Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will survive
Dodge, electric is the future 8 10.81%
Toyota, were keeping gas around 66 89.19%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2023, 07:36 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure how I feel about that fake sound. It sounds more like a video game. I doubt current Hemi owners will be satisfied with it.

I couldn't care less myself, because people with Chargers and Challengers around here tend to be obnoxious with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2023, 08:23 AM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
No such thing as a Dodge investor. It's owned by Fiat, you might invest in that. Dodge to Fiat is close to worthless. They can take risks with it. They have to take risks with it. It's been slated for being the next Plymouth since they spun the RAM of into its own brand.

To the other point Fiat says they'll make an electric Dodge in 2924. Don't count chickens before they hatch. Toyota made an EV in 2022.

Old 01-31-2023, 09:51 AM

10,829 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
If I was a Dodge investor I would not be happy. They have an extremely popular (although aged) car lineup, of people who love big engines, and big cars. Obviously there will be some curiosity with the niche of electric, but I just don't see their customer base moving over.

Toyota the worlds largest automaker, doesn't see their customers going electric anytime soon and they are not doing converting cars to electric.

Who do you think will succeed, and who will fail?

Im not gonna vote because none of the answers reflect my stance, its like offering me painful torture or really painful torture.

As of yesterdays announcement, toyota is - once again - the worlds largest automaker - 3rd year in a row. meaning they do business in places not run by, well, US democrats. Toyota is a very smartly run japanese company - meaning their responses are well thought out. And given history - far more accurate down the road.

Resource poor japan does not have any of the energy shortfalls that resource rich USA has, so you can assume they have bowls of japanese popcorn broken out (sushi based!) and are watching with detached bemusement.

Should listened to Deming when you had the chance...

Old 01-31-2023, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No such thing as a Dodge investor. It's owned by Fiat, you might invest in that. Dodge to Fiat is close to worthless. They can take risks with it. They have to take risks with it. It's been slated for being the next Plymouth since they spun the RAM of into its own brand.

To the other point Fiat says they'll make an electric Dodge in 2924. Don't count chickens before they hatch. Toyota made an EV in 2022.

'dodge' is 'Fiats' cash cow (i put both in quotes because neither is technically the name) brands like RAM and Jeep sell every unit at list price with no incentives - especially jeep. And the waiting list for anything hell-powered is why the engine that was supposed to 'last year' in 2019 is now 'last year'-ing in 2023. mebbe. we'll see.

its free money for them. sorta like kenmore and craftsman were to sears...(until they sold them)

Old 01-31-2023, 09:59 AM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Toyota vs. Dodge. That is not even a fair fight. lol

Old 01-31-2023, 10:45 AM

6,011 posts, read 2,832,710 times
Electric sports cars will be a flop. What is the point of going fast if it does not have the sound to back it up?

Old 01-31-2023, 10:52 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Electric sports cars will be a flop. What is the point of going fast if it does not have the sound to back it up?
Keep telling yourself that.

My friend’s dad owns a C6, a Challenger, his original 1978 Firebird, a Triumph roadster and a slew of little dirtbikes from the 60’s and 70’s. After one ride in my Tesla he dropped a reservation on a Plaid.

What’s more likely is new sports cars as we know them are goners. Why cram into a tight uncomfortable low-slung coupe when any 4 door family car can destroy them anyway?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-31-2023, 11:06 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

My friend’s dad owns a C6, a Challenger, his original 1978 Firebird, a Triumph roadster and a slew of little dirtbikes from the 60’s and 70’s. After one ride in my Tesla he dropped a reservation on a Plaid.

What’s more likely is new sports cars as we know them are goners. Why cram into a tight uncomfortable low-slung coupe when any 4 door family car can destroy them anyway?
I dunno, not all sports car are about blistering acceleration and carrying people. I MUCH prefer my 2 seat roadster to any fast sedan, even if said sedan is much faster. It's a completely different driving experience and one that I prefer. That being said, I'd love my Bolt's drive train in my Cooper Roadster, even if it removed the 6 speed manual trans. Sound I wouldn't care about as even though it sounds sporty, it's not the most beautiful automotive sound as it is. It's certainly no V12 Ferrari or Aston... But the instant torque and throttle response of it would be fun (my Bolt is 200 hp and 266 lb ft of torque and the MINI is 210hp but only 198 lb ft of torque and you have to wait for it, being a small displacement turbo engine). The small, 2 seat roadster is a much more raw and fun driving experience than a sedan of any sort.

I can't wait for small, relatively light, 2 seat open sports car EVs. Toyota showed one and MINI is supposed to be doing a convertible version of it's next gen EV.

The Toyota:

And I wish MINI would make this:

I don't need outright speed. Just reasonably quick and very agile.

Old 01-31-2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
his original 1978 Firebird,

the only one worth keeping. cuz in no amount of years will the others be capable of fetching a quarter mil for a mildly preserved one. plus, its the coolest.

Old 01-31-2023, 12:09 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Quote:

For most sport car drivers the handling and engine sound it is what really matters, not straight line speed in a family sedan.

Back to subject, Toyota is a proven winner for many years, I would not bet against them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive