Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 03:33 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,311,084 times

Advertisements

Nobody is saying what the Japanese tariffs areon imports. It just doesn't fit the narrative that tariffs "destroy" the car industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 03:34 PM

17,342 posts, read 12,297,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Nobody is saying what the Japanese tariffs areon imports. It just doesn't fit the narrative that tariffs "destroy" the car industry.
Zero...as has been said multiple times in this thread.

Old 09-29-2018, 03:55 PM

6,146 posts, read 4,627,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Sorry I only buy foreign vehicles. They are simply made better! I purchase one brand new American made car once and it died at 80k miles. Forget it! All of the foreign cars we have purchased have doubled that and we’re still running great when we sold/traded them in!
How long ago was that? Because the quality of decades ago wasn't so good, I agree, but American nameplates are much better now. The ones that have the reliability issues seem to be the European vehicles now (Mercedes Benz, Land Rover, etc.)

And Asian cars haven't been perfect either. Someone close to me purchased a Hyundai Excel (Excel- HAHA! ) and it started falling apart with major transmission problems, electrical problems and all kinds of other issues before 50K miles.

My own experience with Honda was horrible with a lawn mower. That thing wouldn't run 15 minutes without some kind of issue, mainly with the carburetor. If they can't even make a mower right, how are they going to make a proper complex motor vehicle? I know some people swear by them, but they seem like a rough ride in how they handle, sound, etc.

But perhaps the bigger issue is the lack of loyalty that Americans have towards buying cars that originate from their home country (even though yes, some of them have parts that may have been manufactured elsewhere or the cars may have been assembled elsewhere just like some Asian cars may be assembled in the US). If you go to an Asian grocery store, you will see a parking lot full of Toyotas, Honda, Hyundais, et. al. but you won't see Ford, Chevy, etc.. Very rarely if ever. If you go to a middle America store where there aren't that many (if any) people of Asian descent shopping, you will see a mix of Fords, Chevys, but also lots of Toyota, Hondas, Hyundais, et. al.

Last edited by Jowel; 09-29-2018 at 04:12 PM..

Old 09-29-2018, 04:20 PM

17,342 posts, read 12,297,153 times
Buying something out of loyalty/patriotism rather than a cold capitalist decision on the best product for your money is un-American itself.

Old 09-29-2018, 04:23 PM

50,403 posts, read 64,129,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Buying something out of loyalty/patriotism rather than a cold capitalist decision on the best product for your money is un-American itself.
I agree with this, but I took my first trip to the UK this year, and we were pretty surprised that there were NO American cars on the road. This stinks of an imbalance.

Even the cab drivers drove Mercedes.

Old 09-29-2018, 04:37 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,863,453 times
Quote:
Dude you stated an outright lie, which I corrected. There are various restrictions yes, but no tariff. We also have a lot of restrictions on what of theirs we can bring over here.

They make things specifically for our market to meet regs. Our domestics aren’t as interested in building Japan-spec specific cars. It’s a smaller saturated market.
No lies here, they on purpose have been closing out any American auto or motorcycle imports for years and no one has done anything about it, while there government subsidized car industry has been dumping vehicles on us for years. True we have diesel restrictions on passenger vehicles, but it's a level playing field. They have not had a level playing field in there country for years, course our politicians have never raised any concerns, but Trump is and it's about time. Your saying no need for a f250, chevy nuthin crickets, yea right those great Japanese 3/4 and 1 ton trucks they have, not one mustang, no Harley Davidson's your infatuation with all these rice burners is rather odd.

Old 09-29-2018, 04:40 PM

6,146 posts, read 4,627,768 times
Quote:
This doesn't compute, on several levels.

Old 09-29-2018, 04:48 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,863,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
No But better than tariffs:

U.S. companies or other foreign ‘transplants’ were not allowed to be built in Japan by
under Japan’s strict investment laws;
x Each individual imported car was required to be brought to the Ministry of Transport for
two days for inspection before approval for sale;
x Japan’s exclusive ‘keiretsu ‘arrangements between government and Japanese automakers
prevented US and other foreign auto companies from doing business in Japan;
x Japanese auto distribution system was stacked against importers- existing auto dealers
were forbidden to sell foreign autos or to partner with foreign automakers.
x Japan has used automotive technical regulations as a means to protect local markets by
creating excessively difficult and costly regulatory and certification requirements, with
little or no safety or emissions benefits;
x The tax system in Japan was designed to benefit domestic over imported motor vehicle
types;[/url]
No tarrifs you say, no problem lets start playing by there rules, works for me. Are u by chance a democrat, lol. Just thank it's time for a better deal, cause the one that's been in place really sux for the American auto industry

Old 09-29-2018, 04:52 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,141,420 times
Getting the Japanese to buy Detroit 3 cars is like asking Americans to buy Yugos again.

The Japanese build the best cars in the world. Why would they want to waste their money on American iron?

Old 09-29-2018, 04:57 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,440,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Getting the Japanese to buy Detroit 3 cars is like asking Americans to buy Yugos again.

The Japanese build the best cars in the world. Why would they want to waste their money on American iron?
The union hatter is back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive