Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 05:19 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
How long ago was that? Because the quality of decades ago wasn't so good, I agree, but American nameplates are much better now. The ones that have the reliability issues seem to be the European vehicles now (Mercedes Benz, Land Rover, etc.)

And Asian cars haven't been perfect either. Someone close to me purchased a Hyundai Excel (Excel- HAHA! ) and it started falling apart with major transmission problems, electrical problems and all kinds of other issues before 50K miles.

My own experience with Honda was horrible with a lawn mower. That thing wouldn't run 15 minutes without some kind of issue, mainly with the carburetor. If they can't even make a mower right, how are they going to make a proper complex motor vehicle? I know some people swear by them, but they seem like a rough ride in how they handle, sound, etc.

But perhaps the bigger issue is the lack of loyalty that Americans have towards buying cars that originate from their home country (even though yes, some of them have parts that may have been manufactured elsewhere or the cars may have been assembled elsewhere just like some Asian cars may be assembled in the US). If you go to an Asian grocery store, you will see a parking lot full of Toyotas, Honda, Hyundais, et. al. but you won't see Ford, Chevy, etc.. Very rarely if ever. If you go to a middle America store where there aren't that many (if any) people of Asian descent shopping, you will see a mix of Fords, Chevys, but also lots of Toyota, Hondas, Hyundais, et. al.
You can’t compare Korean cars to Japanese cars, there’s a big difference. I have owned both, and even after all these years the Koreans still haven’t caught up with the Japanese in quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 05:45 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseD View Post
Any reasons to continue to allow cars to be sold in the US from Europe, Japan, or Korea owned companies? Toyota and BMW make cars in the US... so...
Why are people so hasty to try to turn the USA into Brazil? Brazil has those kinds of tariffs and restrictions the Trumpie love and the high cost of those protected goods in the face of low wages is one of many reasons why that country is a hellhole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I agree with this, but I took my first trip to the UK this year, and we were pretty surprised that there were NO American cars on the road. This stinks of an imbalance.

Even the cab drivers drove Mercedes.
Plenty of Fords there I saw, and plenty of Vauxhalls (until recently a brand of GM until that unit was sold to Groupe PSA because the Vauxhall/Opel unit was seen as unprofitable). And one of out more Huh? moments in Paris a few years back was seeing a late model Ford Bronco cruising the streets of Paris near the Eiffel Tower.

Old 09-29-2018, 05:58 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,860,623 times
Will compare my 96 f150 work truck against any of them, course had to replace the computer lately, but not bad considering it went under water during Katrina. Lets do like the Japs do and send every vehicle to one spot and let a inspector look them over one at a time for a few days. Close down all there dealerships and make them comply to a book full of rules before they can open, and add a nice big tax to every vehicle they send our way. Close down all there factories they've opened over here cause they just don't comply. Some would say this just isn't fair, u would be right it isn't. So why should we let them do it to us, at least that's how some of us deplorables see it Now my understanding is the eu puts like a 30% on all American imports, please feel free to fact check.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:07 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,739,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
But still made in America except for the Renegade the Grand Cherokee is made at FCA Jefferson assembly plant in Detroit the rest in Toledo Ohio.

Nope. Jeep Cherokees and Grand Cherokees for most of Europe, Africa, and Japan are built in Kew, England.
Jeeps for Central and South America are built in Valencia, Venezuela.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:11 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,739,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I agree with this, but I took my first trip to the UK this year, and we were pretty surprised that there were NO American cars on the road. This stinks of an imbalance.

Even the cab drivers drove Mercedes.
People don't want most GM and Dodge cars in Europe. These cars are too big, too thirsty, handle poorly, and don't have nearly the feature set even cheap European cars have. The imbalance is that the GM and Dodge don't design the cars they sell in the US for Europe. Ford does, and does well there.

You can buy the Chrysler 300 (as a Lancia), the 200 (as a Fiat), etc. Buick's are Vauxhull's, and some Opels.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:34 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
This doesn't compute, on several levels.
So you’d rather buy state products comrade? We believe in capitalism here.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:36 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
The domestics actually make some good cars for Europe that I would like them to offer here.

Old 09-29-2018, 09:14 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
How did this go from Japan to Europe why do treads keep wandering off the original subject.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:06 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,860,623 times
Not sure, but glad they did, just a reminder the USA also has horrible auto and motorcycle trade deals with Europe. These horrible trade deals in the auto industry should have been renegotiated many years ago. Many a politician in Washington must have taken plenty of kickbacks to let these horrible deals go thru. With the deals we've been cutting with our allies, it's no wonder we don't sell many cars overseas. Lets just throw the freaking towel in and call it a day. Our politicians really don't have our best interest at heart. It's really pathetic for any American to just claim that we don't build good enough cars, trucks and motorcycles to sell overseas, and not be angry about how horrible we have negotiated with foreign countries. Of course we cant sell overseas because we haven't had a politician in decades with enough backbone to stand up to unfair trade practices. Bunch of crooked cowards every one of them.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:03 AM

6,116 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
So you’d rather buy state products comrade? We believe in capitalism here.
People can buy what they want to for any reason they want to. If they think they can get a better deal buying something based overseas (yes, I know some manufacturing, dealerships, etc. are here, but ultimately, they're still foreign companies with the richest economic benefit flowing back to those countries), they can do that. But they should realize there are economic consequences to doing this that aren't always in the USA's best interest and that those decisions contribute to making more places here in the US experience economic decay (i.e. Detroit).

My point is that there is much less loyalty from Americans (those whose parents and recent generations were also born here) to buy automobiles from their own country than there is from Asian Americans (who themselves or their parents and recent generations immigrated here). Some people who swear by Asian vehicles will say that's because the quality is superior, but that hasn't been the case in my experience. There's something cultural at play with that decision.

And capitalism doesn't have to mean that national economic policies can't make sure that the import-export trade isn't suckering the US into something that's bad for our country while we're being very generous on our end with our trade partners. That's a policy decision that can be made. Trump is actually on the right track on this one for taking this on. I just hope he doesn't screw it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive