Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2019, 12:51 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,581,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Take a small anecdote. ME.
Wifey has an old 2008 Subaru outback...a station wagon! The current outbacks are massive, so they are off the table. What can we buy at a reasonable cost that has the same basic footprint and capacity?

A Subaru Forester. The 2019 models are really nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 01:05 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,758,884 times
There is one reason, that the American companies are starting to discontinue, building cars, station wagons, etc. for one reason---the sales of cars, is declining at such a rate, that they will not be profitable to keep building them shortly, considering the costs of billions of dollars, and the fact that they will be unable to recover those development cost as sales decline.

It is better to build what the majority of people want to buy, so cars are going the way of the dodo bird.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:27 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
EV vehicle don’t sell only 21,255 were sold iso far this year compared to Fords sales of their F series pickups were 214,611 for the first 3 months of 2019.
Quote:
When Tesla has sales like the F -150 that will be the day I’ll buy a Tesla but we all know that will never happen. Look at these statistics from 2017 for the F-150 Tesla can only hope to do this good.

Jun 7, 2017 · To break it down even further, Ford sells 102 trucks per hour, meaning an average of nearly two people are driving off the lot with a new F-150 every minute in the U.S., 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Quote:
In 2018 Ford Ford F-Series sales were - 909,330. this includes the F-150 F-250 and the F-350.

The F-150 in particular stands out, with more than 40 million sold over the last 60 years.
Quote:
You know that the F-150 was the best selling vehicle in the world so I’m not worried about another company selling more vehicles especially in the USA were the F-150 has been the best selling vehicle for over 40 years.
Quote:
You do know the F-150 has been the top selling vehicle in America for 42 years and there were plenty of BOF vehicles between those years also, including full size station wagons. So you’re assumption about the outlawed BOF is kind of ridiculous.
Yeah, dude, we get it!!!!!

You really, really love the Ford F-150, like Scooby-Doo loves Scooby Snacks.

Give it a rest already.

SHEESH!!!!

Old 05-10-2019, 01:41 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,412,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Yeah, dude, we get it!!!!!

You really, really love the Ford F-150, like Scooby-Doo loves Scooby Snacks.

Give it a rest already.

SHEESH!!!!
Well some on here think pickups are a fad and sedans will make a comeback and Tesla is doing great lol lol.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:04 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,414,705 times
As much as I like Ford and the F150. I also years ago worked that the Norfolk Va. Ford truck assembly plant, all we made was the F150. The aluminum bed idea was not one of Fords best ideas, for a vehicle that would mostly be used for work. But we all have read why they went that direction. Where I use to work we had several. That commercial where they drop a tool box and it put a hole in the bed, True. In no time both wheel wells in the bed had major dents in them. Our paint shop guy had to take the rear wheels off and hammer them back up. At least get a bed liner. Just walking in the bed it creeks and makes noises. The tailgate weights next to nothing and dents very easily. The V6 runs surprising well. The F250 Super Duty we had, drove like a tank. Nothing I would ever own. But I guess it has its place. The F150, For a driver and maybe haul things once in a while, or mostly not at all. Its ok.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:49 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,832,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Or you could say invested $6.3 B in ten years. This ain't Henry Ford's day and age. Building corporations costs money. As an example, watch what Uber's IPO hits today. They've invested a helluva lot more money.

in·vest·ment
/inˈves(t)mənt/
noun
noun: investment; plural noun: investments
the action or process of investing money for profit or material result.

Without a profit or material result there is no investment.

You have certainly picked a loser of a company to attempt to support that disaster which is Tesla. Uber, having lost $4.5 BILLION in 2018 alone has now gone public and closed day one down 7.6% from their opening price point. Thanks for proving my point.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:42 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,666,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
[/b]

A Subaru Forester. The 2019 models are really nice.
Yeah, had two older ones..and, of course, all of them needed head gaskets at 60K or so....

Looked at the new one in a parking lot the other day....liked it but TOO HIGH. That's part of my point. A station wagon is something you want to load 50 lb bags of gravel, mulch and soil into...let alone wheelchairs and other stuff for family members.

Lift it another few inches off the ground and it gets harder for those who are older (or anyone really).

Then, lift the COG and the thing rolls around turns feeling....well, not so great.

It's a good vehicle and that is why they are so popular, but my point is that a lot of the stuff made or sold here doesn't address the actual market....rather we are somewhat forced by lack of choice.

As you probably know, VW and many other makes offer scads of wagons in Europe. This is because they are practical....

Given the choice, no driver with even a bit of "feeling" is going to want something elevated higher off the ground. It takes the pleasure out of driving...no fargehnugen or whatever!

Vehicles like the Soul and Kona are selling quite well because people can't get the station wagons...so they get something close.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:03 PM

603 posts, read 442,212 times
Quote:
Well some on here think pickups are a fad and sedans will make a comeback and Tesla is doing great lol lol.
Don’t worry.... the F trucks are living legends of the story of the automobile. Now a square body extended cab XLT from about 1983 would be my pick ( well is my pick because I have one ) and I’m also partial to C10’s from a similar vintage. But my actual modern semi DD pickup is a F150 Limited with the fantastic ecoboost raptor motor and it’s a great vehicle indeed

Old 05-10-2019, 04:22 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,249,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
Now a square body extended cab XLT from about 1983 would be my pick ( well is my pick because I have one ) and I’m also partial to C10’s from a similar vintage.
It's amazing how collectible the old trucks have become.

A few years ago they was one here and there at Mecum and Barrett-Jackson.
Now there's a pickup parade and prices are WAY up. The same thing with early SUVs... Broncos, Blazers and Land Cruisers.
Get your IH Scout / Travelall before they go crazy too!

Old 05-10-2019, 04:33 PM

603 posts, read 442,212 times
Too late Scouts are expensive now ! I had a Blazer I sold and made quite a profit and currently have a Bronco that I’ve probably got $25k in that would sell for $35-40k. Grand Wagoneers are starting to rocket up in value as are 80’s square body Suburbans

For those looking for future winners.... Lincoln Town Cars, Police Crown Vics and 93-96 rwd C body GM cars so many were just destroyed that good ones that you can buy for $4k now will be worth $40k in 10 years if looked after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive