Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 02:25 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,115,685 times

Advertisements

I think that's one of the most stupid buys ever, just to buy a truck when you are never going to haul or tow with it. But if you use the flatbed for the deer you just killed, that's ok. If you're just buying a Ford F150 Platinum 4x4 to look good and not use it, I guess that's your style but man is that a waste of @#$%

So why else would you have a truck if you don't use it for the reasons stated?

Back when I didn't know much about trucks, I was really shocked that the Ford F150 was America's best selling vehicle! Is that because many people live in situations like rural America [e.g. KY] where it's better to have a 4x4 truck?

Old 05-06-2017, 02:35 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,130,639 times
Lots of people buy trucks and never haul anything in the bed except for groceries. They buy them to make up for shortcomings. On this very forum is a thread "Should I buy a truck or a sports car". There are lots of people that need trucks but I think the vast majority of truck buyers do not. Trucks are too big these days, too. Not only do they guzzle gas, they take up a lot of room on the streets and parking lots, too.

I am an avid do it yourselfer. I have a 1993 Nissan truck that I bought new. It's given me 24 years of good service and great mpg. I will never buy another truck because even the so called compact trucks are too big and thirsty these days.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:43 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,820,398 times
Many people who live in areas where there it snows like to have trucks so they have something with 4wd. I had one before I moved south. My father just bought a new truck because he needs to have one vehicle with 4wd for the winter weather. He had a 4wd SUV and a 2wd truck. He sold the SUV and traded in the 2wd truck on a 4WD truck, thus eliminating the additional vehicle and the expenses that go with it.

Today, a crewcab pickup is a 2 in 1 vehicle for many people. That's why they sell so many. You can haul a decent number of people and a bunch of stuff, just like an SUV. But, it's still a truck so you can still carry around the nasty stuff without having to worry about dirtying the interior.

Myself, I don't really need a truck as much as I want a truck. It would make life easier to go to Lowes or Home Depot to pick up a bunch of mulch, lumber, or whatever. I currently use our SUV for that stuff, but my wife gripes about it each and every time.

Plus, if I ever get enough free time to do more fishing in the next few years, it would be beneficial to have a truck. There are some spots where you need a 4wd to go fish off the beach (which I do have in the SUV) but a truck would be easier to keep cleaner. It's alot easier to hose out a truck bed than clean the interior of an SUV.

That being said, I'd probably opt for a Honda Ridgeline as it's enough truck for my needs. Although, with Ford bringing back the venerable Ranger - I may give that a serious look.

In reality, it's no more of a waste of $$ than buying a high-dollar European sports sedan if that's what a person wants. At least the truck has more practical uses.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:59 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,496,456 times
Not this shiite again. All it does is bring out inferiority projection...like one reply in.

Look, most people don't drive econoboxes with a butt in every seat and the trunk full of stuff, but us truck buys don't complain about it.

Oh, I'm moving this month. I'll let you hook up a 6x12 cargo trailer to your mode of transportation and pull my furniture to the new place if you're that concerned...

Old 05-06-2017, 03:10 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,970,381 times
I wish we had older pickup in our family. There's always a use /need for a truck moving towing hauling.

Old 05-06-2017, 03:32 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Many people who live in areas where there it snows like to have trucks so they have something with 4wd. I had one before I moved south. My father just bought a new truck because he needs to have one vehicle with 4wd for the winter weather. He had a 4wd SUV and a 2wd truck. He sold the SUV and traded in the 2wd truck on a 4WD truck, thus eliminating the additional vehicle and the expenses that go with it.

Today, a crewcab pickup is a 2 in 1 vehicle for many people. That's why they sell so many. You can haul a decent number of people and a bunch of stuff, just like an SUV. But, it's still a truck so you can still carry around the nasty stuff without having to worry about dirtying the interior.

Myself, I don't really need a truck as much as I want a truck. It would make life easier to go to Lowes or Home Depot to pick up a bunch of mulch, lumber, or whatever. I currently use our SUV for that stuff, but my wife gripes about it each and every time.

Plus, if I ever get enough free time to do more fishing in the next few years, it would be beneficial to have a truck. There are some spots where you need a 4wd to go fish off the beach (which I do have in the SUV) but a truck would be easier to keep cleaner. It's alot easier to hose out a truck bed than clean the interior of an SUV.

That being said, I'd probably opt for a Honda Ridgeline as it's enough truck for my needs. Although, with Ford bringing back the venerable Ranger - I may give that a serious look.

In reality, it's no more of a waste of $$ than buying a high-dollar European sports sedan if that's what a person wants. At least the truck has more practical uses.
I am excited for the new Ford Ranger. Ford never should of discontinued its small pick up line. Chevy had its S10 and now the Colorado. My brother has a 2014 Colorado with the 4 door trim. Great for his growing family. Toyota has its Tacoma. Nissan...the Frontier and so forth.

My father bought a used 2000 Ford Ranger Pick up in 2005. That thing is a workhorse. And parts are cheap compared to other vehicles too.

Old 05-06-2017, 03:36 PM

676 posts, read 725,439 times
Because trucks are AWESOME!!!! Need I say more

Old 05-06-2017, 03:42 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,249,100 times
I had a junky 4x4 Chevy truck that my drunk BIL slow rolled in a ditch.
He needed $1700 to stay out of jail and I had back wheel drive cars that didn't like snow.

Does that count as stupid?

Old 05-06-2017, 03:42 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,115,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Not this shiite again. All it does is bring out inferiority projection...like one reply in.

Look, most people don't drive econoboxes with a butt in every seat and the trunk full of stuff, but us truck buys don't complain about it.

Oh, I'm moving this month. I'll let you hook up a 6x12 cargo trailer to your mode of transportation and pull my furniture to the new place if you're that concerned...
Oh, I had to move a jammed packed 10 x 25 storage to a 12 x 50 storage and I packed up my 2016 Legend 6x15 TA ALuminum Trailer up to the max. But the trailer only weighed a total of 3150 lbs or so, but my 2005 tow package Dodge Grand Caravan SXT weighed 6120 lbs or so. So I was over 8600 GCVW and yet my minivan hauled with ease, but I drove it in [3].

Yeah, and I had this weighed at a Pilot Truck Certified Stop Scale.

Old 05-06-2017, 03:49 PM

9,500 posts, read 4,334,691 times
Meh. To each his own.

I currently own a truck (and several cars) because I use it regularly for stuff that would be impossible or difficult to accomplish with a car. However, I can't imagine using a truck as my daily driver or only transportation. Too big, too slow, too thirsty, poor handling, etc. However, some people just like trucks. I like fast cars that handle well. Some people don't. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream. Not every decision in life is based on logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive