Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 09:23 AM

10,537 posts, read 7,067,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'm not the type, nor are most people, to really give a **** about what "pop culture" says. I guess some are just followers.

You didn't even read your own link, those problems were fixed by the 2012 model year, which is exactly what your link says.

You want to put this woman into a used premium vehicle, both makes of which are known to become money pits after about year 4.
Subaru was running commercials for more than a decade for lesbians. Not there is anything wrong with that, but that's their demographic. Actually there is a company out there making subaru limousines for lesbian weddings.

As for head gaskets they did a redesign, but if you read further people are still reporting issues. Obviously newer cars won't have reported issues until parts begin to wear and tear with age.

I've also owned a 3-series with no issues and it was not a money pit. My mother (in her mid-60s) bought a 2014 BMW 3-series new, and still has it with no issues. If you're spending $35k on a car, get something that's built solid.

As for the OP cars to avoid is anything MOPAR: Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Jeep. Other cars to avoid are Volkswagen, Mini, GM, Nissan as many of the newer models have significant issues.

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 04-28-2023 at 09:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2023, 09:53 AM

6,602 posts, read 5,004,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Obviously you never owned a 3-series or C-Class. I would bet maintenance is less than a Subaru and they are even more reliable. My sister has a C-Class she bought 8 years ago and have 250k miles on it. Look at old cars on the road, you will certainly see more Mercedes and BMW's over Subaru's.
I don't need to own one, I have friends that do. A few traded in their Mercedes for Audi. My SO has had multiple BMWs. Not my style but good on you for liking them.

I'm in New England, every other car is a Subaru.

Old 04-28-2023, 10:25 AM

32,680 posts, read 48,196,960 times
My son has a Subaru Outback. He's a pretty good mechanic and he thinks the car is a good one to own. I like it because it is set high enough that I can easily get in and I have bad knees and have trouble getting into a really low car or a really high one. The outback has enough cargo space that we can do a full shopping at Costco. Gas mileage is good enough.

It's a good dog car, if you happen to have dogs. Dog carrying capacity is always a big consideration whenever anyone in my family buys a car.

The air conditioning is rather puny, though. It works but it doesn't work as well when the vehicle is stopped. I don't know if that is typical of new cars due to some environmental law or if it is unique to Subaru.

Old 04-28-2023, 12:01 PM

3,808 posts, read 2,338,277 times
Quote:
I've also owned a 3-series with no issues and it was not a money pit. My mother (in her mid-60s) bought a 2014 BMW 3-series new, and still has it with no issues.

Other cars to avoid are Volkswagen, Mini, GM, Nissan as many of the newer models have significant issues.

Interesting you praise BMW and then slam MINI, owned by BMW, and who use BMW engines since 2014 and are actually quite reliable overall. My own MINI is 10 years old and going strong.

Old 04-28-2023, 01:16 PM

1,500 posts, read 805,164 times
Quote:
Obviously you never owned a 3-series or C-Class. I would bet maintenance is less than a Subaru and they are even more reliable. My sister has a C-Class she bought 8 years ago and have 250k miles on it. Look at old cars on the road, you will certainly see more Mercedes and BMW's over Subaru's.
I would agree!

Old 04-28-2023, 03:32 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,609,539 times
Quote:
Subaru was running commercials for more than a decade for lesbians. Not there is anything wrong with that, but that's their demographic. Actually there is a company out there making subaru limousines for lesbian weddings.

As for head gaskets they did a redesign, but if you read further people are still reporting issues. Obviously newer cars won't have reported issues until parts begin to wear and tear with age.

I've also owned a 3-series with no issues and it was not a money pit. My mother (in her mid-60s) bought a 2014 BMW 3-series new, and still has it with no issues. If you're spending $35k on a car, get something that's built solid.

As for the OP cars to avoid is anything MOPAR: Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Jeep. Other cars to avoid are Volkswagen, Mini, GM, Nissan as many of the newer models have significant issues.
That's ridiculous.

It's geared toward soccer moms...for kids & pets. It focuses esp on dogs with various options to contain them.

Old 04-28-2023, 03:35 PM

15,154 posts, read 27,842,757 times
Wow - has this thread gone WAY off topic (as usual)

Old 04-28-2023, 04:05 PM

537 posts, read 451,331 times
This is a new posting, and it's really moving fast.

The new Prius is just coming into the retail market, and they're going to be in very high demand for the upcoming year or so. High demand means high price relatively.

I'm on my second new Toyota Hybrid since 2018, and they're incredibly efficient and troublefree vehicles.

I would suggest you go for a Camry Hybrid LE model. They should be under $30K, and mine got 49.5 mpg. Never saw a shop.

We're driving a $32K Venza AWD Hybrid. It gets 40.5 mpg, and in 55K miles it's never seen a shop. We love it.

Another alternative would be a Corolla Hybrid that looks like a normal Corolla--but gets over 50 mpg.

Old 04-28-2023, 04:19 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,609,539 times
Rainbow:

I'm a retired female and typically keep cars for 10-14 years. Like you, I put less than 5k miles on my car annually. Reliability and good mileage are at the top of my requirements (and cost, of course). Here's what I have learned.

Subaru - The first model Subaru Forester was my favorite car. The redesigned ones are very different, but I still love 'em. BUT I wouldn't recommend getting one. They are pricey to work on, compared to other makes, and aren't great on gas, and will have more issues than some other manfucturer cars.

Honda - You said you don't want a Honda. But I'll tell you I've had a Honda Accord Hatchback many years ago (before they were discontinued, and then continued again), and a Honda Fit Sport since 2011. It's hard to find a more reliable make than Honda. Consumer Reports has consistently rated Honda high on the reliability list for general models of manufacturers, for many years.

Toyota - I don't care for Toyota vehicles, generally. But this is the other highly reliable maker of cars, besides Honda. I test drove the Prius once and liked it a lot, but that was years ago. I didn't buy it, but I seriously considered it. It's a beautiful car and a good size. I just wonder how much the buyer is paying for the battery thing, when you and I don't need that. Still, it's a nice car. Sits kind of low, as I recall.

Although you can find gently used, low mileage versions of Lexus or whatever, I urge you not to buy a luxury brand. Buying it is just the start of the cost of owning it. Maintenance and repairs on luxury cars are at a higher price than other vehicles. Parts have a higher markup, a mechanic told me once. I love the Lexus. It's a reliable vehicle, but most luxury cars aren't as reliable as the boring Honda or Toyota you see on the streets. Reliability is not the major factor luxury car buyers require.

This is just one instance, but my Honda Fit Sport 2011 has never needed a repair, other than battery replacement. My Honda Accord Hatchback that I had years ago also didn't have issues until I had trouble with the a/c after 10 yrs of ownership. Instead of repairing it, I think that's when I chose to get the Subaru Forester? Not sure. The Honda Fit has been discontinued, but I've read it might be made again. It's too small for you, since it's a sub-compact, but the CRV is a larger version and isn't that big and has more clearance underneath for flooded roads or whatever, and still decent mileage.

You might want to consider Toyota models, esp the Toyota Rav. But Toyota has smaller cars you could consider, too.

If you belong to webiste version of Consumer Reports, you can find reliability ratings for various models and years and just generally. If you narrow it down later, I subscribe to Consumer Reports and could look that up for you.

Good luck! I'll be buying a car next year, I think. If there are enough in stock.

Old 04-28-2023, 04:45 PM

7,795 posts, read 6,413,188 times
Subaru are only available with All Wheel Drive, which is good for driving in snow, but is excess baggage if you live in a mild climate.

Consumers rates Toyota very highly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive