Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 08:44 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times

Advertisements

The only reason GM kept GMC around is because Buick and Cadillac dealerships were worried they lose truck buying customers, and that's it! They needed truck sales to stay in business.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:31 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
I think that's one of the most stupid buys ever, just to buy a truck when you are never going to haul or tow with it. But if you use the flatbed for the deer you just killed, that's ok. If you're just buying a Ford F150 Platinum 4x4 to look good and not use it, I guess that's your style but man is that a waste of @#$%

So why else would you have a truck if you don't use it for the reasons stated?

Back when I didn't know much about trucks, I was really shocked that the Ford F150 was America's best selling vehicle! Is that because many people live in situations like rural America [e.g. KY] where it's better to have a 4x4 truck?

And you are allowed to have your opinion. You know the saying.... "Opinions are like #$$%^##, everybody's got one and most of them stink."

What's it matter to you WHY someone buys a truck? I don't care if they use it or not. If the truck fits the bill for them, so be it. As I've said in the hundreds of other "Why buy a truck" threads on here, no one knows how a truck is being used.

I have a Ram 2500 that I drive 30 miles one way on the highway to work each day. Most would probably say I don't use mine when I get out of my truck in slacks and a button down and because it stays clean. However, what they don't see is me picking up the heavy equipment I used to do some dirt work in my yard over the weekend, or us hauling our Polaris RZR on a trip, or helping my wife's best friend move into their new house, etc...

Don't assume that you know what someone does with a truck in the short periods of time that you see someone in one. There is a lot that can happen between the times you see them.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:34 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Lots of people buy trucks and never haul anything in the bed except for groceries. They buy them to make up for shortcomings. On this very forum is a thread "Should I buy a truck or a sports car". There are lots of people that need trucks but I think the vast majority of truck buyers do not. Trucks are too big these days, too. Not only do they guzzle gas, they take up a lot of room on the streets and parking lots, too.

I am an avid do it yourselfer. I have a 1993 Nissan truck that I bought new. It's given me 24 years of good service and great mpg. I will never buy another truck because even the so called compact trucks are too big and thirsty these days.
This is a broad assumption and reeks of envy when you make comments like "making up for shortcomings". Saying trucks are too big is ridiculous too. With the trend to make smaller and more fuel efficient cars the larger trucks appear even bigger. If everyone had larger vehicles you wouldn't notice how much room they take up. Fuel efficiency isn't the be all end all decision to make when buying a vehicle for everyone. I look for comfort, interior space, bed space, and power. Since I spend a lot of time in my truck with the family I need space for everyone, then I need plenty of bed space to haul things frequently, and power to pull the heavy loads. Everyone is different. Stop making assumptions that you don't know to be true.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:42 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Dont really need a truck? says who? how on earth would they know what someone else needs? Thank donts

Old 05-09-2017, 07:34 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
For a lot of people, comfort. Plenty of room inside. You don't have cars with the interior room of full size cars of yore.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:57 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
My co-worker and her husband both drive $70,000+ trucks, fully loaded and brand new. They both have office jobs in downtown Los Angeles and say they bought them because they are nice to have when they move. They currently rent a small apartment.

Last edited by Mr_Geek; 05-09-2017 at 08:39 AM..

Old 05-09-2017, 08:38 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
For a lot of people, comfort. Plenty of room inside. You don't have cars with the interior room of full size cars of yore.
My 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab has more cabin space than two of the largest vehicles I have ever owned, 1993 & 1997 Lincoln Town Cars.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:48 AM

8,335 posts, read 6,419,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
My co-worker and her husband both drive $70,000+ trucks, fully loaded and brand new. They both have office jobs in downtown Los Angeles and say they bought them because they are nice to have when they move. They currently rent a small apartment.
These people sure think different than me. Houses go up in southern Calif. and vehicles depreciate.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:19 AM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
I think that's one of the most stupid buys ever, just to buy a truck when you are never going to haul or tow with it. But if you use the flatbed for the deer you just killed, that's ok. If you're just buying a Ford F150 Platinum 4x4 to look good and not use it, I guess that's your style but man is that a waste of @#$%

So why else would you have a truck if you don't use it for the reasons stated?

Back when I didn't know much about trucks, I was really shocked that the Ford F150 was America's best selling vehicle! Is that because many people live in situations like rural America [e.g. KY] where it's better to have a 4x4 truck?
I have a four wheel drive SUV that will never go off roading. Won't be hauling a dead deer either. Guess that makes me stupid as well.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:51 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
Generally speaking, the GMC lineup is a little "higher end" than the Chevrolet. And there's a certain, "We only build trucks!" aura with GMC. But I think that's dwindling, and I think the day will come when GM does away with the GMC line, but maybe comes out with a Chevy Yukon and/or Chevy Sierra - which would be the highest-end vehicles.

I guess time will tell.
That is what they want you to think. I traded in a 2015 Silverado CC 4x4 LTZ last fall for a 2016 Sierra CC 4x4 SLT and they are the SAME VEHICLE; other than different front ends, taillights, and emblems. Other change is the nav radio does not say MYLINK (for Chevy) and now sales INTELELINK (for GMC).
Years ago, when living in MI, I actually toured a truck plant in Pontiac and they made both GMC and Chevy trucks on the same line.

Yes, they might offer different rims, a different insignia to denote an option. For example my Silverado had a vinyl sticker on the rear of the rear fenders that stated Z71 4x4; my GMC has a plastic looking chrome emblem on the rear of the front fenders that state Z71 4x4 and that does look a bit higher end (big whoopee).

In some cases, some of the option packages are a bit different, in some cases GMC might add more to a standard package but they sure do charge you for it. In my case, you can look at both MSRP stickers and the end result is they are identical (except for a sunroof I had on the Silverado but did not want on the GMC). As for prices, hard to figure that out since they are different years.

For years, GMC did have the high end Denali line, but a few years ago Chevy matched that with the High Country model.

This article is older but does a good explanation of the differences. However at the end they say GM keeps it around due to the Denali but I believe in '13 is when Chevy, for the Silverado at least, released their version of the Denali; High Country. (But I see a lot more Denalis around than I see High Countrys so not sure how well they are selling. Maybe people have a problem thinking of Chevy as being high end like the article implies.)
GMC Models Cost More Than Chevy: Why, And Which Is Better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive