Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2023, 06:20 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No, those are your stereotypes.

We've actually paid less for Subaru maintenance over the 200,000 miles than for other vehicles we've owned (which include Hondas, Nissans, Chevies and Fords). It certainly wasn't more expensive to tune up than any other 4 cylinder engine we've had and was proportional to the 6 and 8 cylinder ones. The 2021 is too new to make a determination.

The head gasket problem with the Boxer engines was two decades ago.

It's also recommended to replace all four tires on 4WD vehicles at the same time. An issue that can be forestalled by regular tire rotation on any vehicle.
They are good vehicles but they do require a 60K service where the spark plugs need to be replaced. To accomplish this on a boxer engine, since the spark plugs are not on top but rather down lower and on the side of the engine, this service will be more expensive than a Honda or Toyota that won’t need a plug replacement until about 100?

And if you do have a sidewall tire failure, as we once did, or a blowout, you will need to purchase 4 tires, not two. We currently own a Forester, it’s a great car but you need to be aware of what I’ve mentioned as well as knowing the cabin road noise in a Subaru is among the worst when compared to other comparable vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2023, 06:24 AM

1,579 posts, read 947,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow66 View Post
Wow, a lot of very good suggestions that really helped me to narrow down my search

In the last 2 days, I checked Subaru and Toyota dealership. The Subaru cars are a little 'wild' for my taste, probably because I have mostly driven Honda before, I feel more clicked to Toyota.

Currently I am interested in: 1) Toyota Corolla Cross ; 2) Toyota Camry; 3) Toyota Corolla.

There are not few new cars to choose from. The final decision will depend on the availability and color etc.

Ah, I just saw this thread and was going to suggest the Crosstrek too (I am a woman about your age and I love it). I have the 2.5l engine and couldn't be happier with it. I am not sure what's "wild" about it, but I know people like what they like so if it's not your thing, I get it. There is a drawback to a Subaru though, replacing the tires when it's time.

Anyway, I bought my car two years ago and literally did over a year's worth of research before picking one. I watched reviews online, read Consumer reports, etc. I also had the Toyota Corolla on my short list before I settled on Subaru. Test driving was what lead me to my final pick, so I highly suggest test driving at least 2-3 models just to see what you like in person. Even test drive ones you don't think you might want so you have something to compare to.

I suggest watching this video (or others by this Tom Volk... he really does car reviews for the common driver more so than the enthusiast):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouoq-43RwYo (that video is for the 2023 Corolla Cross hybrid).

Just do searches for "Tom Volk" and the car you think you might want to find his reviews. Here is one for the 2022 Corolla Cross (not hybrid) by him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjrlWuD3VSQ

One last thing, if you are buying new, I recommend what I did to haggle. I just emailed every dealership within a reasonable drive with exactly what car I wanted and asked them to give me their best price. Then I went back to the best two prices and let the slightly higher one know about the lowest one's price. When that one came back with a better offer, I went to the lowest one and told them about the better offer... I kept this up until no one would lower the price much more. I saved a lot doing that and I didn't have to deal with talking to dealers in person.

Old 04-29-2023, 06:27 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Yeah, that was the worst advice I ever heard here on City Data. An older woman wants to buy Under $35,000 and is thinking of a Prius. Okay, so his suggestion to buy BMW or Mercedes (are you kidding)??? Maintenance nightmares and Expensive. Now he had one good point which was a Lexus; but, under $35k I am not sure what is available within a three year age range and you are always taking a risk buying used.

OP - I drove Honda Accords and got sick of Hondas so I bought a Acura TL in 2008. It is 15 years old and going strong. I am down to driving it 5,000 miles per year now and it only has 120,000 miles on it. I follow the maintenance schedule and I believe I will still be driving this car another 5-8 years. I'm 60 and will retire at 66/67 and I will shop for another vehicle around that time. I have Never liked the Subaru. The fit and finish is nowhere near the quality of the Honda / Toyota or Acura / Lexus family. They have issues and I know they have a cult following; but, I think they are one of the ugliest vehicles ever on the market (the metal is flimsy as well).

If you are short (like 5' 4" and under) then only certain cars really fit. So, that is the first consideration. That's part of the reason you may have been buying Honda's and not realizing it. The fit is one of the most important issues besides reliability in my opinion.
I totally agree with all of your comments….the German cars are tight, handle well, have a quiet cabin with great fit & finish but the reliability and service cost is among the highest of all vehicles.

The top of the list for reliability and owner satisfaction would be Lexus/Toyota and Acura/Honda, although Acura reliability has slipped somewhat in recent years which would make a Honda be a better current choice, IMHO.

Old 04-29-2023, 07:45 AM

1,489 posts, read 790,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I totally agree with all of your comments….the German cars are tight, handle well, have a quiet cabin with great fit & finish but the reliability and service cost is among the highest of all vehicles.

The top of the list for reliability and owner satisfaction would be Lexus/Toyota and Acura/Honda, although Acura reliability has slipped somewhat in recent years which would make a Honda be a better current choice, IMHO.
I have had 2 MB vehicles and have only done recommended maintenance with zero problems. Great cars!

Old 04-29-2023, 11:11 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Don't forget to check on auto insurance before you buy. Buying one car over another could greatly add to the cost of ownership over the years.

There are lists on the internet. Insurance rates vary by geographic area, so the most inexpensive in one area might be in another area.

I found this at ValuePenguin:

Quote:
Cheapest cars to insure
Rank...Make...Model...EPA size class...Annual premium
1 Ford F-150* Standard pickup truck $1,990
2 Honda CR-V Small SUV $1,999
3 Mazda CX-5 Small SUV $2,092
4 Honda Pilot* Small SUV $2,108
5 Chevrolet Traverse Standard SUV $2,112
6 Volkswagen Tiguan Small SUV $2,126
7 Ford Bronco Sport Small SUV $2,133
https://www.valuepenguin.com/best-an...st-cars-insure

I found this on Forbes (averages for the country, I think):
Quote:
The Least Expensive Cars to Insure
The Honda CR-V, Jeep Wrangler Sport and Subaru Crosstrek are the least expensive cars to insure among popular 2021 vehicle models.

Vehicle.........................................Av erage Annual Premium
Honda CR-V LX..............................$1,574
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport...................$1,585
Subaru Crosstrek...........................$1,606
Subaru Forester 2.5I....................$1,613
Hyundai Tucson SE....................$1,637
Jeep Compass Latitude....................$1,645
Chevrolet Equinox L....................$1,661
Ford Escape S....................$1,663
Volkswagen Tiguan SE....................$1,663
Ford F-150 XL....................$1,672
Chevrolet Trax LS....................$1,680
Toyota Tacoma SR....................$1,688
Toyota RAV4 LE....................$1,704
Kia Sportage EX....................$1,705
Dodge Grand Caravan SE....................$1,713
Ford Edge SE....................$1,722
Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring....................$1,729
Chevrolet Traverse LS....................$1,733
Chevrolet Colorado....................$1,733
Ford Ranger Lariat....................$1,748
Toyota Highlander LE....................$1,757
Nissan Rogue S....................$1,758
Honda Pilot SE....................$1,762
GMC Canyon All Terrain....................$1,777
Subaru Outback 2.4I Limited XT....................$1,789
https://www.forbes.com/advisor/car-i...ars-to-insure/

Old 04-29-2023, 11:24 AM

7,485 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post

I agree about Acura. I could have purchased a RDX through about 2017 (I think the last year you could get a V6). I could not buy my 2008 TL new as they have done something to the front of the car and I cannot see over it. It would cost me $45k to get the V6 that I got for $30k in 2008 in the TL. I cannot go back to a 4 cylinder now and I hear the Turbo crxp is crxp (high maintenance and won't run as long).

I enjoy the enhanced level of service from the service department (Acura versus Honda). It would be hard to go back to less service (though, it won't matter so much once I am retired because I will have more time to deal with it).

I might have to go with a used Lexus or a new Honda if I was purchasing today. Fingers crossed I still have 5-7 years before I need to replace my 2008. But, I need to keep an eye on the EV rules because as far as I am willing to go with that would be Hybrid at this point. I do not see EV's as realistic (yet). I might be forced to buy before I am ready to not be hemmed in by the EV rules.

The only German cars I had were the VW Rabbit GTI and the Jetta. That was the 80's; but, even they were high maintenance. I only heard stories about BMW's and Mercedes in terms of how expensive it is to maintain those vehicles. You either need to lease those or have money to burn. I know they are performance vehicles (and I have nothing against Germany; but, Japan fits my budget).

Old 04-29-2023, 12:16 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow66 View Post
Currently I am interested in: 1) Toyota Corolla Cross ; 2) Toyota Camry; 3) Toyota Corolla.

There are not few new cars to choose from. The final decision will depend on the availability and color etc.
Good choices. Keep in mind that if you want a specific color and trim level, a Toyota dealer will swap one of his cars with another dealer, for the one you want. You will have to pay a few hundred dollars for the transportation costs associated with the swap, but you'll get what you want. (I did this once.)

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 04-29-2023 at 12:55 PM..

Old 04-29-2023, 01:09 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Good choices. Keep in mind that if you want a specific color and trim level, a Toyota dealer will swap one of his cars with another dealer, for the one you want. You will have to pay a few hundred dollars for the transportation costs associated with the swap, but you'll get what you want. (I did this once.)
I don't know whether they've restarted the swapping. With the inventory shortage a couple years ago dealers really didn't like to do it. A couple of them told me that the manufacturer was also tightening up on how they, the dealers, could handle their inventory.

Old 04-29-2023, 03:47 PM

2,114 posts, read 1,320,177 times
I read many posts, but not all yet. Many good pieces of advice here. From me, I'm thinking how about a Toyota Corolla? It's a good car for an average to a small person. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh, just saw a post from volosong to reply to Rainbow66.

Old 04-29-2023, 03:55 PM

7,485 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
I read many posts, but not all yet. Many good pieces of advice here. From me, I'm thinking how about a Toyata Corolla? It's a good car for an average to a small person. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh, just saw a post from volosong to reply to Rainbow66.
I never saw where the OP herself admitted to being short
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive