Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 05:11 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Parts and labor costs on a BMW/Audi/Mercedes will run a good deal more than on a Honda/Toyota/Subaru. If you've got money to burn, you're not worried about it, but...

Yeah, that was the worst advice I ever heard here on City Data. An older woman wants to buy Under $35,000 and is thinking of a Prius. Okay, so his suggestion to buy BMW or Mercedes (are you kidding)??? Maintenance nightmares and Expensive. Now he had one good point which was a Lexus; but, under $35k I am not sure what is available within a three year age range and you are always taking a risk buying used.

OP - I drove Honda Accords and got sick of Hondas so I bought a Acura TL in 2008. It is 15 years old and going strong. I am down to driving it 5,000 miles per year now and it only has 120,000 miles on it. I follow the maintenance schedule and I believe I will still be driving this car another 5-8 years. I'm 60 and will retire at 66/67 and I will shop for another vehicle around that time. I have Never liked the Subaru. The fit and finish is nowhere near the quality of the Honda / Toyota or Acura / Lexus family. They have issues and I know they have a cult following; but, I think they are one of the ugliest vehicles ever on the market (the metal is flimsy as well).

If you are short (like 5' 4" and under) then only certain cars really fit. So, that is the first consideration. That's part of the reason you may have been buying Honda's and not realizing it. The fit is one of the most important issues besides reliability in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2023, 05:53 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,765,913 times
Toyota fan here.

Old 04-28-2023, 06:01 PM

3,184 posts, read 1,657,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Yeah, that was the worst advice I ever heard here on City Data. An older woman wants to buy Under $35,000 and is thinking of a Prius. Okay, so his suggestion to buy BMW or Mercedes (are you kidding)??? Maintenance nightmares and Expensive. Now he had one good point which was a Lexus; but, under $35k I am not sure what is available within a three year age range and you are always taking a risk buying used.

OP - I drove Honda Accords and got sick of Hondas so I bought a Acura TL in 2008. It is 15 years old and going strong. I am down to driving it 5,000 miles per year now and it only has 120,000 miles on it. I follow the maintenance schedule and I believe I will still be driving this car another 5-8 years. I'm 60 and will retire at 66/67 and I will shop for another vehicle around that time. I have Never liked the Subaru. The fit and finish is nowhere near the quality of the Honda / Toyota or Acura / Lexus family. They have issues and I know they have a cult following; but, I think they are one of the ugliest vehicles ever on the market (the metal is flimsy as well).

If you are short (like 5' 4" and under) then only certain cars really fit. So, that is the first consideration. That's part of the reason you may have been buying Honda's and not realizing it. The fit is one of the most important issues besides reliability in my opinion.
Every once awhile I see a Porsche 911 doing 55mph on the highway I looked over it's lady with white hair driving one gently.

Old 04-28-2023, 06:28 PM

2,036 posts, read 1,601,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Ford Escape - nothing fancy but it's easily maneuverable, gets decent gas mileage, has decent storage space and it's a fairly reliable option.
Second this. They are a bit smaller, but less expensive than a new Edge.

Old 04-28-2023, 08:32 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow66 View Post
I have zero knowledge on car, and need a new car asap.

Plan to retire in a few years, currently working at home. So I only drive locally and in short distance, around 5k miles per year.

Budget is <$35k

Plan to use the new car for next 15 years.

I checked Toyota Pirus. Is it good? Any other better option?
Hyundai Tucson. 10-year warranty.

Old 04-28-2023, 08:53 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
Quote:
want a car larger than the smallest, that's called sub compact?

No need for large capacity.

You mean CROSSOVER?

I have a Nissan Rogue SUV (Crossover). Got it new 14 yra ago. Previous car was Honda Civic Coupe when I was 18.

I LOVE SUVs & would get them for the rest of my life.

I'd consider quite a few of the SUVs for my next car.

Old 04-29-2023, 02:32 AM

12 posts, read 27,483 times
Wow, a lot of very good suggestions that really helped me to narrow down my search

In the last 2 days, I checked Subaru and Toyota dealership. The Subaru cars are a little 'wild' for my taste, probably because I have mostly driven Honda before, I feel more clicked to Toyota.

Currently I am interested in: 1) Toyota Corolla Cross ; 2) Toyota Camry; 3) Toyota Corolla.

There are not few new cars to choose from. The final decision will depend on the availability and color etc.

Old 04-29-2023, 05:09 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,079,726 times
Quote:
Wow, a lot of very good suggestions that really helped me to narrow down my search

In the last 2 days, I checked Subaru and Toyota dealership. The Subaru cars are a little 'wild' for my taste, probably because I have mostly driven Honda before, I feel more clicked to Toyota.

Currently I am interested in: 1) Toyota Corolla Cross ; 2) Toyota Camry; 3) Toyota Corolla.

There are not few new cars to choose from. The final decision will depend on the availability and color etc.
Camry is a full sized sedan, not a subcompact or compact but this becomes obvious on test drives.

Old 04-29-2023, 06:01 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times
Quote:

My wife is 4 feet 10 inches tall. She is long in legs and short in torso. We’ve learned she must do a driver’s seat test before even starting the vehicle. Size of the vehicle doesn’t matter. Some vehicles can accommodate her height regardless of how big or small they are. She gets in, adjust seat and mirrors, and then begins her test. She looks forward to see if she can see over the tall dashboards of today, looks back and in mirrors to see what kind of rear visibility the vehicle has, and the. She reaches for controls like stereo, AC, turn signal, and headlights. She the. Gets in and out to see how her knees and back feel. If all these things check out for her then she will test drive. At this stage, vehicle appearance is secondary to driver safety and comfort.

Oh, the Corolla comes in either sedan or hatchback. Check out both and it’s also available in hybrid.

Old 04-29-2023, 06:18 AM

3,141 posts, read 1,596,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Subaru was running commercials for more than a decade for lesbians. Not there is anything wrong with that, but that's their demographic. Actually there is a company out there making subaru limousines for lesbian weddings.

As for head gaskets they did a redesign, but if you read further people are still reporting issues. Obviously newer cars won't have reported issues until parts begin to wear and tear with age.

I've also owned a 3-series with no issues and it was not a money pit. My mother (in her mid-60s) bought a 2014 BMW 3-series new, and still has it with no issues. If you're spending $35k on a car, get something that's built solid.

As for the OP cars to avoid is anything MOPAR: Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Jeep. Other cars to avoid are Volkswagen, Mini, GM, Nissan as many of the newer models have significant issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
That's ridiculous.

It's geared toward soccer moms...for kids & pets. It focuses esp on dogs with various options to contain them.
We bought a Subaru outback; our auto insurance decreased 20% so getting a car geared to this demographic can be a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive