Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 01:23 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,774,511 times

Advertisements

Reasons I drive a F-150 pickup and a medium size SUV (Ford Explorer).

1: I am a long bodied, 6'2" older male. The cars they build today, have such seats and roofs, to help the fuel efficiency, I simply cannot even sit in one, and I am too old to have to go through the contortions I have to do to even get into a modern car. My SUV and pickup, are easy to enter and exit.

2: They are considered the most dangerous cars on the road according to a lot of people. Not dangerous to those driving them, but dangerous to someone that runs into them. For the people that drive them, they are the safest vehicle on the road. In addition when someone sees they are about to run into a big pickup or SUV, they do everything they can, to avoid an accident.

3: Comes snow conditions, and I have never been stuck. We put on studded snow tires in the winter, and with 4X4 advanced system drive, just dial in road conditions and you are going to go through snow. Even if they put Chain Law into effect, where they close the road to anyone without tire chains installed, 4X4 and studded snow tires, is rated the same as chains and you do not have to put on chains even in the worst conditions.

4: Durability. They are bigger, tougher, and need far less maintenance that cars without the beefed up systems, engines, etc. that are standard with trucks. They are more heavy duty, and can last a lot longer than cars, with less spent on maintaining them.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:08 PM

17,597 posts, read 13,378,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
I think that's one of the most stupid buys ever, just to buy a truck when you are never going to haul or tow with it. But if you use the flatbed for the deer you just killed, that's ok. If you're just buying a Ford F150 Platinum 4x4 to look good and not use it, I guess that's your style but man is that a waste of @#$%

So why else would you have a truck if you don't use it for the reasons stated?

Back when I didn't know much about trucks, I was really shocked that the Ford F150 was America's best selling vehicle! Is that because many people live in situations like rural America [e.g. KY] where it's better to have a 4x4 truck?
Who cares what someone else buys with their own money?

Who knows what they need, or why they need it?

Who'se business is it anyway? Not yours

Old 05-08-2017, 04:41 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,166,055 times
Those of us who actually use our trucks, laugh at those who drive "mall crawlers" and "pavement princesses."

Old 05-08-2017, 04:41 PM

30,455 posts, read 21,298,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Who cares what someone else buys with their own money?

Who knows what they need, or why they need it?

Who'se business is it anyway? Not yours
I agree. I just have fun beating truck owners that wanna take on my C6 Vette.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:49 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Oh, I had to move a jammed packed 10 x 25 storage to a 12 x 50 storage and I packed up my 2016 Legend 6x15 TA ALuminum Trailer up to the max. But the trailer only weighed a total of 3150 lbs or so, but my 2005 tow package Dodge Grand Caravan SXT weighed 6120 lbs or so. So I was over 8600 GCVW and yet my minivan hauled with ease, but I drove it in [3].

Yeah, and I had this weighed at a Pilot Truck Certified Stop Scale.
How much was the ticket?

Old 05-08-2017, 04:56 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Those of us who actually use our trucks, laugh at those who drive "mall crawlers" and "pavement princesses."
Or people bragging about towing illegally overloaded trailers with minivans.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:21 PM

749 posts, read 735,833 times
Quote:
I think that's one of the most stupid buys ever, just to buy a truck when you are never going to haul or tow with it. But if you use the flatbed for the deer you just killed, that's ok. If you're just buying a Ford F150 Platinum 4x4 to look good and not use it, I guess that's your style but man is that a waste of @#$%

So why else would you have a truck if you don't use it for the reasons stated?

Back when I didn't know much about trucks, I was really shocked that the Ford F150 was America's best selling vehicle! Is that because many people live in situations like rural America [e.g. KY] where it's better to have a 4x4 truck?
The whole line about F-series Ford trucks being the "best-selling trucks in the world" is BS. General Motors sells more trucks than Ford, but they don't label them all the same. If every GM truck sold was a Silverado, the Silverado would be the best-selling truck in the world.

That said, I really don't care what you (or anyone else) drives. Driving a pickup truck is no more stupid than driving a high-end Mercedes or Lexus or Porsche. To each his own.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:40 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,489,236 times
I not a truck person but I won't judge people that do. Why do I mostly drive alone in a 5 seater car when I could drive a 2 seater more fuel efficient car? As for fuel economy... someone who drives a large truck but has a 10 mile round trip commute to work uses less fuel than someone who drives a Prius 50 miles round trip to work.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:05 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,253,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
The whole line about F-series Ford trucks being the "best-selling trucks in the world" is BS. General Motors sells more trucks than Ford, but they don't label them all the same. If every GM truck sold was a Silverado, the Silverado would be the best-selling truck in the world.

That said, I really don't care what you (or anyone else) drives. Driving a pickup truck is no more stupid than driving a high-end Mercedes or Lexus or Porsche. To each his own.
Under a model name F150 Ford is the best selling. But you are correct by saying that if you combine Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra into one model they would exceed the Ford. However, there has been great debate if GM did away with the Sierra would those sales go toward Silverado? So if they did close GMC would Silverado pick up all those sales? Honestly, I don't think GM will do away with GMC since trucks are BIG money makers and a lot of those GMC dealers used to be Pontiac Buick and GM already took Pontiac from them.
Just my thoughts.

As for driving a truck; I say drive what you want, if someone does not like it, ignore them. That's what I do and have done. I have had people condemn me for driving a Vettes, Hummers, and Trucks. Someday if I ever get the extra time, I might actually sit back and see if I really care what they thought.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:54 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,813,277 times
I was just thinking, we do use the full size truck at the farm but I'm getting older and don't go down there as much. It might make sense to just leave the big truck at the farm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive