Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 10:02 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Isn't there room in this world for both? I'm tolerant toward SUV's but minivans are more practical for my needs.
That would be a good question for your fellow minivan boosters here on this thread. If you review this thread you'll see SUV boosters aren't trying to convince minivan boosters that SUVs are better for everyone rather explaining whey they're better for them [SUV drivers]. There's also been some effort to make counterpoints to claims such as "SUVs handle like crap." Contrast that with the minivan boosters who seem to be hell bent on convincing everyone that a minivan is the most practical for everyone all the time and if you drive an SUV you did so for image related reasons...

There definitely is room for both. Maybe someday some of these minivan boosters will catch on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 10:45 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Damn, I didnt realize SUV owners were so sensitive. Not everybody lives out in the sticks. For regular suburban living most people will do fine with a minivan, image insecurity aside.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:04 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Damn, I didnt realize SUV owners were so sensitive. Not everybody lives out in the sticks. For regular suburban living most people will do fine with a minivan, image insecurity aside.

It isn't about sensitivity, but instead about educating those who don't know the difference and giving them accurate information. The minivan warriors on here have provided quite a lot of false information that could potentially mislead someone who stumbles upon the thread later down the road. SUV owners have simply tried to counter the invalid points with valid and accurate ones. A lot of folks have basically said that SUVs are garbage and are subpar to a minivan. It's just not factually accurate. There are things that minivans do better, and things that SUVs do better.

I haven't seen one SUV owner that has said that minivans don't fill a need for some people because they do. However I HAVE seen quite a few minivan owners that have said numerous times in the thread that minivans will work fine for MOST people without possibly knowing what a specific individual's needs might be. Oh look.... there it is (in bold) again.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I haven't seen one SUV owner that has said that minivans don't fill a need for some people because they do. However I HAVE seen quite a few minivan owners that have said numerous times in the thread that minivans will work fine for MOST people without possibly knowing what a specific individual's needs might be. Oh look.... there it is (in bold) again.
Well played. It takes a special kind of obnoxious arrogance to presume to know what will meet someone else's needs.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
It isn't about sensitivity, but instead about educating those who don't know the difference and giving them accurate information. The minivan warriors on here have provided quite a lot of false information that could potentially mislead someone who stumbles upon the thread later down the road. SUV owners have simply tried to counter the invalid points with valid and accurate ones. A lot of folks have basically said that SUVs are garbage and are subpar to a minivan. It's just not factually accurate. There are things that minivans do better, and things that SUVs do better.

So you need to set the record straight because you're worried people will stumble on this thread and buy SUVs anymore?
There's a niche out for everybody but most people will be better off with a minivan over an SUV. Why do you feel the need to justify your personal vehicle choice to everybody?

Old 07-05-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Well played. It takes a special kind of obnoxious arrogance to presume to know what will meet someone else's needs.
By that rational you believe most people need an SUV otherwise the statement would be meaningless to you.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
By that rational you believe most people need an SUV otherwise the statement would be meaningless to you.
Logically that doesn't hold water but I've reached an end to arguing with you. I'm happy to further discuss with anyone who has something of substance to contribute.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Logically that doesn't hold water but I've reached an end to arguing with you. I'm happy to further discuss with anyone who has something of substance to contribute.
Lol. What are you waiting for somebody else to exonerate your purchasing decision? You're either confident about your choices or you're not and you haven't had any substance to contribute for awhile now. I just keep stoking this stupid thread to watch you lose your mind over a dumb topic.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:30 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
That would be a good question for your fellow minivan boosters here on this thread. If you review this thread you'll see SUV boosters aren't trying to convince minivan boosters that SUVs are better for everyone rather explaining whey they're better for them [SUV drivers]. There's also been some effort to make counterpoints to claims such as "SUVs handle like crap." Contrast that with the minivan boosters who seem to be hell bent on convincing everyone that a minivan is the most practical for everyone all the time and if you drive an SUV you did so for image related reasons...

There definitely is room for both. Maybe someday some of these minivan boosters will catch on!
I think you better go back and re-read the thread. The SUV posters were all about how they were better than any minivan, and better for everybody. Both sides posted the same nonsense. I only saw a few of us who said x is better for my needs, but y might be better for yours.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I think you better go back and re-read the thread. The SUV posters were all about how they were better than any minivan, and better for everybody. Both sides posted the same nonsense. I only saw a few of us who said x is better for my needs, but y might be better for yours.
I did:

Quote:
Minivans are awful. Granted if that's what OP or anyone else wants then by all means pursue what you want! I think they're best suited for taxis and uber drivers. My wife and I had one a few years ago and it was a terrible vehicle. Design quality was atrocious. To be fair, this was a Chevy Uplander and as far as minivans go it was probably worse than others, as evidenced by it's short existence as a model.

We now have 2 full size SUVs. The one we bought to replace tomatoes mentioned minivan and the second we picked up about a month ago as my daily driver. I was looking for a ~2000-2002 4Runner but found an 02 Sequioa with low miles at a pretty good price. We do just enough off road/beach driving/towing that a minivan would not be a practical vehicle for us.

With that said, OP if you want a minivan and can afford to do it, go for it! You like what you like for your reasons and you owe nobody and explanation for any of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive