Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 09:33 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,581,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I hate lifted red neck trucks. Only like small S10 size trucks.
Even funnier is when the guy who climbs down out of it with his little ladder is 5'6.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:41 AM

30,438 posts, read 21,280,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Even funnier is when the guy who climbs down out of it with his little ladder is 5'6.
Or when they try to race me in my C6 Vette. I just wave and go WOT to 140mph+.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:43 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,500,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I buy according to my needs/likes. If I like a car and it fits my needs, I'll buy it.

I have absolutely no need for a big truck or pickup therefore I will never consider one even if I like it. Since moving down south I've noticed having a big truck is the "macho" thing to drive amongst some men. I'm in Florida along the gulf and I see ridiculously lifted trucks every single day despite the fact that it never snows here nor do these guys go mudding. So what's the point!?
My work Truck has lift and tires.
The dump where I take brush to has a long dirt access road that leads up to where you get rid of debris. The road is annihilated from tri axles and heavy equipment. Reminiscent of a woops section for dirt bikes.

A stock height truck would jam the frame rails. And when towing a 20 ft dump trailer... last thing you want to do is sit even lower from the added weight from wet heavy palm trunks fronds and those super tall pines we have down here.

That's the closest it will get to a mud pit. Its got far too many electronics to get waffled up by water/mud intrusion. Its not like I go to Okeechobee mud fest with it...
If I want a mud truck an old K20 with an NP cast iron transfer case with a high revving small block is what I would build to tear stuff up... that's what I used to build when I lived in NY. Old K series trucks and blazers. Had a few older ford's but Windsor blocks would give up the ghost and modifieds and Clevelands commanded a lot of money.
I give credit where credit is due...
Ford had a great thing with the 351/400 modified, 351 Cleveland, and 390FE.
You might spin a bearing, but you couldn't hurt the block! Probably had a higher Nickle content than the 3970010 casting blocks I used for stock cars...

Old 05-07-2017, 09:47 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Or when they try to race me in my C6 Vette. I just wave and go WOT to 140mph+.
Yeah, Corvettes are sexy and I like them better than Porsches. And when I worked in Bowling Green I visited the Corvette Assembly Plant and Museum. If you like your Corvette so much, go take a trip there to see how it's made!

Old 05-07-2017, 09:59 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
Nah, I was just making a comment on how stupidly illogical it is to have a truck when you don't use it for truck purposes. But man, some trucks do look so nice, you'd do the illogical thing and just buy it. I carry a camera around and when I see the best examples of trucks parked, I snap pictures of it for "truck pforn..." I don't mind at all that people do illogical things with their money... It's their money and they're entitled to use it for whatever they want. I just had to make a rant and talk about these things.

And what's a crew cab or single cab mean?

Well, if I was rich and had space for 10 vehicles, a truck definitely would be in my vehicle collection. A Ford and a Dodge. Haven't seen a sexy Chevy truck though.
standard cab;

extended cab;

crew cab;

as for no sexy chevy pick ups, you havent been looking very hard have you?

Old 05-07-2017, 10:08 AM

30,438 posts, read 21,280,188 times
Lowered trucks look better. All 3 truck makers should get real and offer a true SS Version regcab with a 450 to 600hp V8. Trucks should be fast as my Vette.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

as for no sexy chevy pick ups, you havent been looking very hard have you?
I love a 67-72 shortbed stepside.
73-87 short bed or short bed stepsides in a C10 long box K20s.
Especially love a C30 crew cab dually slammed on the ground.
An early 50s would be awesome. A 46/47 with safari windshields would be the best!

Old 05-07-2017, 10:28 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
The 6.2 vortec Maxx with air bags on the rear could tow whatever you put behind it. 3:73s and if you stomped your feet hard enough with the salesman could get 4:11s.
A friend of mine ordered his from Depaulas in Albany with the 4:11s took them 3 months to get the truck in. He added the helper springs (air bags) to the rear. Tows a beaver tail on a pintle hitch and a bobcat skidsteer or bobcat mini excavator. He won't give that truck up for anything. He's launched 4 drive shafts out of it, and had Universal out of Albany make a steel drive shaft and pinion flange with hefty greaseable u joints.

He absolutely loves that truck. If it weren't for the trailer having trailer brakes and the truck having the max trailer package with factory installed trailer brake controller, he would have bought a crew cab 3/4 ton with a duramax.
Runs load range E tires on it too. Had to get 2 sets of wheels replaced the lug holes ovaled out. He went with aftermarket wheels and hasn't had a problem since. I'm surprised the trans hasn't grenaded yet.

This truck your buddy has is a 1/2 ton rated to tow 8 tons? Sorry dude there is no 1/2 ton out there rated to tow that. I don't care who makes it. And we all know the more truck you get the less the tow rating. Sounds pretty stupid to buy a 1/2 ton just to overload it. If he's replacing wheels because he's hogging out the lug nut holes he's doing something wrong.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:47 AM

187 posts, read 206,512 times
We have the best of both worlds - F250 to haul the fifth wheel and Honda Odyssey to haul the kids. As much as I love the truck, the minivan is easily the most useful vehicle I've ever owned.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
This truck your buddy has is a 1/2 ton rated to tow 8 tons? Sorry dude there is no 1/2 ton out there rated to tow that. I don't care who makes it. And we all know the more truck you get the less the tow rating. Sounds pretty stupid to buy a 1/2 ton just to overload it. If he's replacing wheels because he's hogging out the lug nut holes he's doing something wrong.
The suspension and brakes can't handle the weight. Neither could the factory alloys. Or the factory aluminum driveshaft. Not my money, not my truck, not my problem. Hence the helper air springs the aftermarket wheels, the load range e tires, and the driveshaft.

It's got the power to move that weight. It is a fast truck though when there's nothing in it or behind it.

MotoMetal brand wheels do the same thing on F350 duallys that tow weight. I tell everyone with a 350/450 that want new wheels to go for 22.5 Alcoas. Those tires will barely wear for daily driving, and probably dry rot before they hit 2/32nds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive