Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2019, 02:42 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I'm sure the Superduty plant is working three shifts...

The F-450 pickup set it apart from Ram and GM for a good while.
Ford use to make Semi trucks, and Farm Tractors also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 02:51 PM

485 posts, read 966,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
It's all price. The local dealer here has a real estate style yard sign, one for every ten feet of curb, on every patch of property they own. They are printed with 15-20% off 2018s and 10% off 2019s. They also run the, "If you can fog a mirror, make over $300 a week, and have ID, we CAN GET YOU financed!!! " style of marketing. I'll stick with the opinion of several guys I know who work on about anything with wheels, for independent shops. That being, you can't go wrong avoiding Nissan products.
"fog a mirror" LOL! Wow. Okay, lots of marketing. I took a similar chance on a Hyundai Sonata in 2010. Large discount for new as the '11 models were out. Worked out well, a traditionally unreliable car has been VERY reliable and does what we needed it to do. Now we are looking at SUV's and the Forester jumps out at us, however, I could probably save a good $4,000 or so for a similarly equipped Rogue. Is the risk of unreliability worth it? I guess that will play into the equation.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:43 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Different parent companies, though, right? Unless you mean the power train is coming from the same place.

When I'm thinking "rebadged _____" I'm thinking of Toyota FR-S / Subaru BR-Z, or Pontiac Solstice / Saturn Sky.

Actually for the Miata/124, the powertrains are coming form different places (the Fiat uses the FCA 1.4T that is also found in the 500 Abarth, while the Miata uses a normally aspirated 2 liter made by Mazda) but the chassis and interior are identical, with just different outer skins. They are both made on the same assembly line in Japan.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:45 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
When Tesla has sales like the F -150 that will be the day I’ll buy a Tesla but we all know that will never happen.

Well, you can put a lot of companies in that category if F150 sales numbers are your metric for buying a car.

Old 05-09-2019, 04:12 PM

599 posts, read 498,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyInGreatLakes View Post
"fog a mirror" LOL! Wow. Okay, lots of marketing. I took a similar chance on a Hyundai Sonata in 2010. Large discount for new as the '11 models were out. Worked out well, a traditionally unreliable car has been VERY reliable and does what we needed it to do. Now we are looking at SUV's and the Forester jumps out at us, however, I could probably save a good $4,000 or so for a similarly equipped Rogue. Is the risk of unreliability worth it? I guess that will play into the equation.
IMHO, I would be at the Hyundai, Honda and Toyota dealers, and try very hard to find something to fit my needs, before I bought a Subby, and the Nissan would be a hard no. I've got another acquaintance that is a service writer for a Nissan dealer. She states that every week is a whole new pile of CVT transmissions arriving, to replace a long list of warranty and customer pay transmission failures. This results in a whole pile of scrap transmissions getting hauled away, every week, year after year. I'll pass on joining that club.

Old 05-09-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Well, you can put a lot of companies in that category if F150 sales numbers are your metric for buying a car.
You know that the F-150 was the best selling vehicle in the world so I’m not worried about another company selling more vehicles especially in the USA were the F-150 has been the best selling vehicle for over 40 years.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:23 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
You could replace "F-150" with "Silverado" or "Ram" and the story would be the same.
When the government basically outlawed the large BOF car via CAFE, these are what replaced it.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:43 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
Except a Fiat 124 .... is a rebadged Miata !
Yeah, and where’s everybody else’s Miatas?

Old 05-09-2019, 07:07 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Ford use to make Semi trucks, and Farm Tractors also.
I did not know that!

The F-650 and F-750 still come darn close, from what it seems. Not sure if this stands for "Class 6" and "Class 7", respectively. -Almost- a semi truck!

If you're bored, look up an F-650 with a pickup bed

Old 05-09-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
You could replace "F-150" with "Silverado" or "Ram" and the story would be the same.
When the government basically outlawed the large BOF car via CAFE, these are what replaced it.
You do know the F-150 has been the top selling vehicle in America for 42 years and there were plenty of BOF vehicles between those years also, including full size station wagons. So you’re assumption about the outlawed BOF is kind of ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive