Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2019, 07:14 PM

5,719 posts, read 4,694,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
To the person that asked whether my Jeep was Grand Cherokee or plain Cherokee, we have the Grand Cherokee and wife feels sorry for her friends in their Lexus RX, BMW X5, Mercedes GLE, etc.
Why? Jeep ride compared to any of those vehicles is crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 08:11 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
A Grand Cherokee rides nothing like a Wrangler.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:14 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
Oh no I don’t care about Unibody verses frames unless it’s for towing but I do tend to buy body on frame SUV’s for my own needs as I tow a bit . I just think they are ridiculous, raise the center of gravity of the vehicle unnecessarily and don’t do anything particularly better for a family then a Country Squire did in 1965. I’ve never driven one I liked better then a correspondent Sedan version not one ! Not even a Cullinan, a Cayenne Turbo S. I need a SUV for some things but I tend to buy ones that can seriously tow stuff.

Btw Grand Wagoneers are exempted from all of this as they are awesome works of art but they are serious vehicles in any case.
A little smaller than a Grand Cherokee, probably less money also, I suggest you take a drive in a Stelvio. I have driven that and also the Giulia and prefer the performance, seating position and sightlines of the taller one.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:23 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
We've become a species of stuff. Sedans you put your stuff on the back seat or jam it in the smallish trunk on some. CUV and /SUV's, Open the back, fold down the rear seat, slide all your chit in, nothing to lift over.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:53 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
The GC is one of the best rides I’ve been in. It’s a steal for what they charge compared to the competition.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:54 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
You're quite right. And fortunately, your needs, preferences and expectations are sufficiently common, that there's a promising business-case in marketers aiming for your dollar, and manufacturers building accordingly.

In contrast, I want a vehicle that's a pure single-seater... that has no cargo capacity whatsoever. It would have manual-everything, (right down to manual starting of the engine), demanding full attention from its operator at all times, and a modicum of fitness and athleticism to be operated even in normal traffic - let alone anything specialized. It would emphasize performance (handling, acceleration and braking) while also offering good efficiency. In contrast, "utility" or comfort would be utterly excluded. It would be light and have a small footprint, making it easy to park, to store in confined spaces, and to manually push around. Its mechanical simplicity would render it easy to service, so that even major repairs, such as removal/reinstallation of the engine, would be straightforward for an amateur mechanic.

Does the US automotive market offer such a vehicle?
Yes, it’s called a motorcycle.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:02 PM

603 posts, read 443,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
A little smaller than a Grand Cherokee, probably less money also, I suggest you take a drive in a Stelvio. I have driven that and also the Giulia and prefer the performance, seating position and sightlines of the taller one.
I didn’t think much of it ... was infinitely better then the horrible Maserati however. I’m not exactly an Italian car fan either there has been the odd one I’ve liked but few and far between.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:32 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Incorrect you are.

Old 05-06-2019, 04:22 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
You're quite right. And fortunately, your needs, preferences and expectations are sufficiently common, that there's a promising business-case in marketers aiming for your dollar, and manufacturers building accordingly.

In contrast, I want a vehicle that's a pure single-seater... that has no cargo capacity whatsoever. It would have manual-everything, (right down to manual starting of the engine), demanding full attention from its operator at all times, and a modicum of fitness and athleticism to be operated even in normal traffic - let alone anything specialized. It would emphasize performance (handling, acceleration and braking) while also offering good efficiency. In contrast, "utility" or comfort would be utterly excluded. It would be light and have a small footprint, making it easy to park, to store in confined spaces, and to manually push around. Its mechanical simplicity would render it easy to service, so that even major repairs, such as removal/reinstallation of the engine, would be straightforward for an amateur mechanic.

Does the US automotive market offer such a vehicle?
It sounds like you want one of those Elio cars. I don’t think they’ll ever happen though. I know someone who put a deposit down several years ago, and still nothing.

https://www.eliomotors.com/

Old 05-06-2019, 06:25 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Makers sell what they can make people buy. The trend at present is that if you put chunky fenders on a sedan, people buy it. Case closed.
Plus domestic selling dealerships also rely on heavy discounts and attractive factory financing to entice customers to buy.

I know many domestic car owners who only picked their vehicle based on how much it was "on sale" for and getting 0% financing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive