Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 07:42 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,502,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
Oh, I had to move a jammed packed 10 x 25 storage to a 12 x 50 storage and I packed up my 2016 Legend 6x15 TA ALuminum Trailer up to the max. But the trailer only weighed a total of 3150 lbs or so, but my 2005 tow package Dodge Grand Caravan SXT weighed 6120 lbs or so. So I was over 8600 GCVW and yet my minivan hauled with ease, but I drove it in [3].

Yeah, and I had this weighed at a Pilot Truck Certified Stop Scale.
But can you fit the wife and kids in the back watching a dvd, and a quad or 2 dirt bikes in the cargo area?

How about your crew when you have a small block anchored down in the bed to swap into a race car that's on the trailer behind you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Lots of people buy trucks and never haul anything in the bed except for groceries. They buy them to make up for shortcomings. On this very forum is a thread "Should I buy a truck or a sports car". There are lots of people that need trucks but I think the vast majority of truck buyers do not. Trucks are too big these days, too. Not only do they guzzle gas, they take up a lot of room on the streets and parking lots, too.

I am an avid do it yourselfer. I have a 1993 Nissan truck that I bought new. It's given me 24 years of good service and great mpg. I will never buy another truck because even the so called compact trucks are too big and thirsty these days.
Before I threw headers, went catless and had a custom written tune, my 14 Silverado was getting 28 sometimes 30mpg in 4cyl mode doing 70...
The rams with DOD hemis were getting 22-28mpg...

These aren't old carbed, or Tbi small blocks anymore...

Ditch the emissions BS from diesels the mpgs get out of single and low teens to high teens low 20s... especially if they have the trashcan of doom-Destroys Pickups Fast deleted...

Old 05-06-2017, 08:10 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,813,277 times
We've got a full sized pickup that mainly sits in the garage. We also have a little Ranger that gets quite a bit of use for gardening, home repair and the like. Our adult children use it more than we do.

However, we mostly use a regular car for normal driving around, and occasionally take the train or a bus.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:15 PM

1,195 posts, read 987,191 times
Quote:
I think that's one of the most stupid buys ever, just to buy a truck when you are never going to haul or tow with it. But if you use the flatbed for the deer you just killed, that's ok. If you're just buying a Ford F150 Platinum 4x4 to look good and not use it, I guess that's your style but man is that a waste of @#$%

So why else would you have a truck if you don't use it for the reasons stated?

Back when I didn't know much about trucks, I was really shocked that the Ford F150 was America's best selling vehicle! Is that because many people live in situations like rural America [e.g. KY] where it's better to have a 4x4 truck?
I don't always get why most trucks now days are crew-cabs, I wonder why not just get an SUV if you're a family man? I have a single cab with an 8' bed which has come in handy so many times. I can fit almost anything in there without tying it down or needing a trailer.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:19 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times
Quote:
I think that's one of the most stupid buys ever, just to buy a truck when you are never going to haul or tow with it. But if you use the flatbed for the deer you just killed, that's ok. If you're just buying a Ford F150 Platinum 4x4 to look good and not use it, I guess that's your style but man is that a waste of @#$%

So why else would you have a truck if you don't use it for the reasons stated?

Back when I didn't know much about trucks, I was really shocked that the Ford F150 was America's best selling vehicle! Is that because many people live in situations like rural America [e.g. KY] where it's better to have a 4x4 truck?
What's it to you what someone does with their money. The world would be a easier place to live if people stopped telling everyone what they should and shouldn't purchase because they don't think it's stupid or not needed

Old 05-06-2017, 08:19 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,835,361 times
They never got one as a toy when they were a kid.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:34 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,830,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
I don't always get why most trucks now days are crew-cabs, I wonder why not just get an SUV if you're a family man? I have a single cab with an 8' bed which has come in handy so many times. I can fit almost anything in there without tying it down or needing a trailer.
Not everyone can afford both an SUV and a truck if they need capabilities of both. A crew cab truck is a good solution. With a bed-extender the shorter bed is not an issue most of the time.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:34 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,262,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde;
Oh, and they'll tow a modest amount, like small trailers
Colorado diesel can tow up to 7700 lbs. That's not a modest amount.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:38 PM

1,195 posts, read 987,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Not everyone can afford both an SUV and a truck if they need capabilities of both. A crew cab truck is a good solution.
SUVs are very capable. The crew cabs with a short bed carry no more than the back of a full size SUV. The payload capacity on crew cabs are pretty bad as well. They can't hold 4 adults and a bed of gravel with out maxing out the payload.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:38 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
OP, how in the world is it your choice to decide who needs a truck and who doesn't?
Since it is not your money it is none of your business.

*for the record we have 2 semi's, 1 pickup truck, 1 flat bed truck and 2 suburbans and we 2 without children in our home*

Old 05-06-2017, 08:54 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,085,192 times
When I see a big pick up jacked up about three feet with monster size tires and big fat chrome exhaust pipes belching out black diesel smoke, I start to sing--- Macho macho man, I want to be a macho man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive