Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 09:57 AM

392 posts, read 1,552,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasTraveler View Post
Getting a bit off topic here but...

That picture explains a lot! Car trunks used to be real trunks! That trunk even has handles. Could you remove the trunk from the vehicle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 10:18 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,264,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Model A Fords came Standard with one Tail Light. Some Deluxe Models, in some years had two as standard.... such as the A-400 and 1930 Model A Deluxe Roadster.

That explains a lot. Thanks. I suppose the ones I've seen have been deluxe or upgraded by the owners or dealers.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:22 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
When right side mirrors started becoming standard equipment, they were not remotely adjustable - you rolled down the right window, leaned across the front seat - made an adjustment - sat up and checked it.

Or, you had your passenger adjust it for you.

I remember leaning out the ight side window to adjust the mirror, several times! WHAT a PITA!

I should have added I believe the availability of relatively inexpensive remote adjustabilty made the right side mirror a much more user-friendly, practical accessory.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:53 PM

795 posts, read 2,298,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreecity View Post
Getting a bit off topic here but...

That picture explains a lot! Car trunks used to be real trunks! That trunk even has handles. Could you remove the trunk from the vehicle?
Yes - it sat on a folding 'rack'. Dads Reo truck had a stop light that had STOP in the lens. I thought the picture was the best way to explain a "trunk". Some cars had no outside mirrors, some had the mirrors mounted on the spare tires that set in finder wells.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:55 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,216,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
I have seen some late 1970s Lincoln's without the passenger side mirror's and some mid 1970's Cadillac's without the passenger side mirror's, you rarely see any Grandville's around and I think they're really nice cars, how good is your Grandville as far as performance goes? It must have the 455 4 barrel motor am I correct?
Yep, the tank has for a 455 4bbl engine. Its a 1973, so its got alot of the emission controls, but it will still get this 4700 lb car down the road quite swiftly.

True, you do not see many of these - Pontiac only used the name from 1971-1975, because before and after that, Bonneville was the top of the line model. The year I have, only around 44,000 were made. This is one of the early 70s cars where you see so many do differently optioned. Mine has power windows, power locks, tilt wheel, A/C, AM radio (yes, even this was optional ), "Custom" interior option, lower door courtesy lights, vinyl top, door edge gaurds, and bumper gaurds. Some options I know it does not have that was available are - automatic climate control, cruise control, power seat, power trunk release, cornering lights, deluxe wheel covers (which I actually added), FM radio, 8-track, to mention a few.

I have seen some of these cars even without A/C, or some with power windows, but manual locks, or manual windows and power locks, some with tilt, but no cruise control, but them some with cruise control and no tilt! Back in the 60s and 70s, you basically ordered whatever single option back then, unlike option packages of today.

This Pontiac is only one of my tanks - as I also have a 1972 Chevrolet Caprice Estate station wagon.... it was the top of the line Chevrolet that year, but only an average optioned car - with the 3rd seat, A/C, tilt wheel, AM radio, deluxe wheel covers, towing package, luggage rack and the 402 BB engine and the passenger side mirror . It lacks power windows, power locks, cruise and power seat. One VERY rare option that these wagons had that I have yet to personally see on another is the brocade cloth interior option. It was only offered in 1972 on the Caprice wagons and I have never seen one with it.

Here is a photo of the beast (the Pontiac)....

Well - about more mirrors - here are more photos I found...
Here is a 72' Chevrolet Caprice sedan without the side mirror:

Here is the stationwagon version of my Pontiac....
1973 Grand Safari with no side mirror

then a mirror...

1972 Grand Safari with no woodgrain, but has the mirror:

1972 Grand Ville - no side mirror:

1972 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser - no mirror

one with a mirror...

Here are a couple of good examples (except they are bruised and battered)- 1971 Cadillac with no side mirror...

and a top of the line 1973 Cadillac Fleetwood with no mirror and this was one of the most expensive cars you could buy in 1973...

Then here is a lower priced DeVille with the mirror...

Old 12-07-2008, 12:27 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,286,173 times
Here is a couple of my 61 Catalina 2 dr sedan. No out side mirror.
Attached Thumbnails
Why did they make cars with only one side mirror back in the old days?-61-2dr-sedan-1st-one.jpg   Why did they make cars with only one side mirror back in the old days?-61-front-interior.jpg  

Old 12-07-2008, 06:56 PM

807 posts, read 2,514,847 times
My '64 C10 truck had no rear mirror and only one side mirror and no seat belts of course. It's all metal and the gas tank is right behind you in the cab. I installed mirrors on both sides of the truck,but elsewise it's still the same as it came from the factory. It has no power brakes,steering,or A/C.

I have upgraded the engine,transmission,wheels and tires,and brakes.

I wish cars were still simple.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:30 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenKarber View Post
My '64 C10 truck had no rear mirror and only one side mirror and no seat belts of course. It's all metal and the gas tank is right behind you in the cab. I installed mirrors on both sides of the truck,but elsewise it's still the same as it came from the factory. It has no power brakes,steering,or A/C.

I have upgraded the engine,transmission,wheels and tires,and brakes.

I wish cars were still simple.
That's why it will run forever!!!

Old 12-09-2008, 09:28 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Haven't you ever seen the old movies? The driver turned his head around and looked directly out the back window to see who is following him.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:35 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,487,651 times
I have a 64 Fairlane wagon, and it has mirrors on both sides. But, I don't know if they were original.

Speaking of things that we take for granted that weren't always standard... my car doesn't have back-up lights. They were an available option--most of the tail lights I see on ebay have the back-up light in the center.

Oh, and the dash is not padded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive