Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 11:53 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
Ain't that the truth? Even after driving my little Fiat 500e, my 360hp Silverado Duarmax feels like slow as if my turbo is out. It's plenty fast, but the lag of a torque convertor just feels so slow in comparison. I borrowed a MB SL63 AMG from a hotel I was staying at while I was in Calistoga, Ca and while the car had plenty of power (>500hp), the car just felt so front-heavy and sluggish. Bottomline is the instant torque of an EV with direct drive cannot be matched compared to the lag of a ICE engine's power band and transmission. Some ICE vehicles might be faster, but the sensation just can't compete.
While I am somewhat used to it - as in no longer being plastered to the seat - I still smile every time I punch it while looking back in the rearview at the rapidly shrinking cars behind me.

Last week some massive truck revved me at a light. He was doing that stupid “jumping” a few inches crap. With 4 people in the car, on Hold until the light changed, I annihilated him. It’s never even close.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 12:01 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
the combination of the two is becoming a common way to build a supercar. there is a corvette int eh works with an 800 hp ICE and an electric motor on each of the four wheels. The electric boosts acceleration and during driving sends bursts of power to various wheels to maintain or break traction as needed. Supposedly the thing will be amazing. Eventually they will have to measure time from 0-100 or quarter miles or half mile. when the drop below one second 0-60, the diffrence between cars will be pretty much meaningless.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:06 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,201,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
The trouble with tires is - the "best" tire for performance is highly dependent on the road conditions. High performance summer tires, with firm rubber compound, with wide width tread, with larger tread blocks and smaller longitudinal and lateral grooves to allow water to escape and to bite into snow - these tires are awesome for a dry summer day; but they're awful when it's raining heavily, or when the temperature really drops, when there is snow and ice - then you're better off with a narrower tire, with softer tread compound, and with larger longitudinal and lateral grooves.
You are correct. A good example is Formula 1 racing on dry pavement versus driving in the rain. If it starts raining all of the sudden, the drivers have no choice but to slow to a crawl until they can make it to the pit lane to replace the tires with "rain tires"?

Old 03-24-2022, 05:59 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Last June I traded in my year old VW Tiguan SEL for the ID.4. I did the trade after a brief but impressive test drive. I hadn't even realized the whole advantages I had in store for me regarding passing. ON a rural 2 lane highway I often would take back from a larger town we do our shopping in a half our away by interstate. Coming back on the 2 lane rural highway I always would end up with some yahoo driving 5 under which made me nuts. The first time I drove the ID.4 and went to pass I was utterly shocked I was past the car in front of me and back in my lane in several seconds. It took one heck of a lot longer in the Tiguan or another previous Nissan Rogue we had. So man am I ever thrilled with the instant torque delivery I now get. It's a 7sec 0-60 time not the 5 or 3 some of the Tesla's and a few others get, but I'm happy as a clam with this advantage. If I'm on the interstate at 80mph I also find if I need to quickly pass someone once again the car is more than willing to deliver the instant speed I ask it for unlike a gas engine model of before. The best part of it all is when I get home I can charge up for penny's on the dollar compared to the absurd gas prices as it burns through each and every gallon. So glad those days are over for me.
So, you like the "burst" from 50mph+?

2 words for you.

Corvette Z06. (Any generation, actually.)

Go ahead. Try it.

Just once...

(Tip: Don't "punch" it. Just "feed" it throttle...)

Old 03-25-2022, 03:46 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,382,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Let's agree to disagree. You feel the acceleration from a stop is important. I don't. We're both arguing opinions and we aren't going to change each other's. Cool?
Not really cool because you keep putting down others by using language like "party trick", "futile", "hype" and "not useful". Yours is an opinion based on no real experience, mine is based on several years of real experiences. I never said your opinion was wrong, yet you did several times about mine - try to respect others instead of using put downs. For most (maybe not you) the acceleration is more than a party trick and is useful.

Old 03-25-2022, 05:04 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,186,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

That’s a side benefit though. The greatest advantage is cost of “fueling” and the ease at which I do so. I’ve used public charging twice in the last 2 months. Both completely free.
Agree, and to the other poster who said to wait as you don't want to be an early adopter....
It's all relative! Bought my first EV in late19. Have about 40k on it. Think spent about $300 on electricity. Charging typically overnight at public stations. My fear is once more popular there will no way be enough of them to fulfill the need.
In most new tech, there is a sweet spot in being early. This is it. Gas is over $4
My car no longer qualifies now for the $7500 tax rebate. So tbh the sweet spot was a few years ago.
The Leaf has poor battery management relying on air ducts to cool the battery. Those will suffer degradation much worse than most.

So other than the first few months of ownership, haven't charged my car at home since 19. My gym has chargers. Shop Rite had them.....

Also have another car if I need to go on a longer trip.

Old 03-25-2022, 06:19 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Going on your descriptions of how the EV accelerates, wouldn’t this make the EV the top choice for track type racing where the driver has to accelerate out of a turn? Are EV components sealed enough to handle a variety of racing landscapes like world rally type racing? Have automakers already been putting their batteries and EV motors in racing for hardcore endurance testing R&D?

Old 03-25-2022, 06:24 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,327,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
So, you like the "burst" from 50mph+?

2 words for you.

Corvette Z06. (Any generation, actually.)

Go ahead. Try it.

Just once...

(Tip: Don't "punch" it. Just "feed" it throttle...)
Sure compare a Corvette to a family crossover as though the Corvette could fill that role. The point is, in case you missed it (since you've apparently never experienced it) an EV delivers it's torque instantly, with no waiting to spool up, Even a Corvette has to wait a bit when you hit the throttle, or spend time shifting down (no matter which transmission).

Here's the basic thing: those of us with EVs have driven plenty of gas powered cars to compare with, while you guys have never driven an EV to compare. Which experience set might be more knowledgeable? I've built and driven performance and race cars for decades. The EV is a daily driver and doesn't have to be quick. But it is. Hitting the throttle to accelerate up to speed for an on ramp, passing people, squirting through traffic, all of it is grin-inducing, as it really has no business being as fun and quick as it is, being just a small family car. To say nothing of the performance variants of EVs, like the Model 3/Model Y dual Motor Performance, or the Mach E GT that are like riding a pneumatically launched roller coaster if you punch it hard. No need to "feed throttle" like your Corvette example.

Old 03-25-2022, 06:39 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,327,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Going on your descriptions of how the EV accelerates, wouldn’t this make the EV the top choice for track type racing where the driver has to accelerate out of a turn? Are EV components sealed enough to handle a variety of racing landscapes like world rally type racing? Have automakers already been putting their batteries and EV motors in racing for hardcore endurance testing R&D?

There have been problems with early EVs and overheating in track environments, but the newer Model 3 with track pack is designed for that sort of use (and you can see videos of them autocrossing and hitting the Nurburgring). Audi just did a PHEV Etron for the Paris/Dakar rally this year. And of course Formula E, where it's gone from swapping cars in the middle of a race due to battery life, to running the full race on one battery and one charge as power and density improvements have happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBjp91zqnn8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXkEEF76OZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHwouDSpJDo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpoXlpaQy4A

Old 03-25-2022, 06:53 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,186,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
There's Hybrid tech in F1 now for some years. Formula E etc....
I'm a car guy. But most tracks don't have many if any charging stations. Plus not fast enough.
Keep in mind when racing a car that might get 22mpg in daily driving in a race it might be 7mpg....
For electric cars the falloff is worse even.
Then there is the gearbox issue. Many electric cars are governored to say 90 mph max.

Lastly there is the emotional side of racing. The sounds, smells. Go to a F1 race and hear those engines, especially when they
we're not muffled by turbos. Oh my.....

I can't get into Formula E yawn....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive