Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 07:19 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times

Advertisements

I totally agree, they should at least build them here, and ship them there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
All that he is saying is if japan sells cars and motorcycles in the united states and we charge no tarrifs or put crazy restrictions on them, then why the hell is Japan putting crazy restrictions and tarrifs on out cars and motorcycles. Trump being a business man doesn't thank this is fair and neither do I. Level the playing field or else, nice to have a president that stands up for us.
Totally agree, I haven't been a hard core trump supporter, but her has a point America has been taken advantage off.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:17 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Totally agree, I haven't been a hard core trump supporter, but her has a point America has been taken advantage off.
America has been taken advantage of for years and other presidents did nothing to stop it , the Japanese have especially been taking advantage of the USA ever since the end of the War. How many US assembly plants in Japan compared to how many here in the USA. Tell me we’re the fairness is in this. The Japanese have the best of both countries it’s about time a sitting president start putting America first with no regrets on how many countries he pisses off. It’s about time the rest of the world start paying their own way without a handout from the USA every time something happens in their own country. We’re is the help from the rest of the world for the victims of the hurricane. And Japan must end their protection policy of their automotive industry.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:46 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
America has been taken advantage of for years and other presidents did nothing to stop it , the Japanese have especially been taking advantage of the USA ever since the end of the War. How many US assembly plants in Japan compared to how many here in the USA. Tell me we’re the fairness is in this. The Japanese have the best of both countries it’s about time a sitting president start putting America first with no regrets on how many countries he pisses off. It’s about time the rest of the world start paying their own way without a handout from the USA every time something happens in their own country. We’re is the help from the rest of the world for the victims of the hurricane. And Japan must end their protection policy of their automotive industry.
Realistically, there are no US model vehicles that will sell in Japan in any quantity. Sure, there are a few Jeeps and Mustangs, but the trucks and large SUV's that are the bread and butter of US car makers will not sell in Japan due to their overwhelming size. There is also the issue of having to redesign the US vehicles to have the steering wheel on the right, as Japan drives on the left side of the road.

This America first stuff is pretty stupid overall, since the US can't really stand alone in the world, and there are certain items it doesn't really make sense to make here. I also have a lasting memory of the efforts in the 70's and 80's to restrict Japanese car sales here. All the US makers did was raise their prices to generate more profits, without doing anything to improve quality or design. As far as I am concerned, the US car makers, other than maybe Ford, should have all gone bankrupt and disappeared, to be replaced by companies that actually understand the business.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:37 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
We see this in other cases too, like how police cars in the US are modified Ford cars. It's not because Japanese cars are just "straight up horrible". They're great cars, and you see many of them on the US roadways. However, they don't meet the requirements for what PDs need out of them.
Actually Japanese manufactures make some damn good police packages. It's really pretty simple. Police departments in Japan buy Japanese cars because they are required to buy Japanese. Police departments in the US buy American cars, because they are required to buy American. Most everywhere else, police departments buy BMWs. The US does not have the best police cars. The only requirement they meet is to be American.

Old 09-30-2018, 01:26 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Let me also add currency manipulation to your list, which has been another tool to pump-up the price of imports.

Yeah. Japan is a very closed society, it always has been. For better or worse. They are at least not overrun by an illegal/criminal alien problem. Population replacement is another issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
It is ridiculous, but far from the most ridiculous thing considering it came from Trump. Every day at lunch I open my news app & read the headlines out loud of things he said that morning. My co-workers sit back & laugh hysterically because it's like the things he says are straight out of the Onion. And he says these crazy things every single workday. I keep waiting for Ashton Kutcher to come out & say - "you've all been punk'd America."
The Art Of The Deal consists of putting outlandish stuff on the table and seeing how the other side reacts to it.

Read the book. IF you're open-minded enough to give it fair consideration. Trump is a monkey wrench in the everyday yessir yessir three bags full! way that things have been running, to our massive detriment, for a long long time.

Come back in 10 years, we can revisit the Japanese buying American cars issue. I have no idea where that's going and neither do you.

Old 09-30-2018, 05:29 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...sing-is-buyers

Probably the most ridiculous thing to ask Japanese to buy American cars and US Automakes to make cars that appeal to Japanese market.

For one thing, US does not make good quality compacts. Very little lifestyle cars which caters to Japanese buyers.

In Japan, minivans are very popular. While they may not be as large as American size minivans, Japanese like MPVs and wagons.

Japanese are more pickier than Americans, Japanese car makers produce many different variety of models than here in the US.

I doubt GM or Ford would ever create a vehicle specifically for Japanese market.
In my view this thread should be in the political forum. That way Trump haters and not can argue about politics.

Why should anybody care what President Trump desires regarding to US automakers since what he desires, although is not a bad idea. The rest is for the automakers to design automobiles that please the Japanese consumers... if they want to sell automobiles in Japan. President Trump himself can't design such automobiles, nor can he tell the automakers how to conduct their business, therefore all he can do is to put that idea out there. That aside, automakers aren't part of the public sector (government, and welfare), but private institutions. It is up to them to invest or not in the Japanese market. If there is no money to be made, why should they invest?

Last edited by RayinAK; 09-30-2018 at 05:38 PM..

Old 09-30-2018, 06:05 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,860,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
. If there is no money to be made, why should they invest?
My point exactly, w/the regulations Japan has in place no way any American car company could make a profit there. When they have all these regulations against us, time to throw a few unfair regulations on them. Lets see how they like it. America's policy it seems is to let allies take complete advantage of our trade. Personally could care less if Japan ever sold another car in the USA, They want to be one way tell them to pound sand. Has no other president or politician ever thought of bringing up this issue?

Old 09-30-2018, 06:07 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,860,623 times
No one in Japan would buy a Harley, u serious? GM has had a good bit of success in China.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
My point exactly, w/the regulations Japan has in place no way any American car company could make a profit there. When they have all these regulations against us, time to throw a few unfair regulations on them. Lets see how they like it. America's policy it seems is to let allies take complete advantage of our trade. Personally could care less if Japan ever sold another car in the USA, They want to be one way tell them to pound sand. Has no other president or politician ever thought of bringing up this issue?
I think Americans have always supported the underdog, and that's why we have gotten into this situation, but these countries are no longer the underdoggs, and we must treat them the same way they've treated us. It's insane to see with all of this, the country has still managed to grow this massive. When you think about it the US has essentially pulled the entire world up. I really don't see the Japanese buying american, and I don't think it's even worth it for american automakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive