Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2018, 02:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times

Advertisements

Bottom line? driverless cars/trucks are going to be a major player in future automotive technology whether we like it or not,there will be the occasional system failure perhaps resulting in death or injury its the nature of this kind of mechanical construct however these system failures IMO will not come anywhere near the current 40K deaths a year in the USA caused by human drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 05:12 AM

6,759 posts, read 5,058,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Bottom line? driverless cars/trucks are going to be a major player in future automotive technology whether we like it or not,there will be the occasional system failure perhaps resulting in death or injury its the nature of this kind of mechanical construct however these system failures IMO will not come anywhere near the current 40K deaths a year in the USA caused by human drivers.
Sure, but how do we get from here to there in a reasonable manner? Today there are no standards of minimum quality in allowing test vehicles on the street. Uber's cars had problems dealing with such simple tasks as driving next to a large truck. I think it's beyond reckless to allow a car in that state on the streets. That sort of function should be perfected in a controlled environment.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:55 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The robot just killed this woman. Human beings should not be guinea pigs for robots.
How about as guinea pigs for first time solo drivers and pilots? The robots will get better, better, and better at an exponential rate.. The sensors will improve the reaction time is many times that of a human.

The human has evolved to move at the speed of Usian Bolt tops and track potential prey and predatory animals. We are trying to move at speeds above our design capabilities with thousands of deaths per year resulting as we can't see and react in time to get out of the way and stop. Even with compromises such as speed limits in some areas and on most public roads

Old 03-24-2018, 08:29 AM

956 posts, read 510,784 times
Driverless cars are the worst idea ever!! I cannot believe and it baffles my mind how anyone could ever trust heir lives to a robot to drive them around on an open road with an infinite number of variables in an uncontrolled environment!!

I am so sick of the argument that humans are such bad drivers which is a load of propaganda B.S. Most humans are very good drivers. The ones that due stupid things, driver's ed and penalties need to be tougher, but enslaving us to death machine robots is NOT NOR will EVER be the answer.

And the ones who are fore this and especially those who want to ban human driving are just as bad if not worse than terrorists and deserve to live in a fascist police state like country for taking away freedom of American culture and wanting to enslave us to death machine robots.

I will never ever set foot in a death machine robot known as an autonomous car!! Never ever. They will never take my car nor our awesome roads in my nice suburb away from me!!

I am only 34 and I hope to god these death machine robots never make it to mainstream in my lifetime!! I hope politics and resistance stalls the development of this evil technology!! I hope one of these things runs over someone developing the technology in the factory where these evil death machine robots are made as the ones developing it are evil and want to erase human dignity by developing such tech. That will put an end to it for once and for all

Wake the frick up people. This is a horrible idea and nothing is going to change that fact!!!

Old 03-24-2018, 08:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
I would like someone to force Uber et al to publish their "Driver Intervention" figures for the last year. I'd bet that number is shockingly high...

Old 03-24-2018, 08:37 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,841,577 times
Auto makers can't even get their radios and navigation to work properly half the time. Look at how many warranty claims and recalls they have on electronics. What makes anyone think they can build reliably safe self-driving vehicles?

Old 03-24-2018, 08:47 AM

6,759 posts, read 5,058,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I would like someone to force Uber et al to publish their "Driver Intervention" figures for the last year. I'd bet that number is shockingly high...
An article in Friday's NYT says that Uber was struggling to hit its goal of one intervention per 13 miles on average.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:51 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine607 View Post
Driverless cars are the worst idea ever!! I cannot believe and it baffles my mind how anyone could ever trust heir lives to a robot to drive them around on an open road with an infinite number of variables in an uncontrolled environment!!

I am so sick of the argument that humans are such bad drivers which is a load of propaganda B.S. Most humans are very good drivers. The ones that due stupid things, driver's ed and penalties need to be tougher, but enslaving us to death machine robots is NOT NOR will EVER be the answer.

And the ones who are fore this and especially those who want to ban human driving are just as bad if not worse than terrorists and deserve to live in a fascist police state like country for taking away freedom of American culture and wanting to enslave us to death machine robots.

I will never ever set foot in a death machine robot known as an autonomous car!! Never ever. They will never take my car nor our awesome roads in my nice suburb away from me!!

I am only 34 and I hope to god these death machine robots never make it to mainstream in my lifetime!! I hope politics and resistance stalls the development of this evil technology!! I hope one of these things runs over someone developing the technology in the factory where these evil death machine robots are made as the ones developing it are evil and want to erase human dignity by developing such tech. That will put an end to it for once and for all

Wake the frick up people. This is a horrible idea and nothing is going to change that fact!!!
No one will have to take it. The insurance industry knowing that a certain percentage of drivers think that they are a to fast and furious transporter who can force a machine to do their will and are holding on to the past. So to combat that they will take the money out of your pockets and away from the children's breakfast table for your hobby

Old 03-24-2018, 09:13 AM

956 posts, read 510,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
No one will have to take it. The insurance industry knowing that a certain percentage of drivers think that they are a to fast and furious transporter who can force a machine to do their will and are holding on to the past. So to combat that they will take the money out of your pockets and away from the children's breakfast table for your hobby
They never will take anything away from me. I will never get in one of those death machines. I will always be driving a car with a steering wheel gas and brake pedal for as long as I live and no fascist sadists is gonna stop me!!!

Old 03-24-2018, 09:18 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
How a human driver could have avoided this. It is not really that hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6-zxaeGRtI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive