, or that 70" flat screen TV, or that huge kitchen with commercial appliances that consume a lot more energy.

That sounds silly, right? They should be able to live in a home that meets their needs and wants, and is comfortable correct? Why isn't that the same mentality for vehicles?

Old 05-10-2017, 07:45 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Exactly. No one wants to talk about the elephant in the room when discussing hybrids and electric cars... (the environmental effect of disposing of the batteries) Neither vehicle are environmentally friendly. Nothing that is driven by a motor is going to save the environment and people who think they are seem to be fooled into believing they are doing something good. Hint.... electricity is produced mainly by coal, fuel oil, or natural gas. So your decrease of using fuel to pollute the environment directly is offset by the need for more electricity to charge the car which increases the amount of fuel needed to produce electricity for you.

Here's an honest question that I'd like a truck hater to answer.

I know of quite a few hybrid owners who live in very large homes (3k sq.ft+). If I follow the logic of the OP, they don't really need those right? They should live in small homes because they don't really need that third and fourth bedroom, or that pool, or that 70" flat screen TV, or that huge kitchen with commercial appliances that consume a lot more energy.

That sounds silly, right? They should be able to live in a home that meets their needs and wants, and is comfortable correct? Why isn't that the same mentality for vehicles?

Because then they wouldn't have the argument of how they are saving the world. If you really want to save the world buy a used car and refurbish it. The vehicles environmental impact is already done because it's been built. and its current impact is minimized because you don't need as much material to refurbish it.

The recycling of the electric car batteries is bad enough. It's even worse at the stage where the materials are being mined/processed and then the process of building the batteries.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:04 AM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
I think that's one of the most stupid buys ever, just to buy a truck when you are never going to haul or tow with it. But if you use the flatbed for the deer you just killed, that's ok. If you're just buying a Ford F150 Platinum 4x4 to look good and not use it, I guess that's your style but man is that a waste of @#$%

So why else would you have a truck if you don't use it for the reasons stated?

Back when I didn't know much about trucks, I was really shocked that the Ford F150 was America's best selling vehicle! Is that because many people live in situations like rural America [e.g. KY] where it's better to have a 4x4 truck?
You might want to find more pressing issues to worry about.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:35 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
This thread could really be about any vehicle. Very few people have a strong NEED for a vehicle outside of it running from point A to point B. Many people buy vehicles because it is what they WANT. There is nothing wrong with this as it is there money after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive