Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2019, 08:13 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,425,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
They'll be allocating it somewhere else after that. We just don't know where yet.
They need to build more Blackwing CT6's. They don't have any trouble selling those.
I’m sure they will find a new product for the pole town plant, it’s not that old of a plant in fact the Orion assembly plant and the pole town plant are sister plants. My brother has hauled many a machines on his semi covered wagon trailer to both plants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 09:40 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,930,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Sedan sales are trending downward, so why waste resources on a broad spectrum of vehicles, many of which are uncompetitive and in decline? Focus on what consumers want (pickups and SUVs/CUVs) and put all your money into developing what sells. And let the competition fight over an ever shrinking market.
You have just described in a nutshell why Honda and Toyota will be going strong 50 years from now, and why it's anyone's guess if the Big Three will survive.

The Big Three thinks short term; next quarter, next year - maybe they think forward one major model change but that's about it. Their mindset has never been about continuous improvement or lean manufacturing practices. It has always been about short term profit and catering to Wall Street.

Companies T and H on the other hand have 10 year, 20 year and even 50 year plans that they take very seriously. They are constantly seeking ways to improve their quality and processes, because they are willing to admit that they can be improved.

Big Three's arrogance and unwillingness to seriously consider modernizing their product development process, their unwillingness to invest profit in new technologies, their incredibly inefficient organizations and the fact that they are the puppets of Wall Street are just a few of the reasons why it is unlikely they will be able to compete in the future.

This is the reality.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:45 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
...There are two groups in this discussion that prefer to whine, rather than view reality as it is. The first are the "auto enthusiasts" who write lovingly about how awesome things like coupes, sedans, manual transmissions, and compact trucks with little diesel engines are. The often implied concept is that, the doltish car buyers of North America are too uncool to see how cool all of these unmarketable vehicles are. As a result, the enthusiasts are denied all the cool stuff, since car builders don't see a big enough market to make it worth the risk of building low volume, unpopular cars.
Guilty as charged. Even though I'm not a truck-person, I can understand truck-enthusiasts who enjoy torquey diesels, who can go down the quarter-mile in 12 seconds while towing 5000 pounds.... or who like to bench-race about whether Ford's turbocharged 3.5 is comparable to Chevy's naturally-aspirated 6.2. What I can't understand is people who buy large/tall vehicles because they want a large/tall appliance. I loathe with frustrated dismay how vehicular enthusiasm, whether about sports-cars or even about trucks, is on the wane.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:51 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,259,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
This is the reality.
The reality is Honda is not all that.

They're a whole bunch of nothing in anything that commands real money.
Unable to make a decent profit on products that they didn't have to incentivize in the past, their bottom line is suffering.
They've never made a decent EV and made several hybrids that were downright bad.

They make pretty nice lawn mowers, though. Too bad for them... those are also going electric.

Quote:
Their mindset has never been about continuous improvement or lean manufacturing practices.
Complete nonsense. All of the global automakers do these things.

Last edited by eaton53; 05-08-2019 at 01:02 PM..

Old 05-08-2019, 01:56 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,952,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
You have just described in a nutshell why Honda and Toyota will be going strong 50 years from now, and why it's anyone's guess if the Big Three will survive.

The Big Three thinks short term; next quarter, next year - maybe they think forward one major model change but that's about it. Their mindset has never been about continuous improvement or lean manufacturing practices. It has always been about short term profit and catering to Wall Street.

Companies T and H on the other hand have 10 year, 20 year and even 50 year plans that they take very seriously. They are constantly seeking ways to improve their quality and processes, because they are willing to admit that they can be improved.

Big Three's arrogance and unwillingness to seriously consider modernizing their product development process, their unwillingness to invest profit in new technologies, their incredibly inefficient organizations and the fact that they are the puppets of Wall Street are just a few of the reasons why it is unlikely they will be able to compete in the future.

This is the reality.
Like what? Toyota made a fuel cell car that nobody bought, Honda can't figure out how to sell a truck nor keep a hybrid in the lineup two years in a row. Neither can make an EV (which both China and Europe are going to). Toyota has some promising hybrids, but they're going to need to step up their game if they want to keep up. It used to be that most 3rd world countries stuck to Toyotas. Now I see Hyundai's and Kia's dominating those markets.

The Big Three on the other hand have the only PHEV minivan, class leading trucks and are leading the way in EVs and AI vehicles.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:49 PM

6,561 posts, read 7,143,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Like what? Toyota made a fuel cell car that nobody bought, Honda can't figure out how to sell a truck nor keep a hybrid in the lineup two years in a row. Neither can make an EV (which both China and Europe are going to). Toyota has some promising hybrids, but they're going to need to step up their game if they want to keep up. It used to be that most 3rd world countries stuck to Toyotas. Now I see Hyundai's and Kia's dominating those markets.

The Big Three on the other hand have the only PHEV minivan, class leading trucks and are leading the way in EVs and AI vehicles.
So the Prius is a promising car huh? Please explain to me how the big three are leading the way in EV? Tesla has sold more EV's in one year then the big three have in the lifetimes. I saw a new electric Audi suv at a car show my dealer put on, it was someone attending the shows car. What big three electric suv can I go to dealer today and buy?

Old 05-08-2019, 03:13 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,107,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Yes, it is true that sedan sales are down across the board.

However, it is also true, that the overwhelming majority of sedans sold, are sold by the European and Asian manufacturers.

The other truth is the American manufacturers don't really have an answer other than concede the market and sell pickups.

That's truly sad and pathetic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
But sedans are down for the European makers and Asians. In fact Ford is helping VW to build a pickup for sale in Europe. Americans don’t want sedans and the proof is in the numbers.

I guess you need to actually read my post because I conceded car sales are down in my first sentence.

HOWEVER, I also stated that the majority of sedans are sold by European and Asian manufacturers and the Americans have no answer to their dominance in SEDANS sales.

I guess your counter-argument is "Americans don't want sedans".

To which I say, Americans don't want "American" sedans but Americans will buy "European" and "Asian" sedans and quoting you, "the proof is in the numbers".

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...130-story.html

Old 05-08-2019, 03:16 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,107,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
So you want them to make cars nobody’s buying? They’re conceding a failing platform and selling a profitable one. The German’s on the other hand conceded the pickup market.

See post #177.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:52 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,259,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Please explain to me how the big three are leading the way in EV?
Who actually made the 1st affordable long range EV?

Quote:
I saw a new electric Audi suv at a car show my dealer put on, it was someone attending the shows car. What big three electric suv can I go to dealer today and buy?
Big deal.
There are 800 new Chevy Bolts on AutoTrader for under $30K right now.
What EVs do they have that you can go to a dealer and buy today that is not a toy for the rich?

Last edited by eaton53; 05-08-2019 at 04:06 PM..

Old 05-08-2019, 05:45 PM

4,613 posts, read 3,005,102 times
[quote=NW4me;55127509]Glad to hear these happy reviews of the V6...
maybe I'll spend a bit more and buy a (basic) GC instead of a Subaru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I'be been impressed with that 3.6 motor actually.

I don't know much about Subaru but wife owned a Honda Plot before she got this GC
and much prefers the GC.
It's not quite a fair comparison since the GC is bigger and pricier than the Subaru...
I suppose the more director competitor is the Cherokee, and it can be had with a V6 or a turbo 4.
But people here on CD have reported reliability issues with it, and some online reviews
cite a laggy transmission.

So if the GC seems worth the extra $$, I might just buy one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive