Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2023, 11:00 AM

10,482 posts, read 6,999,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow66 View Post
You must be young and REALLY like car.

I am afraid of negotiating used car price and don't know where to fix if any issue. Just want to buy car most people use.
I'm not that young. You just buy the BMW's or Mercedes and at a dealership just like any other car. The benefit of the CPO is that they have a longer warranty than a new car, and usually have great financing specials. They are just hands down much better vehicles, and the warranties are usually better than anything else out there. You're negotiating on a car no matter what, even brand new. On new cars they upsell you on a hundred things, and throw in fee's and you have to negotiate on the price.

I live in NJ, pretty much any German car is more common than any other type of car on the road. Repairs are no different than anywhere else. You get them repaired at the dealership, which IMO the dealers are much better than a Subaru, Toyota dealership. Once the warranty is up, any mechanic will take the car but every town has specialty mechanic for these cars that are at normal prices.

A Prius makes sense as a commuter car, uber driver etc, not as much for a low mileage get a round town car. Subarus are just built on hard plastics and cheap materials, people that buy them primarily live in the mountains and areas of heavy snow because that's what they are good at.

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 04-27-2023 at 11:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2023, 11:04 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
There's a joke that when people move to the Mountain West, they are issued a Subaru and a dog. I came with an East Coast Subaru and four dogs from the East.

I wanted the cheapest car with AWD, cheap to run and runs like iron. Five years in, very happy with the Crosstrek.

Old 04-27-2023, 11:30 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Not a great car overall, but inexpensive and works well for older people - Buick Encore.

My dad tested about 20 different cars a while ago to see which were the easiest to get in and out of for an older person. He chose the Encore. He leased it and then proceed to lease another one every three years. He went through five of them over 15 years. Always liked them a lot. .

Old 04-27-2023, 11:31 AM

12,434 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Parts and labor costs on a BMW/Audi/Mercedes will run a good deal more than on a Honda/Toyota/Subaru. If you've got money to burn, you're not worried about it, but...

Old 04-27-2023, 12:12 PM

3,208 posts, read 1,671,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Why not? They are very nice, they have BMW interiors. I see people of all ages driving them, especially people a lot older than the OP.
Except you're asking the OP who just wants a reliable safe transportation to drive 400HP+ sports car to go get groceries. Even if I wanted the Supra myself, I wouldn't daily drive it. Cost of tires, fuel, and maintenance is a lot more than a Prius. The new Prius is no longer slow.

Old 04-27-2023, 12:41 PM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I'm not that young. You just buy the BMW's or Mercedes and at a dealership just like any other car. The benefit of the CPO is that they have a longer warranty than a new car, and usually have great financing specials. They are just hands down much better vehicles, and the warranties are usually better than anything else out there. You're negotiating on a car no matter what, even brand new. On new cars they upsell you on a hundred things, and throw in fee's and you have to negotiate on the price.

I live in NJ, pretty much any German car is more common than any other type of car on the road. Repairs are no different than anywhere else. You get them repaired at the dealership, which IMO the dealers are much better than a Subaru, Toyota dealership. Once the warranty is up, any mechanic will take the car but every town has specialty mechanic for these cars that are at normal prices.

A Prius makes sense as a commuter car, uber driver etc, not as much for a low mileage get a round town car. Subarus are just built on hard plastics and cheap materials, people that buy them primarily live in the mountains and areas of heavy snow because that's what they are good at.

You need to get out more.

Old 04-27-2023, 12:52 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Yes, asking a 55 yr old woman to buy a Supra for daily driving. Good idea.
Hell, I'm 84 and my Corvette is my daily driver.

Old 04-27-2023, 12:57 PM

23,303 posts, read 18,837,889 times
OP do you really need the capability of an all wheel drive car? If your local area doesn't get snow or a lot of rain maybe not. Yes, Subarus are reliable and safe, but full time All Wheel Drive car is more expensive to maintain (more complex transmission and drive system, fussier about tires, etc), and your mileage will be somewhat lower than a 2 wheel drive. Why pay more, up front and over time, for capabilities you don't need?

Consider what vehicle makes you can get serviced most easily in your area too. You say you plan to keep the car for a long time. That means it will need regular maintenance...somewhat more as it ages. Whether you plan to take it to a dealer or an independent mechanic, a car you have to haul or drive an hour to reach service won't be as convenient easy to manage as the one you can take to a shop at the end of your road.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-27-2023 at 01:05 PM..

Old 04-27-2023, 02:37 PM

12 posts, read 27,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
OP do you really need the capability of an all wheel drive car? If your local area doesn't get snow or a lot of rain maybe not. Yes, Subarus are reliable and safe, but full time All Wheel Drive car is more expensive to maintain (more complex transmission and drive system, fussier about tires, etc), and your mileage will be somewhat lower than a 2 wheel drive. Why pay more, up front and over time, for capabilities you don't need?

Consider what vehicle makes you can get serviced most easily in your area too. You say you plan to keep the car for a long time. That means it will need regular maintenance...somewhat more as it ages. Whether you plan to take it to a dealer or an independent mechanic, a car you have to haul or drive an hour to reach service won't be as convenient easy to manage as the one you can take to a shop at the end of your road.

After thinking about it, I don't need AWD. I live in Philadelphia area. Although there are winter snows, since I work from home, I don't have to go out if the road condition is not good.

I am only 5"2, so a big car is not right for me.

Old 04-27-2023, 02:56 PM

23,303 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow66 View Post

I am only 5"2, so a big car is not right for me.
You really need to start putting your butt into car seats in person. Seat adjustments can only achieve so much. The geometry of the car's cabin and seats plus the visibility over the dashboard and hood for a very short person will vary considerably from make to make, model to model. As for Subarus, while they sit a little higher off the road they have a higher step in height too. Many taller folks love that (I sure do!), but a very short person may not. You may find many features you like in lots of cars to the point it will be bewildering, but if you can't see your surroundings well you won't feel safe driving the car. Regardless what other doodads it has. Regardless what badge it wears. Regardless how much you did or didn't pay for it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-27-2023 at 03:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive