Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 11:50 AM

461 posts, read 547,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I personally don't care if someone drives a monster truck or a scooter because it doesn't effect me in the least.
Wrong. I nearly got a rental car crushed by a clueless woman in an Escalade who didn't look down when she was backing out of parking space. You can't fix clueless, but the fact that regular cars aren't even in the line of sight any more is insanity.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:20 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,374,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
Wrong. I nearly got a rental car crushed by a clueless woman in an Escalade who didn't look down when she was backing out of parking space. You can't fix clueless, but the fact that regular cars aren't even in the line of sight any more is insanity.
Boy it's a good thing people in econoboxes are NEVER clueless idiots who back into things. Based on their comments many 'regular' car owners have serious inferiority complexes.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:33 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,179,571 times
Some people just want a truck. TRUCK. TRUCK.

Are cars for sissies? I don't know. Ask some TRUCK guys.

I know the military-look Jeep is very popular among women. So was the FJ Cruiser.

Vehicle is image. Image is psychological. Factors like these are not always available to the conscious mind.

Some vehicle choice is driven by necessity. Like towing, hauling, great MPG, room for the chirruns, etc.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:10 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,117,141 times
Well, yeah... Sometimes I see an awesome truck and I say, "Whatta Dude!" Must be a hunter or some hardcore rural guy that can support himself not dependent on society, like a FARMER. Needs to tow his big Aluminum Horse Trailer, as well as his FARM equipment.

There are sexy built up trucks, but rather than racing street like a Corvette, they're for hauling and going offroad and losing society and going offgrid in a National Forest or so.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:21 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,597,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
I think that's one of the most stupid buys ever, just to buy a truck when you are never going to haul or tow with it. But if you use the flatbed for the deer you just killed, that's ok. If you're just buying a Ford F150 Platinum 4x4 to look good and not use it, I guess that's your style but man is that a waste of @#$%

So why else would you have a truck if you don't use it for the reasons stated?

Back when I didn't know much about trucks, I was really shocked that the Ford F150 was America's best selling vehicle! Is that because many people live in situations like rural America [e.g. KY] where it's better to have a 4x4 truck?
I think modern 1/2 ton pickups are pretty reasonable as personal transportation that have a little added utility and capability that a sedan or even full size SUV wont have. The guys who buy Super Duty 3/4 ton or larger trucks for no reason I agree are guilty of posing a little.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:58 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
The suspension and brakes can't handle the weight. Neither could the factory alloys. Or the factory aluminum driveshaft. Not my money, not my truck, not my problem. Hence the helper air springs the aftermarket wheels, the load range e tires, and the driveshaft.

It's got the power to move that weight. It is a fast truck though when there's nothing in it or behind it.

MotoMetal brand wheels do the same thing on F350 duallys that tow weight. I tell everyone with a 350/450 that want new wheels to go for 22.5 Alcoas. Those tires will barely wear for daily driving, and probably dry rot before they hit 2/32nds
Yeah but I don't get that. Why not just buy a 3/4-1ton truck with the gas 6.2 or whatever engine so you get the heavier duty axles, brakes, gears, transmission etc. this way you're not hogging out wheels or destroying driveshafts.I mean if you gotta go and buy axles, driveshafts, wheels put airbags etc you're still limited by the factory tow rating of the 1/2 ton. All that stuff doesn't change the ratings or the fact it's a 1/2 ton. Not to mention the liability factor of towing overloaded and getting pulled over by a trooper or wrecking

I can't imagine running 22.5s the ride has to be unbearably rough unless you run loaded all the time. I guess if you long haul heavy loads those tires would be a good idea. My last set of duallies I had to replace at about 1/3-1/2 tread as they were getting dry rotted. I ended up replacing two sets of fronts for one set of rears.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:08 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,597,040 times
22.5" wheels and tires will be too heavy for light duty truck axles, brakes and suspension. There is a reason that 19.5" is as big as they get on little trucks. The truck would ride like crap and would generally perform poorly compared one with more appropriate sized wheels and tires.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:39 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,502,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Yeah but I don't get that. Why not just buy a 3/4-1ton truck with the gas 6.2 or whatever engine so you get the heavier duty axles, brakes, gears, transmission etc. this way you're not hogging out wheels or destroying driveshafts.I mean if you gotta go and buy axles, driveshafts, wheels put airbags etc you're still limited by the factory tow rating of the 1/2 ton. All that stuff doesn't change the ratings or the fact it's a 1/2 ton. Not to mention the liability factor of towing overloaded and getting pulled over by a trooper or wrecking

I can't imagine running 22.5s the ride has to be unbearably rough unless you run loaded all the time. I guess if you long haul heavy loads those tires would be a good idea. My last set of duallies I had to replace at about 1/3-1/2 tread as they were getting dry rotted. I ended up replacing two sets of fronts for one set of rears.
It's what he wanted... I'm not him. Can't answer that. But the axles can handle it. The first driveshaft he launched was from doing a burnout and started rolling and upshifted into 2nd... The other 3 were from towing too heavy. The vibration going down the road was the lug holes expanding the alloy factory wheels were not meant to handle that kid of weight. I couldn't imagine trying to stop that weight of a hefty trailer and a skidsteer without trailer brakes... Probably take 2 miles to get from 30 to a stop.

In his case he should have gone with a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel... loves that truck though.

I've been in 450s that were lifted that had 22.5s. Didn't ride any differently than 19.5s. 450s unloaded ride like hell with 19.5s, when ford made the 450 platinum and king ranches with the 350 Alcoa 17s they rode some what better. They did this so you were not limited to 85 or 90mph... so I've been told...

Old 05-07-2017, 05:10 PM

491 posts, read 474,407 times
Why is it expensive? They're not that expensive. People spend $80,000 on a luxury sedan. Spending $25,000 on a big truck is nothing. It's probably cheaper to buy a truck nowadays if anything.

Old 05-07-2017, 05:22 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,267,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlevel View Post
Why is it expensive? They're not that expensive. People spend $80,000 on a luxury sedan. Spending $25,000 on a big truck is nothing. It's probably cheaper to buy a truck nowadays if anything.
If you are talking new truck, I don't think you will find much for 25K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive