Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 02:10 PM

251 posts, read 235,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
What does the age of a car have to do with anything? I have two vehicles in my HH and I turn both over once roughly ever 3-4 years. Roughly 30%+/- of cars sold in the US are leased. Decades or more is simply an absurd blanket statement for reoccurring customer rates
I agree yup
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 02:20 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Average length of ownership had grown to around 7 years.

Car salesman turnover rate is 67%.

Purchasing from the same salesman after 7 years is a statistical anomaly.

Especially when coupled with the fact that people don't always buy the same brand back to back.

Old 08-18-2019, 03:40 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
The days of landing a company job and staying there 20+ years are long gone.
Lots of people with 20+ years where I work, including me.

Old 08-18-2019, 03:52 PM

1,022 posts, read 737,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc1022 View Post
Why do car dealers have car salespeople?? they cannot do anything. They are more like a greeter. Here is what happens. You go in, get a salesperson, test drive the car if you like it you sit with the "salesperson" try to make a reasonable deal, THEN it begins..............Your salesperson goes to the "sales manager" who really is the main person here and the sales manager makes a "new deal" sends the salesperson back to tell you well....................were close. BUT the boss says its gonna take 3000 more etc...

How I would sooooooooooo not want to be a car salesperson!! They cannot do anything, they cannot make their own deals, It is all up to the sales manager so why even have a car salesperson?? they cant make their own deals. How sad it is for that salesperson that their income is governed by their boss. SO even if there was just a little profit and the salesperson really needed the sale it was denied by his boss

so really, what good are salespeople?? their hands are so tied they cant make deals. all they do is become a "puppet" to the sales manager. Why doesn't the sales manager get the crappy job of going back to a customer that you know would buy the car at a reasonable price BUT you as the salesperson have to be the bad guy???

any car salespeople here want to give me your opinion??

FYI.... I am NOT a car salesperson I DID try once in the 80s never AGAIN!!...

Your original post is pretty accurate. I didn't see too many car salespeople responding so thought I'd give it a try. I did sell cars for approx. 12 yrs. Not anymore though. It can be an interesting business.(can explain if asked) But YOU are correct. Car salespeople are glorified greeters. But, Hey ! someone has to say "Hello, welcome, How are you today". Those are the car salesmen.

The Manager controls ALL sales. The salesperson has no idea what he will decide. A lot of it is 'How many have we sold today'. If they have not sold many by mid-afternoon, the deal gets better. If they've had a good morning, afternoon cars will need a high offer to get sold.

PLEASE - don't get mad at your salesperson, we couldn't control the deal at all. Managers will even tell the salesman to go out and **** off the buyer, then give in and a deal is done.

There are a lot of assumptions in some previous posts and I certainly understand why. The business model could sure use some adjusting, to say it politely.

Also, there is NO set script between the sales guy/girl with the manager. All car salesmen want to make the deal and are trying to convince the manager to just do it. As long as there is a profit.

Honesty is key to success in car sales. Many new to the business don't get that. They believe the fairy tales of the past like "only driven by little old lady to the store and back". Or, well you all know the B.S.

I had many repeat customers, referrals, entire families buying their cars from me. I did enjoy the business,
, but couldn't stand the management as well as quite a few co-workers.

Old 08-18-2019, 03:53 PM

186 posts, read 135,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
mdc1022, before I purchased my last car (new, first new car in thirty years, as I don't like dealing with new car dealers!) I researched the business model on YouTube. Worth your time. The "salespeople" who you first encounter are the lowest rung of the sales model for car dealerships. The people who actually are tasked with making money are the people in "Finance and Insurance" also called managers, or business managers.

The only safe way to purchase a new car is to do so without going into a dealership. Use email. Tell them exactly what you wish to purchase, and ask them for the "out the door price." Some places won't respond. Others will, but will ask for a phone number. Don't give them one.

Find the dealer with the lowest o-t-d price, period. Don't permit them to tack on any additional expenses. The are all nonsense. I purchased my last car (new) while I was in AZ, from a MA dealer. All the paperwork was done overnight express. I came in to pick up my car when I flew back to MA from my winter place.

Another poster mentioned that you have to remember, you are the person with the money. You control the situation. Walk away if you are uncomfortable. Don't be rude, just be an adult. Don't let them play mind games with you (and they will. That's how they are trained!).

Again, spend a few minutes on YouTube, looking at car sales tactics.

My personal favorite is a fellow named Steve Richards. He trains car salespeople. I watched him demonstrate to a customer how a +$500 dollar a month car expense was actually $140 bucks!!

If the above confuses you, watch the Abotte and Costello routine, "$7 goes into 28 13 times."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzxVyO6cpos

Funny, and a similar technique was used by Richards to get the result he wished for!

Rich
I will agree with the "don't give them a phone number" idea. When going to a couple Nissan and Kia places we have given them our phone number to let them know to contact us when they have a car in stock. Well, literally the sales people from each place called once a month with the new "Deals" on Nissan or Kia until one day I decided I would begin to pick up the phone, so each time I picked up the phone I told them I'm not looking to buy Nissan or Kia. When shopping for a brand new vehicle I never give out my number because I understand that salespeople often times are expected to reach quotas to because the "highest volume" store in their area of brand but that idea of calling every single potential customer on a list is ridiculous.
No wonder Bob Johnson is #1 Chevy in America, they probably have people calling nonstop to say how they have the best deal in Rochester (which is what they say on TV too but it isn't true - I've had friends buy Chevys at other dealers for better prices) and since Chevrolet is Upstate NY's favorite brand they benefits from it. I never understood why SO MANY people in Upstate NY like the Chevy pickup trucks, the impalas and the Equinoxes but they do.
So yes, agreeing with you on this and kudos to including the famous A&C skit.

Old 08-18-2019, 03:57 PM

656 posts, read 1,374,635 times
"good cop bad cop" The hand is quicker than the eye.

Plus plus plus sign this and this.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:00 PM

186 posts, read 135,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
My real question is why not just put a price on the car. This car is $X out the door. No haggle, no game, no salespeople.
Take the game away and let it be real price competition between dealers and brands. Yes, I know, I'm dreaming. The game is there to keep people from know the real cost and prevent competition from actually working to reduce the price of the car. I know some people get a kick out of "putting one over on the dealer" but reality is most haggling is over fractions of the price whereas true competition would bring the price down even more.
Most dealers list the pricing of vehicles in their inventory on their site. Perhaps some dealers do have listings where it says "please call" or they don't mention an inventory at all in which case your best bet is to not consider purchasing these cars because you're not getting a breakdown of how the price was determined.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:12 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard View Post
"good cop bad cop" The hand is quicker than the eye.

Plus plus plus sign this and this.
I tried to explain that to the op but he said I was wrong so I guess he will continue to be clueless.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
Your original post is pretty accurate. I didn't see too many car salespeople responding so thought I'd give it a try. I did sell cars for approx. 12 yrs. Not anymore though. It can be an interesting business.(can explain if asked) But YOU are correct. Car salespeople are glorified greeters. But, Hey ! someone has to say "Hello, welcome, How are you today". Those are the car salesmen.

The Manager controls ALL sales. The salesperson has no idea what he will decide. A lot of it is 'How many have we sold today'. If they have not sold many by mid-afternoon, the deal gets better. If they've had a good morning, afternoon cars will need a high offer to get sold.

PLEASE - don't get mad at your salesperson, we couldn't control the deal at all. Managers will even tell the salesman to go out and **** off the buyer, then give in and a deal is done.

There are a lot of assumptions in some previous posts and I certainly understand why. The business model could sure use some adjusting, to say it politely.

Also, there is NO set script between the sales guy/girl with the manager. All car salesmen want to make the deal and are trying to convince the manager to just do it. As long as there is a profit.

Honesty is key to success in car sales. Many new to the business don't get that. They believe the fairy tales of the past like "only driven by little old lady to the store and back". Or, well you all know the B.S.

I had many repeat customers, referrals, entire families buying their cars from me. I did enjoy the business,
, but couldn't stand the management as well as quite a few co-workers.
great reply thank you I enjoyed reading it. As it seems you understand what I was asking here...

Old 08-18-2019, 07:18 PM

It can be an interesting business.(can explain if asked)<<< feel free to elaborate if you like love to hear what you have to say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive