Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 07:26 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow66 View Post
Thanks everyone!!! a lot of new terms and things for me to think about. will not consider Honda since my last two cars are Honda.

First will check Subaru dealership for Crosstrek and Outback....
I believe they are one of the safest cars you could buy, too. My son has one and he loves it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2023, 07:33 AM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You need to get out more.
I travel the entire country weekly for work, and rent cars practically every week so have driven and seen it all. Vermont or the mountains in the west and you will find the Subaru cars because of the awd system. The stereo-type for Subaru drivers outside of the mountains are lesbians, people who have several dogs, and young men who like to vape.

Subaru's esthetics and quality are mid. The boxer engine is mid also, and are known to have engine issues at that 150k mile range. The maintenance on them are not cheap either and you should replace they recommend that you change all 4 tires at once on them.

As for people recommending Kia's and Hyundai's, Kia's engine are complete garbage. They have been recalled, they stopped honoring many of the bad engines. I'm not sure about the brand new models of Kia and Hyundai if they corrected the issue but many insurance companies have stopped insuring them in some major cities (not Philadelphia) because they are 20 times more likely to be stolen because of the ease to steal them. I know Kia's solution to the problem was sending owners "the club" to stop theft.

I'm just saying to the OP if you're spending $35,000 treat yourself and get something just nice. A gently used 1 or 2 year old certified-pre-owned BMW 3-series or Mercedes C-Class is good value for the money.

Old 04-28-2023, 07:43 AM

861 posts, read 865,230 times
Toyota Rav 4 or Highlander. Bulletproof reliable and economical for 15 years; slightly raised for easy access; and adequate stowage space for single person plus stuff.

Old 04-28-2023, 08:03 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
Toyota Rav 4 or Highlander. Bulletproof reliable and economical for 15 years; slightly raised for easy access; and adequate stowage space for single person plus stuff.
We have a 2001 Highlander, as well as a new Rav4. The Highlander is still going strong. The Highlander has gotten a lot bigger than it used to be. Probably overkill for a single person now.

Old 04-28-2023, 08:20 AM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I travel the entire country weekly for work, and rent cars practically every week so have driven and seen it all. Vermont or the mountains in the west and you will find the Subaru cars because of the awd system. The stereo-type for Subaru drivers outside of the mountains are lesbians, people who have several dogs, and young men who like to vape.

Subaru's esthetics and quality are mid. The boxer engine is mid also, and are known to have engine issues at that 150k mile range. The maintenance on them are not cheap either and you should replace they recommend that you change all 4 tires at once on them.

As for people recommending Kia's and Hyundai's, Kia's engine are complete garbage. They have been recalled, they stopped honoring many of the bad engines. I'm not sure about the brand new models of Kia and Hyundai if they corrected the issue but many insurance companies have stopped insuring them in some major cities (not Philadelphia) because they are 20 times more likely to be stolen because of the ease to steal them. I know Kia's solution to the problem was sending owners "the club" to stop theft.

I'm just saying to the OP if you're spending $35,000 treat yourself and get something just nice. A gently used 1 or 2 year old certified-pre-owned BMW 3-series or Mercedes C-Class is good value for the money.
No, those are your stereotypes.

We've actually paid less for Subaru maintenance over the 200,000 miles than for other vehicles we've owned (which include Hondas, Nissans, Chevies and Fords). It certainly wasn't more expensive to tune up than any other 4 cylinder engine we've had and was proportional to the 6 and 8 cylinder ones. The 2021 is too new to make a determination.

The head gasket problem with the Boxer engines was two decades ago.

It's also recommended to replace all four tires on 4WD vehicles at the same time. An issue that can be forestalled by regular tire rotation on any vehicle.

Old 04-28-2023, 08:42 AM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
I'm a 58 yr old female and would not be interested in those two cars. They don't fit my lifestyle at all and even if they did, they are expensive to maintain.

Quote:

We've actually paid less for Subaru maintenance over the 200,000 miles than for other vehicles we've owned (which include Hondas, Nissans, Chevies and Fords). It certainly wasn't more expensive to tune up than any other 4 cylinder engine we've had and was proportional to the 6 and 8 cylinder ones. The 2021 is too new to make a determination.

It's also recommended to replace all four tires on 4WD vehicles at the same time. An issue that can be forestalled by regular tire rotation on any vehicle.
Subaru would be one of the ones on *my* list.

OP I am also short, just 5'2". Definitely sit in the cars you are interested in to see how they work, you may be surprised at their adjustability. I have shorter family members with Outbacks and they love them. My biggest issues with some cars is the seat bottom length. If it's too long, my knee rests on the seat and can't bend to the pedals, which means I slide down the seat to bend the knee, which tweaks my back. So anything with too tall of a seat and too long of a bottom is out for me.

Also I think the OP said she will not consider Honda

Old 04-28-2023, 08:52 AM

1,622 posts, read 1,705,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow66 View Post
I have zero knowledge on car, and need a new car asap.

Plan to retire in a few years, currently working at home. So I only drive locally and in short distance, around 5k miles per year.

Budget is <$35k

Plan to use the new car for next 15 years.

I checked Toyota Pirus. Is it good? Any other better option?

I just bought a Certified 2020 Lexus ES350 for $37K (plus tax). It only had 18,000 miles on it and is in perfect condition. Buying used saved me well over $10K. Shop around.

Old 04-28-2023, 08:53 AM

Quote:

These are not my stereotypes, these are known stereotypes in pop culture. Just typed in "Subaru Stereotypes" and this is what pops up in the first few searches.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...sbians/488042/

https://vapingunderground.com/thread...vaping.445677/

According to the vehicle history reports, newer Subaru's are even more prone to have head gasket issues.
https://www.vehiclehistory.com/artic...-knowing-about

Old 04-28-2023, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I'm a 58 yr old female and would not be interested in those two cars. They don't fit my lifestyle at all and even if they did, they are expensive to maintain.
Obviously you never owned a 3-series or C-Class. I would bet maintenance is less than a Subaru and they are even more reliable. My sister has a C-Class she bought 8 years ago and have 250k miles on it. Look at old cars on the road, you will certainly see more Mercedes and BMW's over Subaru's.

Old 04-28-2023, 09:16 AM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
These are not my stereotypes, these are known stereotypes in pop culture. Just typed in "Subaru Stereotypes" and this is what pops up in the first few searches.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...sbians/488042/

https://vapingunderground.com/thread...vaping.445677/

According to the vehicle history reports, newer Subaru's are even more prone to have head gasket issues.
https://www.vehiclehistory.com/artic...-knowing-about
I'm not the type, nor are most people, to really give a **** about what "pop culture" says. I guess some are just followers.

You didn't even read your own link, those problems were fixed by the 2012 model year, which is exactly what your link says.

You want to put this woman into a used premium vehicle, both makes of which are known to become money pits after about year 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive