Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2019, 05:10 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,259,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
Too late Scouts are expensive now !
Co-worker already has one... rust free 1970-something Scout (Arizona truck) survivor, original paint, blue with white stripes.
It's got patina, but it's very clean and runs well.

The weather's finally getting good enough for it to come out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 05:29 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I'm not sure this is the case.

There is a funny meme about capitalism that shows innovation in the car companies by a side view of every SUV. They are almost all exactly the same!

Take a small anecdote. ME.
Wifey has an old 2008 Subaru outback...a station wagon! The current outbacks are massive, so they are off the table. What can we buy at a reasonable cost that has the same basic footprint and capacity?

ONE MODEL...and that is likely to be discontinued. The VW Sportwagen.....

It sold well 2 years ago and 3 years ago, poorly last year. This was not due to consumers changing their mind...because I have direct experience with the situation!

We have stopped into VW dealers 3X in the last 18 months trying to find one to drive. NONE available. I was also going to buy an Arteon (VW) to replace my 9 year old Passat. Nope...not on the lot and delayed for a full year. BUT, they would love to show me an Atlas!

What came first, the chicken or the egg? I say the car makers in the USA wanted more profits and they always got them out of pumped up trucks and SUVS (very few people buy the base models).....

Back to that station wagon I want. Yep, I can buy a 55K Volvo or Audi to do the job. A nice E class Benz at 65K+ would do the job also.

At the same time, a real nice Camry Hybrid is 28K.

What is wrong with this picture? IMHO, I could do a LOT better (I'm a marketer) in knowing what the market desires than those at VW and the American car companies.

The foreign makers came up with better SUVs because the American companies proved American drivers were idiots when it comes to common sense. "Well, Joe, this model gets terrible MPG, doesn't hold any more stuff and is harder to park, etc....BUT, it gives you a sense of command since you sit higher".

Personally I don’t see the point in having a gas hog SUV myself most carry two people and not much else.
I see VW Sportwagens all over the place here. Let me ask you this. Do you NEED or WANT a new car? We tend to buy good used cars I refuse to pay 30K plus for a new car myself. Unless you drive it to the wheels far off why have one? My wife has a 07 Outback and intends to drive it until the engine blows. GM order and dodge are giving people what they want in my opinion, they understand the market in the market says trucks and SUVs is what people want. Even if they have to go in debt for it.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:41 PM

603 posts, read 443,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Personally I don’t see the point in having a gas hog SUV myself most carry two people and not much else.
I see VW Sportwagens all over the place here. Let me ask you this. Do you NEED or WANT a new car? We tend to buy good used cars I refuse to pay 30K plus for a new car myself. Unless you drive it to the wheels far off why have one? My wife has a 07 Outback and intends to drive it until the engine blows. GM order and dodge are giving people what they want in my opinion, they understand the market in the market says trucks and SUVs is what people want. Even if they have to go in debt for it.

I always WANT a new ( to me ) car.

This is why I have 27 of them

Old 05-10-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I always WANT a new ( to me ) car.

This is why I have 27 of them
You have seemly missed my point.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:25 PM

603 posts, read 443,358 times
Quote:
You have seemly missed my point.
Nah you missed mine ... cars are not about transportation, reliability, fuel economy or practically. If you don’t get that you’re not a car person.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Nah you missed mine ... cars are not about transportation, reliability, fuel economy or practically. If you don’t get that you’re not a car person.
As some who once raced SCCA I get it. Car manufacturers like Mazda prove that your wrong. And to those who drive electric cars will disagree with you. Tesla’s are more of a status symbol then anything else, then again so are the newer trucks and SUVs.

You still seem to be missing my point.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:01 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,259,463 times
Some people don't want to drive a junky old car until the wheels fall off.
I just got rid of one that never broke because I tired of driving a shabby car with no features.
Somewhere a skinflint is gonna love it.

You can also buy a VERY nice car for less than $30K. Luxury cars depreciate hard and fast.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:22 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Yeah, had two older ones..and, of course, all of them needed head gaskets at 60K or so....

Looked at the new one in a parking lot the other day....liked it but TOO HIGH. That's part of my point. A station wagon is something you want to load 50 lb bags of gravel, mulch and soil into...let alone wheelchairs and other stuff for family members.

Lift it another few inches off the ground and it gets harder for those who are older (or anyone really).

Then, lift the COG and the thing rolls around turns feeling....well, not so great.

It's a good vehicle and that is why they are so popular, but my point is that a lot of the stuff made or sold here doesn't address the actual market....rather we are somewhat forced by lack of choice.

As you probably know, VW and many other makes offer scads of wagons in Europe. This is because they are practical....

Given the choice, no driver with even a bit of "feeling" is going to want something elevated higher off the ground. It takes the pleasure out of driving...no fargehnugen or whatever!

Vehicles like the Soul and Kona are selling quite well because people can't get the station wagons...so they get something close.
I find it's much easier getting in and out of a Subaru Outback or Forester than my Hyundai Sonata. In fact, my Sonata will almost certainly be the last sedan I ever own. My wife has a 2018 Outback and she says the same thing.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:25 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
Quote:
As some who once raced SCCA I get it. Car manufacturers like Mazda prove that your wrong. And to those who drive electric cars will disagree with you. Tesla’s are more of a status symbol then anything else, then again so are the newer trucks and SUVs.

You still seem to be missing my point.
Newer trucks and SUVs are hardly a status symbol when everyone on my street owns one or more. Even a Ford Raptor doesn't turn heads here.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:43 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Newer trucks and SUVs are hardly a status symbol when everyone on my street owns one or more. Even a Ford Raptor doesn't turn heads here.
OTOH, my sedan gets tons of compliments everywhere I go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive