Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 10:29 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,541,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
For this reason I always park in end spot up against the curb.
This, I always try to find an "end piece", a parking spot with a raised curb or some other structure or lines next to it so i'm only exposed to one car parking next to me. I have a Mini Cooper so I have to also be sure I don't park too far into the parking space, as that will give (usually hyoooge truck owners) license to swing in too close to park next to me (they usually end up at an angle), which ends up blocking my driver side door.

I feel your pain OP. Even though I try to park farther away, I almost always end up with some beater car or minivan with 81 million kiddie fingerprints on their side/back windows (which to me indicates much activity/door slamming/setting up stroller/kids playing while waiting for the adults to exit the vehicle, etc). I just try to get in the middle with some kind of solid end piece on my passenger side, and a decent looking car on my driver side (and keep my fingers crossed lol).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 10:49 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,414,461 times
I think its some mental perception thing for some people. Like they have to park next to a car in order to line up their parking or else they have trouble if they have park with nothing around to guide them (other than the lines). I have no other explanation because OP's issue happens to me too.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:54 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,999,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
One time I took my brand new audi out with my nephew. I parked away from the pack. When my nephew got out, a strong gust of wind caught his door and slammed it against a really shiny mercedes putting a deep dent in it. We got back in the car and moved it somewhere else.
Did you wait and talk with the Mercedes owner, or did you just leave it for the Merc owner to come out and find a huge dent?

Old 03-23-2018, 11:36 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,876,042 times
I only park next to other cars when I'm driving my 15 year old beater.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:43 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,541,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I only park next to other cars when I'm driving my 15 year old beater.
dammit!!!!

Old 03-23-2018, 12:11 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,109,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
One time I took my brand new audi out with my nephew. I parked away from the pack. When my nephew got out, a strong gust of wind caught his door and slammed it against a really shiny mercedes putting a deep dent in it. We got back in the car and moved it somewhere else.
You are bad. *smh*

Old 03-23-2018, 12:15 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,109,543 times
The sad truth is many drivers are just ***holes who don't take of their own vehicles, much less care about not damaging someone else's vehicle.

(My comment is honestly, not directed at any particular individual.)

Old 03-23-2018, 02:52 PM

6,565 posts, read 7,148,840 times
I honestly thinks it’s mental thing, have to be in a pack. Women are the worst with it. Some people are afraid to be by themselves. I park far away next to a curb so only one idiot can choose to park next to me. Someone already hit me in my back bumper, it’s really not noticeable unless I point it out. Price to fix is anywhere from $150-$3k+ as bodyshop friend told me.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:06 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,267,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The sliding door on my minivan has yet to ding anyone's car.
More about what comes out of those doors...

Old 03-23-2018, 03:22 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,793,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Almost every time I park my car far away in a parking lot, trying to avoid other people from parking next to me from getting door dings, scratches and possibly being hit ( I’m talking about far far away too) there’s always that one person that decides to park inches away from my car when they have hundreds of other spots to choose from!

I’m literally the only other car around far from a store, restaurant, the mall, grocery store etc so it’s doesn’t make sense and is extremely frustrating.

Does anyone know why people do this? I feel at times drivers do it on purpose to annoy the owner of the far away parked car. I mean seriously this has to be the single most irritating thing I’ve experienced as vehicle owner, besides for bad drivers on the road.

I’m just really cautious on where I park and want to keep my cars in good shape. I know this sounds petty, but I’m sure many of you can understand where I’m coming from since we love cars and want to make sure our vehicles stay nice looking for as long as possible.
You remind me of the guy on another newsgroup who had retired and bought a Corvette. He complained about parking it far from people "But when I come back, there's some jerk parked right next to me!" he complained. I can understand the desire to keep a car "Good looking" but I'd not fret about it.

I've seen pickups that were obviously rolled and still running (But damn the amount of duct tape was awesome) it's a mental quirk some people have. Also, some people park all the "Way out there" so as to make themselves exercise (As many have suggested) to "Get into working out"

Luckily, my job is demanding enough I don't need to buy a gym membership.

But it's kind of fun to park next to a $35K or higher suv and I've got a 20 year old vehicle that saw better days...18 years ago...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive