Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 07:51 AM

483 posts, read 353,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Hell, my 8.1 liter Suburban can't go 500 miles on a full tank even NOT towing anything. Put my 35ft, 9400 lb travel trailer back there and I have to stop every 200 miles and fuel up. I'm an EV fan and have an EV as my daily driver, but I don't see them replacing my truck anytime soon. OTOH, I barely put any miles on the truck as it gets such bad mileage that it's ONLY used to tow the travel trailer occasionally and sometimes make dump runs. The EV is just better for daily driving, and it's quickly getting better for road trips, too.
The topic of this thread is kind of amusing. It's really easy to make a straw man thread highlighting a use case where EVs don't excel. An analogy would be to make a thread asking what vehicles can get 55 MPG, park easily in normal parking spots and also tow thousands of pounds? It looks like you've found a great solution having different vehicles for different needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 08:12 AM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
Batteries, man, when you load them down, that ampere-hour rating seems like a made-up thing of some executive's imagination.

Battery-vehicles are niche-vehicles.......will remain that way for a very long time.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:26 AM

3,041 posts, read 5,000,077 times
Quote:
The fuel tank on my Suburban is 35 gallons. At 10mpg with the 8.1 liter, how far is that? And with the 9500 lb, 35foot trailer on board, I can't just get gas at any old station that's sitting non a streetcorner, It HAS to be done at one that allows the room for a 35 foot trailer to get in and out. So I'm stopping when THOSE fuel stops are available not just at the extreme ends of the 350 miles of nominal range. Gee, just like driving an EV on a road trip.

Why do you insist on comparing an EV to possibly the least efficient passenger engine Chevy ever made (that also happens to not be available anymore)? How about the 3.0 Duramax that gets an estimate 33mpg highway with tests showing 38mpg+ (https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2019/1...s-ratings.html)

In the future when batteries get there EVs will be fine (probably better) for towing, but trying to suggest that EVs are at better at everything at this point in time is ludicrous.

Old 02-09-2021, 10:04 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,321,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Why do you insist on comparing an EV to possibly the least efficient passenger engine Chevy ever made (that also happens to not be available anymore)? How about the 3.0 Duramax that gets an estimate 33mpg highway with tests showing 38mpg+ (https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2019/1...s-ratings.html)

How much does a Duramax truck that gets 33 mpg while towing 9500 lbs cost again? Yeah, that's what I thought. I compare what I HAVE. And there are LOTS of people in my position.

Quote:
In the future when batteries get there EVs will be fine (probably better) for towing, but trying to suggest that EVs are at better at everything at this point in time is ludicrous.

Who said EVs are better at everything? I certainly didn't. Otherwise I wouldn't HAVE an ICE tow vehicle. I said for daily use, they are better. My EV is a compact hatchback, about the same as a Civic Si, VW GTI, Hyundai Veloster, or MINI Cooper, and is priced similarly. It's much better than any of those for daily use and around town performance. Cheaper to operate and fuel, too. As a car guy, I buy cars that are fun and have decent performance. If you test drove a new Bolt, you'd understand how they are really a modern EV hot hatch, with 200 hp and 266 lb ft of torque, delivered instantly. It's fun to drive and with the low CG quite agile, too (though better tires would help. The stock run flat low rolling resistance tires kind of suck).

Old 02-09-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
How much does a Duramax truck that gets 33 mpg while towing 9500 lbs cost again? Yeah, that's what I thought. I compare what I HAVE. And there are LOTS of people in my position.

Who said EVs are better at everything? I certainly didn't. Otherwise I wouldn't HAVE an ICE tow vehicle. I said for daily use, they are better. My EV is a compact hatchback, about the same as a Civic Si, VW GTI, Hyundai Veloster, or MINI Cooper, and is priced similarly. It's much better than any of those for daily use and around town performance. Cheaper to operate and fuel, too. As a car guy, I buy cars that are fun and have decent performance. If you test drove a new Bolt, you'd understand how they are really a modern EV hot hatch, with 200 hp and 266 lb ft of torque, delivered instantly. It's fun to drive and with the low CG quite agile, too (though better tires would help. The stock run flat low rolling resistance tires kind of suck).
The OP is asking about buying a new vehicle and you're responding with an anecdote about an engine that's not even in production. How is that any comparison at all? Or do you just like to make every conversation about yourself?

A Silverado 1500 with the 3.0 diesel costs about as much as a Model 3 and can tow 9500lbs. Likely while getting 20mpg+.

Edit: the discussion is about EVs,towing, and range. What you do with your bolt is irrelevant. Your ancient Suburban with the least fuel efficient engine is irrelevant.

Last edited by johnnytang24; 02-09-2021 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: Add more

Old 02-09-2021, 11:23 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
The OP is asking about buying a new vehicle and you're responding with an anecdote about an engine that's not even in production. How is that any comparison at all? Or do you just like to make every conversation about yourself?

A Silverado 1500 with the 3.0 diesel costs about as much as a Model 3 and can tow 9500lbs. Likely while getting 20mpg+.

Edit: the discussion is about EVs,towing, and range. What you do with your bolt is irrelevant. Your ancient Suburban with the least fuel efficient engine is irrelevant.

OP's talking about buying a new vehicle in 2029 for a 60 mile each way trip in 30-40 degree F weather while towing ~7,700 pounds. That's several years from now, and while there's not a definitive answer for something that far in the future, you can definitely say that's not available right now for purchase because it's true unless you do something like purchase a commercial electric truck which doesn't seem like what the OP is asking. For 2029 though? It would seem likely that'll be within reach of even non-luxury EVs by then.

Old 02-09-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
OP's talking about buying a new vehicle in 2029 for a 60 mile each way trip in 30-40 degree F weather while towing ~7,700 pounds. That's several years from now, and while there's not a definitive answer for something that far in the future, you can definitely say that's not available right now for purchase because it's true unless you do something like purchase a commercial electric truck which doesn't seem like what the OP is asking. For 2029 though? It would seem likely that'll be within reach of even non-luxury EVs by then.
That's what I said earlier. Once batteries are capable, EVs should be great for towing. The torque characteristics of electric motors makes them a great candidate for pulling loads. I believe many of the huge mining trucks use diesel electric, as do locomotives (electric or diesel electric). If it's strong enough to pull a train, it's good enough for whatever puny loads we put on the roads.

On a side note, I took the kids to the rail yard to see the trains and saw one of the electric motors they pulled from a locomotive. Roughly the size of a large car engine + transmission, which isn't too bad considering they put out something like 10,000 ft-lbs of torque. Looks like they use 3 phase with a VFD, very simple, very few moving parts. No brushes or commutators to replace.

Old 02-09-2021, 02:32 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Not angry, just stating fact and reality, and yes Governments world wide are forcing EV's on people and/or banning ICE vehicles. So maybe get educated on the coming mandates or remain ignorant.
ICE vehicles arent just going to be eliminated without suitable replacements.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:25 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,569,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
ICE vehicles arent just going to be eliminated without suitable replacements.
Not true. Governments are putting ICE vehicle bans in place already. Either drive an EV, take public transit, or don't go.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:39 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,553,512 times
I have an EV and live in a cold mountainous region. I tow a camper as well, but use my ICE vehicle for that.

In a two car household, I see very little reason not to have one of them be an EV.

Driving 100 miles in 32 degrees Fahrenheit (0 Celsius) is a piece of cake. I have driven 20 miles over steep mountains in far colder temperatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive