Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 04:52 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times

Advertisements

The only limitation on Trucks or Van EV is the storage. They can be easily set up to beat torque and such specs versus an ICE. Simply a better traction system.

And the storage problem is well on its way to a solution. With the present batteries in the development process it will be possible to out perform the competitive ICE vehicles on virtually all parameters including those important for towing. It will be pretty much standard by 2025.

So some validity to the towing by EV today. None left by 2025.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 01:01 AM

483 posts, read 354,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I believe that during the winter months it gets very cold in the North central US, Minnesota, North Dakota, and Northwest NY. The question was about the use of an EV heater in places where it gets cold. In such places, the heater has to be used to keep the cabin warm, and also to remove moisture from your breath or from snow melting on the floor mats. It means that the heater has to be used all the time while driving.

Lest face it: EVs are probably great in places where it does not get very cold.
FYI half of all new cars sold in Norway are EVs. Norway is a cold country. It's not a big deal.

I sell fuel for a living and I can tell you a lot of diesel and gasoline is also used for heating (and cooling). When it gets cold we sell a lot more fuel because people idle their vehicles a lot more than than comfortable ambient temperatures. Diesel is also a very poor cold weather fuel and clogged filters due to waxation is a massive problem.

Old 02-17-2021, 05:52 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
This is our set up, a Model 3 and a 5.7L V8 Land Cruiser for towing and extended trips.
Nice. When my wife's lease came up, last year, there really wasn't much out there that interested us as far as an EV. I wish Tesla offered a nice lease program. She ended up with an Equinox. Hopefully by the time that is ready for turn in, GM will have some good EV offerings. My truck will be paid off by then, so hopefully we can end up with an EV, a truck, and I can get my Challenger.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:12 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Nice. When my wife's lease came up, last year, there really wasn't much out there that interested us as far as an EV. I wish Tesla offered a nice lease program. She ended up with an Equinox. Hopefully by the time that is ready for turn in, GM will have some good EV offerings. My truck will be paid off by then, so hopefully we can end up with an EV, a truck, and I can get my Challenger.
Tesla does have a lease program and I'm glad they are not offering cheap leases to just anybody. Leasing cars damage car's resale value, look at BMW, M-B, Audis. There's so much glut of off lease German cars out there.

Old 02-17-2021, 09:27 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
We leased the Model 3. It is the first time I have ever leased a car in my life, but I felt like it was a hedge against new technology and competition coming into the space in three years. We are about half way through the term.

Regarding the other poster’s comment on cold weather, I forgot to mention one of my favorite Tesla features during the winter. We plug the car in at night and have it set to be ready to go at 7:30am, when my wife drives the kids to school. The battery and car are warmed up and ready when they get in the car. When the outside temp was -5 this week, she was getting into an 80 degree car. No exhaust means it can warm up in a closed garage. Pretty nice!

Old 02-17-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Tesla does have a lease program and I'm glad they are not offering cheap leases to just anybody. Leasing cars damage car's resale value, look at BMW, M-B, Audis. There's so much glut of off lease German cars out there.
Like I said, a nice lease program. I refuse to put $5k down on what is basically a rental. I could care less about a cars resale value, especially a lease car.

Old 02-17-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
We leased the Model 3. It is the first time I have ever leased a car in my life, but I felt like it was a hedge against new technology and competition coming into the space in three years. We are about half way through the term.

Regarding the other poster’s comment on cold weather, I forgot to mention one of my favorite Tesla features during the winter. We plug the car in at night and have it set to be ready to go at 7:30am, when my wife drives the kids to school. The battery and car are warmed up and ready when they get in the car. When the outside temp was -5 this week, she was getting into an 80 degree car. No exhaust means it can warm up in a closed garage. Pretty nice!
That is awesome. I'm just not putting $5k or more down on a lease.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:54 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
FYI half of all new cars sold in Norway are EVs. Norway is a cold country. It's not a big deal.

I sell fuel for a living and I can tell you a lot of diesel and gasoline is also used for heating (and cooling). When it gets cold we sell a lot more fuel because people idle their vehicles a lot more than than comfortable ambient temperatures. Diesel is also a very poor cold weather fuel and clogged filters due to waxation is a massive problem.
The problems you are referring to don't exist in Northern Canada and Alaska. During the winter, the diesel fuel at the pump is very close to #1 heating fuel. All big rigs at the gold and other mines run on diesel fuel, and so tractor trailers, trains, and ships moving people and things between the continental US and Alaska. There aren't electric aircraft, ships, boats, barges, tractor trailers, backhoes, loaders, dump trucks, cranes, draglines, and so on.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:57 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Like I said, a nice lease program. I refuse to put $5k down on what is basically a rental. I could care less about a cars resale value, especially a lease car.
but the resale value is how you calculate the cost of the lease.

Old 02-17-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
but the resale value is how you calculate the cost of the lease.
Okay , great.
If you can't tell already, I'm not a fan of leasing...my wife is. So, I purchase my vehicle, she leases hers. She picks a payment , with the least amount down, and searches for a vehicle. She's had two Cadillac's and now an Equinox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive