Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2019, 09:59 PM

603 posts, read 443,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Even a Ford Raptor doesn't turn heads here.
that’s quite a surprise... Raptors turn more heads here then the (literally) dozens of Ferraris, Bentleys, Lamborghinis, Rolls Royces and other exotics you would see around here on a average day in season. There was one of those Hennessy 6x6 ones parked outside a restaurant in Miami a few months ago and the crowd around it was literally 3 deep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 10:05 PM

603 posts, read 443,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
As some who once raced SCCA I get it. Car manufacturers like Mazda prove that your wrong. And to those who drive electric cars will disagree with you. Tesla’s are more of a status symbol then anything else, then again so are the newer trucks and SUVs.

You still seem to be missing my point.
I get your point .. I just think that the market will swing back away from SUV’s and as car services become ubiquitous that only the more exciting cars will actually sell to individuals. I make no secret of my dislike for crossovers whilst supporting genuine SUV buyers and truck buyers. Most GLE buyers would be FAR better served by an E class wagon. I can’t understand why people don’t see that.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:21 PM

6,560 posts, read 7,143,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
I get your point .. I just think that the market will swing back away from SUV’s and as car services become ubiquitous that only the more exciting cars will actually sell to individuals. I make no secret of my dislike for crossovers whilst supporting genuine SUV buyers and truck buyers. Most GLE buyers would be FAR better served by an E class wagon. I can’t understand why people don’t see that.
My father has a E class and is looking at GLC43, Macan, A6, but he really would buy asap is A6 allroad. It’s in Europe, but might be coming here. He doesn’t like the E wagon.

Old 05-11-2019, 01:17 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,438,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
And so does many SUVs look the same from the rear, what’s your point, you think Ford is copying FCA?, you do know that it’s against the law to copy a copyright design. GM had to redesign the Hummer front grill because it looked like a Jeep grill.
https://images.app.goo.gl/m1RTeJvzpVNYMoPt6

https://images.app.goo.gl/GeeTCwMCmAE3ykQm6

https://images.app.goo.gl/SSQNBr6KqpoMkBc28

https://images.app.goo.gl/e77vDfGcTXPXT5JA6

https://images.app.goo.gl/ckBtdnWXUfhea9Gj6

https://images.app.goo.gl/TENwqN4CCMzWiN8E7

Old 05-11-2019, 04:53 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,425,323 times
There has been a rise in automotive espionage this article is from 2012 but I’m sure it has grown even bigger since then because of the economic times we are living in, every automaker wants to get the edge on their counterparts.

https://www.autonews.com/article/201...rial-espionage

Old 05-11-2019, 05:25 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
As long as people will continue to buy 50K plus trucks and SUVs which as been going on for some time now, Car makers will continue build them. IMO, it’s a keep up with the Joneses idea. People tend to want what others have.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:28 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,053 times
I think it's funny when those Raptors try to take me at a light...

Old 05-11-2019, 06:55 AM

599 posts, read 499,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
As much as I like Ford and the F150. I also years ago worked that the Norfolk Va. Ford truck assembly plant, all we made was the F150. The aluminum bed idea was not one of Fords best ideas, for a vehicle that would mostly be used for work. But we all have read why they went that direction. Where I use to work we had several. That commercial where they drop a tool box and it put a hole in the bed, True. In no time both wheel wells in the bed had major dents in them. Our paint shop guy had to take the rear wheels off and hammer them back up. At least get a bed liner. Just walking in the bed it creeks and makes noises. The tailgate weights next to nothing and dents very easily. The V6 runs surprising well. The F250 Super Duty we had, drove like a tank. Nothing I would ever own. But I guess it has its place. The F150, For a driver and maybe haul things once in a while, or mostly not at all. Its ok.
My son manages part of a large construction and oil field service company. One of his tasks is reselling the unused beds from the new F150s and Superduties they buy. The new trucks are picked up at the dealer and immediately get a new heavy duty flatbed on the back. The company used to just tolerate the damage and beating that the steel beds would endure, but they don't bother putting the aluminum beds through that abuse, since they just can't handle it. Given the fact that the eco-boosts don't make it past 70-80K without major engine work, and then seem to be in the shop at least once a year for major engine repairs, until they sell them, I really have no idea why they stick with the brand?

Old 05-11-2019, 08:19 AM

5,723 posts, read 4,696,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
in·vest·ment
/inˈves(t)mənt/
noun
noun: investment; plural noun: investments
the action or process of investing money for profit or material result.

Without a profit or material result there is no investment.

You have certainly picked a loser of a company to attempt to support that disaster which is Tesla. Uber, having lost $4.5 BILLION in 2018 alone has now gone public and closed day one down 7.6% from their opening price point. Thanks for proving my point.
It amazes me the lengths people will go to to prove they are clueless. Sometimes you buy something that never makes a profit. If investing were a guarantee, it wouldn't be a challenge.

If you bought Tesla when it had it's IPO ~$20 per share you could cash in today at almost $240. Not a bad investment.

So profit must be immediate? Investors who had long term investments in Uber made BILLIONS yesterday.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:53 PM

23,598 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
Given the fact that the eco-boosts don't make it past 70-80K without major engine work, and then seem to be in the shop at least once a year for major engine repairs, until they sell them, I really have no idea why they stick with the brand?
I have never heard of such a thing. At least the 2.7Ls outside a few carbon buildup issues the first couple of years, things are as bulletproof as they come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive