Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 01:30 PM

105 posts, read 221,873 times

Advertisements

Pontiac G8 GTP
Nissan 370Z

GL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 08:32 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,262,120 times
bagelw: You are absolutely correct, I stand corrected. The times have changed. I personally don't know what I'm looking at under the hood of modern cars. It was easier back in the 60's to be a kid.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:14 PM

529 posts, read 1,651,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
bagelw: You are absolutely correct, I stand corrected. The times have changed. I personally don't know what I'm looking at under the hood of modern cars. It was easier back in the 60's to be a kid.
I understand where you're coming from. The majority of kids today do things to their cars because it's trendy not because they find interest in it. They aren't true petrolheads.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:32 PM

Back in the 60's, the girls went for the guy who could repair and/or rebuild a 283/327 Chevy and provide handsome transportation (or a similar ride, no offense intended to Ford or MoPar fans, of which I am both). Nowadays (sp?) it seems the kids don't have the same involvement with their rides. I understand that you need a computer to even do basic checks on modern vehicles, but feel its a shame the kids don't have the ability to build their rides like I use to. The 60's were a great time to be a petrolhead My continued apologies to the OP for diverting his/her thread

Old 03-29-2009, 08:58 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,026,691 times
only thing i'd put out there is that there are "kids" these days that do get into their rides with the same passion we did decades ago. I know plenty who do their own work, fabricate their own pieces, and over time spend their hard earned cash just like we did. Sure i've seen those who have the silver spoon sticking outta their mouths and just write checks to own a toy, but i wouldn't lump all the tuners in one group. The ones who build and mod a car are the ones who take pride in it. Again just like some of us did.
Whether basic items like intake and exhaust, to more extreme projects like motor swaps: they have similar processes to what we did. In some cases, i'd even say it was easier for us back in the day. Big engine bays, NO computer or smog needs, etc...
I'd actually hate to work on something now-adays; I did a motor swap in my Camaro with some basic tools, a winch, and a big tree; just dont see that happening anymore.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:53 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,886,219 times
I agree. I know some young guys who are quite talented when it comes to cars... And do their own work just like the ol days..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
only thing i'd put out there is that there are "kids" these days that do get into their rides with the same passion we did decades ago. I know plenty who do their own work, fabricate their own pieces, and over time spend their hard earned cash just like we did. Sure i've seen those who have the silver spoon sticking outta their mouths and just write checks to own a toy, but i wouldn't lump all the tuners in one group. The ones who build and mod a car are the ones who take pride in it. Again just like some of us did.
Whether basic items like intake and exhaust, to more extreme projects like motor swaps: they have similar processes to what we did. In some cases, i'd even say it was easier for us back in the day. Big engine bays, NO computer or smog needs, etc...
I'd actually hate to work on something now-adays; I did a motor swap in my Camaro with some basic tools, a winch, and a big tree; just dont see that happening anymore.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:43 PM

529 posts, read 1,651,647 times
I agree totally which is why I said "majority". What I'm trying to say is that today there are the people that I consider the "Fast and Furious" crowd. They were never really into cars until it became popular and fashionable. They put minor modifications on their cars such as exhaust, stickers, lights and air intakes. They really aren't passionate about the work they put in or the total driving experience. It's more of a "be seen" type of attitude.

Then you have the people that really get into the internals of a car and figure out ways to squeeze every bit of power and performance they can so that they can feel the difference and have that sense of accomplishment. These people know the ins and outs of their car and most other cars and are usually full of senseless knowledge such as an engine code for a 81 Brat. Those are who I consider true petrolheads.

It was probably the same in the 60s but since it was easier to do your on work it may not have been as obvious. Sorry that this has gotten so off topic. I'll shut up now.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:27 PM

ranger17: You are dead on correct, it was a lot easier back in the 60's for a motorhead. I feel sorry for today's young people that things have gotten so much more complex and expensive.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:52 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,791,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheaded View Post
I really was in love with my G. But damn I took a hell of a hit and felt way too much of it. When I asked around the RX8 R3 was said to handle equal to my G. The mustang GT is said to be better balanced between handling and strait haul. My first vehicle was a drag chevy truck. I do love the camaro but don't want to wait. I also found myself never able to put the G to the limits I would hit 125 coming out of 3rd and be at 145 mid 4th having to shut it down running out of highway. The cornering was hot but the car was made for high rpm. So I never really got do more than highway moving. Low end torque was not there. Plus not too many places where you can be at 145 too long before you run out of road or into a cop. The Challenger SRT8 with few after market mods is a great looking body shackin retro monster. I love the look. I think I have settled on it. They did alot with the 50/50 weight distrbution. I took one through three gear in an 1/8th mile and stock it is a bit sluggish.(4300lbs) The cornering is fine if you can control a 4 wheel powerslide. You young bucks may not like breaking them loose to do a controlled slide through a turn. Dirt Track Fans will love this car. The factory 20" rims and modern curves make it a head turner for all ages. My oldest son loved the G and is now saying GO RETRO! I will probably put a forced induction on it to cut some of that lag. Foresure sway bars front and rear! flatten this monster out with a stiff spring set and I bet you have a new contender on the drift circuit. Plenty of room for tons of HP, a slight understeer. I am in love.
Just curious as a long time muscle car and Corvette fan... how does one initiate a 4 wheel power slide?

Old 04-02-2009, 11:57 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,791,657 times
Since OP seems to like Mopar, why not just go straight away for the Viper and be done with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive