Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2019, 05:32 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Jeep has a much better following than BMW and watch out when you take your BMW in for service, bust open your wallet BMW has always been more expensive to own than a Jeep or anything domestic. And look at the sticker price of the X5 compared to a GC. But like the old saying if you can afford to spend that much for a BMW than you can afford to pay the price to fix them. And you can’t take a X5 off the beaten path like a GC the Jeep 4x4 is better than the X5 AWD.

BMW = Bring My Wallet. Of course, JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket. But that refers more to Wranglers and their owner's constantly modding them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 05:37 PM

6,738 posts, read 4,423,499 times
Quote:
This is a free country drive what you want, there are BMW fans and their are Jeep fans, but i bet you would not take the BMW of yours four wheeling would you.

Growing up 10 miles from the Outer banks, and after decades owning 4x4 vehicles ( trucks and jeeps, no awd stuff, most useless with no ground clearance ) I have never once seen a BMW on the beach.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:41 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,425,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Growing up 10 miles from the Outer banks, and after decades owning 4x4 vehicles ( trucks and jeeps, no awd stuff, most useless with no ground clearance ) I have never once seen a BMW on the beach.
You won’t either unless they took a wrong turn off the highway.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:44 PM

13,657 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It sounds like you want one of those Elio cars. I don’t think they’ll ever happen though. I know someone who put a deposit down several years ago, and still nothing.

https://www.eliomotors.com/
No, that's just a compressed-size commuter car, pitched at the budget-and-environmentally conscious. I had in mind something more like this:

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/De...a-open---ready

Or like this: 1993 Ralt RT-40 Large Picture Page

Old 05-07-2019, 02:45 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,952,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
A better following than BMW? What does this even mean? More enthusiasts? They sell more cars? Okay. Ford sold more Pintos than Lamborghini sold Aventadors. I'm sure there is a point here, I just don't see it.

And actually, no, when you take your BMW for service (which, according to most data, will be less frequent than when you take in your Jeep), it will be completely free because you pre-pay for it for several years when you buy the car.

And even though BMWs are more expensive, that doesn't make the Jeep better. It gives the Jeep more points in the value column... but who cares? A 15 year old Toyota is clearly better value than a new Mercedes, but I still think someone driving the old Toyota who "feels sorry" for Mercedes drivers are morons.
Lol, it’s not free, you prepaid for it. Jeep’s happy to sell you a prepaid oil change plan (mine came with the first 4 for free), but it sucks because it forces you to drive all the way back to the dealer instead of just dropping it off closer to your house.
But otherwise yeah, the GC is in need of an update. The platform is 8 years old. Supposedly a new one comes out this summer.
Btw I’d feel sorry for a 15 year old Mercedes owner. Not only are they stuck with high repair cost, but they’re driving an old and busted looking Mercedes. Driving a brand new Mercedes makes you look affluent, driving an old one makes you look like you’re trying too hard.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:20 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,172,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
This argument is ridiculous.

7 of top ten selling cars in US are pick up trucks, SUV or compact SUV. Is everyone buying trucks and SUV just because there are no good sedans or because most people prefer a truck or SUV? Car companies want to make money so they sell what the market is asking for. If people wanted sedans then they'd sell sedans.

Americans are very fat so they need to buy bigger vehicles to fit their rotundness.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:22 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,425,323 times
FCA is going to be building a new GC and a new 3rd row Jeep.

https://www.autonews.com/manufacturi...new-jeep-plant

Old 05-07-2019, 05:36 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,326,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Btw I’d feel sorry for a 15 year old Mercedes owner. Not only are they stuck with high repair cost, but they’re driving an old and busted looking Mercedes. Driving a brand new Mercedes makes you look affluent, driving an old one makes you look like you’re trying too hard.

Unless you're old money and you drive one of these:

And have had it since new...

Old 05-07-2019, 06:55 AM

6,560 posts, read 7,143,122 times
Quote:
This is a free country drive what you want, there are BMW fans and their are Jeep fans, but i bet you would not take the BMW of yours four wheeling would you.
I take my Cayenne Turbo off roading in northeastern MN. Finding rims/tires was hardest part, had to go with stock turbo 19’s to fit around gigantic calipers. Then there are absolutely zero all terrain tires/ off road tires to fit them, which isn’t surprising. It does have center locking differential, hill decent, etc...and it’ll embarrass many vehicles on the ring. I found a Cooper Zeon mud/snow that “fits” and gets me everywhere my Jeep buddies go when trekking. Then we get on pavement and mine shines even more, it does everything including pulling my 16 ft trailer. But yes, my mechanic friends at dealer keep saying I’m only one who takes Cayenne off roading. I found one other guy on 6speed. Both sides have brush light marks that I’ll need to buff out if you look in detail.

Just an FYI a Porsche 959 (one if not best car ever made) won the overall Dakar rally in 1986, a fricken supercar even in this day beat purpose built trucks.

I’ve own a 94 Wrangler, 98 5.9 Limited, and driven new SRT8 GC, I don’t mind Jeeps.

Last edited by wamer27; 05-07-2019 at 07:03 AM..

Old 05-07-2019, 08:44 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,713,440 times
Anybody who thinks American car companies can't make a nice sedan need to go drive a 19 Impala.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive