Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 01:40 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,797,478 times

Advertisements

I have made up my mind. Thanks guys for the input. The challenger won simply for the look. I will probably trade it for the camaro when all is said and done. I just love the look and feel of this car. The GTO did not impress me visually. I don't have anything bad to say about the mechanical or handling. Just didn't grab me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 03:05 PM

29,444 posts, read 14,628,378 times
good choice... just think how much a 70's challenger is worth right now. If you plan on keeping it a long time it will be worth something.

Also I was really hyped about the new camaro until I saw one on the road last weekend. For some reason the proportions just didn't look right. It was just a brief glimpse so maybe once I get a good look at it I might change my mind.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:16 PM

I am leaning mopar for the long run. This vehicle is begging to mod out. I ran into a budy that has one. He is a mopar nut, so I called to get his opinion. He came out to the house in a black srt8 black leather interior, lower geared rear end from the factory, nav, premium sound, headers, high flow cats, 4 inch pipe through 4 flow masters, two on each bank. Forced induction fed off a functional hood scoop mod. We are both big men. He brought the front end off the ground dumping the clutch from 1st to 2nd. The damn thing is hot. It has not been dynoed yet so I cant tell you the increases. The computer has to run for so many cycles to adj the timing. I will come bak with the pics of the graphs if anyone is interested.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:44 PM

29,444 posts, read 14,628,378 times
I'd like to see the picks of the "front end off the ground"....

Old 03-10-2009, 07:50 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,169,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I'd like to see the picks of the "front end off the ground"....
+1. the suspension is probably soft and therefore squats like crazy on the launch, but i doubt it's actually pulling the front end of a 2-ton car.

Mike

Old 03-11-2009, 06:28 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,426,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheaded View Post
I also found myself never able to put the G to the limits I would hit 125 coming out of 3rd and be at 145 mid 4th having to shut it down running out of highway. The cornering was hot but the car was made for high rpm. So I never really got do more than highway moving. Low end torque was not there. Plus not too many places where you can be at 145 too long before you run out of road or into a cop.
That's just idiotic. If you want to run your car, take it to track. Going 145 on a public highway is an obvious display of more gas pedal than brain power. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheaded View Post
He brought the front end off the ground dumping the clutch from 1st to 2nd.
Sure he did.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:55 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,693 times
I noticed that too (125 out of third and 145 in "mid 4th") and just chalked it up to internet embelishment. Few drive that fast on public roads.

Anyway, he'd would have to be regeared and off the stock ECU to do that. Probably was.

I hope he got money back for all those mods, but insurance companies don't normally help much with go-fast parts.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:48 PM

It was the stock ECU but flashed by I think his name was tagadashi in cali. Tranny was 6 speed out of a skyline. As far as raising the front end on the challenger to assume the suspension is stock and left soft when putting the money into the car he has is silly. I have no need to feel like a web hero. So next you same guys will say oh the photo was photoshoped. It is ok though we don't have to agree on everything.

There are a few highways near me that are extremely vacant at early hours of the morning. I would not advocate driving at these speeds in traffic. I have been driving fast cars nearly my entire driving years. Most have been muscle style cars. Strait haul drag type no handling. I bought the G to see how the other half lived. I have to say it is not practicle due to the lack of torque low end on the rpm scale. The car needed to be shifted into a gear that would put rpms to 4200 approximately to hit the power curve and get moving out of a turn. It is not a track car due to this. I drove it on the road course built by the owner of Grubbs Infiniti in Granbury Texas on 377. Moded out I handled the track slightly faster than stock G37's. On an oval I am sure it would have been a different result.

BTW stock G37 ECU drops rpm and shuts you down at 155 with the 5 speed auto in manual mode.

I got shafted hard on the mods. Only able to liquidate, turbos, headers, hiflo cats, intake riser/plunem, had the stock parts to give back. Lost 14k on raw value and roughly 7k on mods after selling what I could.

The track is in Granbury the the dealership is in HEB off state hwy 183.
Just thought I would clear that up before the nay sayers go to trying to point out inconsistencies.

Last edited by Boneheaded; 03-12-2009 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: To clear up where the track is and the dealership.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:51 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,826,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
good choice... just think how much a 70's challenger is worth right now. If you plan on keeping it a long time it will be worth something.

Also I was really hyped about the new camaro until I saw one on the road last weekend. For some reason the proportions just didn't look right. It was just a brief glimpse so maybe once I get a good look at it I might change my mind.
I do love the new Mustang's and Challenger's. I haven't seen the new Camaro in person yet, but I am with you on the photo's I have seen, the proportions don't look quite right. I've got a 69 Camaro Z28 and a 69 Corvette L46 Stingray. Would love a 67 Mustang. Nothing like the throaty sound of a muscle car, ahhh.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:25 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,872,134 times
drive an New GT Mustang. It is way lighter then the Challenger and way more fun to drive... Get a convertible to. It will be an unforgettable car in the summer. My friend has a new Challenger srt and its nice but I like my Gt way better. Lot cheaper too. You can buy a convertible Mustang for a Challenger hardtop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive