Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 08:27 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,269,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Just got thru looking up on a 1931 Model A Ford 5 window Cpe for sale. The pictures show only (ONE) left tail lite on the drivers side. Guess my old memory is not fading after all. Thats what I recall my old 31 Cpe had. Steve

So did the coupes have only one and the sedan's have two???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 09:43 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,933,822 times
Good question on one or two tail lite housings. According to a supplier on CD they had a Left and Right part numbers. Do not know if that is the supplier's number or original Ford number. Lot of stuff on the mkt is Rpro and who knows how much original is out there. Do remember mine as being original when I drove it in 1948...paid $125 for it. Maybe different dealers or states had an option at that time. Then you had the roadster also which could have the cpe parts. I never dealt that far into it all. My dad an expert is no longer around so I cannot ask him. He was a mechanic of 40 yrs and had restored a 26 T cpe from chassis on up. Remember him rebuiding the engine/tranny/coil/ etc and firing up the engine in the frame with no body on top. He had a big smile on his face when it was running. Lot of satisfaction when you build something and it purrs like a kitten (so to speak). I'm that way after building a high performance race engine or stock for that matter. I'm a VW mechanic of 28 yrs and had a legal NHRA VW dragster for the 1/4 mile. A four banger and a lot stronger then the old 31 cpe. Steve

Old 12-05-2008, 01:27 PM

795 posts, read 2,299,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Yep - right in the center of the Trunk lid.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:44 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Model A Fords came Standard with one Tail Light. Some Deluxe Models, in some years had two as standard.... such as the A-400 and 1930 Model A Deluxe Roadster.

By the way, a spare tire was extra on a lot of Model A's. The car came with a spare rim... but the tire, tube and valve stem cost extra.

My 1938 Bantam is a Standard Model... one wiper and one tail light. The Deluxe Models had 2 wipers and two tail lights.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:50 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
I have a 1949 Plymouth Special Deluxe. It was bought new in Buckhannon W.va. It still had the papers in it when I got it. The guy that bought it new must have been pretty well off for the times. It has arm rests on all 4 doors. It has the full horn ring on the steering wheel. The standard steering wheel just had a horn button in the center of the wheel. It has both outside mirrors. It has turn signals. It has full wheel covers instead of what was called the dog dish hubcaps. It has a radio and clock instead of just the delete plates. All of these were options on that car in 1949 unless it had the Deluxe package. It is pretty well decked out for a 1949 model car. It has tail and turn signal lights on each rear fender but the brake light is a single light mounted above the trunk handle. It has a 217 cid L-head engine with a standard 3 speed transmission with the gear shift mounted on the steering column. (three on the tree)
One possible explanation...

My Family sold new Plymouths and it was common following WWII for Dealers to order cars loaded with options... especially Plymouth Dealers.

The rational was there is more profit in it for the Dealer and cars were in Demand after the War Time ban on civilian production.

So, if you didn't want to wait, you would buy the loaded car on the showroom floor which was the most profitable for the Dealer.

If time wasn't an issue, the Dealer could order a car to your specifications... it could take up to 3 months depending on production schedules.

I have a 1950 Plymouth Super Deluxe... I bought it from the original owner. It came with a Radio that he had to buy to drive the car home. He took the radio and antenna out and sold it the first week he had the car.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:29 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,411,503 times
...Because people weren't so fat back then that they could turn around and look to see if anyone was in the other lane?

*crickets*

Hello....is this thing on?

Old 12-05-2008, 10:17 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
This discussion kind of reminds me of the 3rd brake light you see on cars now. I remember when cars were first required to have them and most manufactures ended up installing them in the rear window. My Mom's 1986(!!) Ford Tempo had one and I remember some of us in the family debating its usefulness. I recall having a car with a 3rd brake light stopped in front of us and remarking how bright it was (and irritating) - like it was screaming, "Stop!!" Which was/is the point.... Anyway, because it was up against the window, there was always that spot you could never clean right.

These days, no one debates them and they're usually well integrated into a car's design....

Old 12-06-2008, 05:20 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,290,068 times
I know my 63 Catalina had an aftermarket mirror installed, but wasn't required to have it as new and didn't. Inside only on it. My 61 Catalina bubbletop never has had an outside mirror, and I am not putting one on it either. My 57 Super Chief has a drivers side mirror.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:51 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
I'm guessing the availability of small, powerful, inexpensive electric motors that allow remote adjustment may have something to do with the commonplace right side mirror.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:56 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm guessing the availability of small, powerful, inexpensive electric motors that allow remote adjustment may have something to do with the commonplace right side mirror.
When right side mirrors started becoming standard equipment, they were not remotely adjustable - you rolled down the right window, leaned across the front seat - made an adjustment - sat up and checked it.

Or, you had your passenger adjust it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive