Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 02:12 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
When I google "european rear fog lights", they seem to all come up red. Either way, you can't have any other white lights on the back that arn't your reverse lights, and they have to be off while in forward motion. (save for downward facing lic. plate lamps, of course)
European fog lights are red, and when lit looks like one brake light is on. It makes you think the guy in the car is riding the brakes, but has a brake light out. I drove behind one of those last night in Maryland. I think it was a Mercedes or a BMW. Those are not illegal. If there is another type of fog light on the rear, I have never seen them. Of course, I never tailgated Drover so that must be why I haven't seen them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 02:22 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
European fog lights are red, and when lit looks like one brake light is on. It makes you think the guy in the car is riding the brakes, but has a brake light out. I drove behind one of those last night in Maryland. I think it was a Mercedes or a BMW. Those are not illegal. If there is another type of fog light on the rear, I have never seen them. Of course, I never tailgated Drover so that must be why I haven't seen them.
They were red just like on any other rear-foglight-equipped car.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
They were red just like on any other rear-foglight-equipped car.
You're confused? I'm confused by what you just said above. Can you make your point a little more clear? Are you saying fog lights on the rear of cars are always red? That's what I thought, but some posters in this thread seem to think they are white, or some other color. I was just pointing out that EUROPEAN fogs are red as the poster I was responding to seemed unsure.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
You're confused? I'm confused by what you just said above. Can you make your point a little more clear? Are you saying fog lights on the rear of cars are always red? That's what I thought, but some posters in this thread seem to think they are white, or some other color. I was just pointing out that EUROPEAN fogs are red as the poster I was responding to seemed unsure.
Yes, rear fog lights are always red -- never seen it otherwise. And it's almost always European cars that come equipped with them because they are required equipment in Europe (and required to be red). Oldsmobile put them on the Alero and/or Aurora for the last couple of years, but other than that I can't think of any non-European car that had/has them off the top of my head

Old 11-05-2012, 11:50 AM

152 posts, read 583,814 times
Narrow thinking.
They are stock only.

What if someone retro fits a set of "fog lamps" to the rear of the vehicle.
When you go to the store you don't see red fog lights on the shelf do ya?
I see people with yellow and clear "fog lights" on the back bumper or on the headache rack.

The scope of use extends beyond some eruo cars.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3700 View Post
Narrow thinking.
They are stock only.

What if someone retro fits a set of "fog lamps" to the rear of the vehicle.
When you go to the store you don't see red fog lights on the shelf do ya?
I see people with yellow and clear "fog lights" on the back bumper or on the headache rack.

The scope of use extends beyond some eruo cars.
Of course I was speaking of stock equipment. Anyone can "retro-fit" (or just "fit" in this case) their car with anything; I'm not going to qualify every statement I make about automotive equipment to accommodate the fact that anyone can conceivably do anything to their car because I presume we're all smart enough already to build this contingency into our assumptions (present company excluded, apparently).

You don't see red fog lights on the shelves because they're standard white bulbs that use the red tail light assembly to show up as red, save for the new generation of LED tail lamp clusters.

I allowed for the possibility that "the scope of use extends beyond some eruo [sic] cars" by acknowledging that I could only think of one other example off the top of my head. Please feel free to offer other examples.

Whose sock puppet are you anyway?

Old 11-06-2012, 12:19 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,852,685 times
Sorry if my fog lights are bothering. I don't get any flashes from the other direction so they must not be blinding. Where I live in the rural part of eastern MD we have lots of deer. LOTS of deer and right now is the rut so a bunch of horny bucks aren't paying any attention to anything but the ladies. The standard bumper mounted fogs on my ram aim low and wide. The side view is very important IMO with all the deer. It lets me see in a glance the reflection of their eyes so I know if I should be prepared. They will also reflect a good bit ahead to the side which my regular high or low beams won't. It doesn't take much to illuminate a deer's eyes so I have a warning. Needless to say, my fogs are always on at night.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Sorry if my fog lights are bothering. I don't get any flashes from the other direction so they must not be blinding. Where I live in the rural part of eastern MD we have lots of deer. LOTS of deer and right now is the rut so a bunch of horny bucks aren't paying any attention to anything but the ladies. The standard bumper mounted fogs on my ram aim low and wide. The side view is very important IMO with all the deer. It lets me see in a glance the reflection of their eyes so I know if I should be prepared. They will also reflect a good bit ahead to the side which my regular high or low beams won't. It doesn't take much to illuminate a deer's eyes so I have a warning. Needless to say, my fogs are always on at night.
Over in the MD forum there's a thread about the cops ticketing those who flash their lights. Maybe that's why you don't get flashed? Just a thought.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:36 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Quote:
Over in the MD forum there's a thread about the cops ticketing those who flash their lights. Maybe that's why you don't get flashed? Just a thought.

That's talking about flashing to warn other drivers about speed traps, not flashing because their high beams are on

Old 11-06-2012, 10:10 AM

1,626 posts, read 4,015,084 times
Fog lamps on when there's no fog is annoying since they usually glare a lot worse than the headlights. I find it's mostly older cars with weaker headlights that use them around here. It's not as annoying as HID kits retrofitted into halogen headlight assemblies though. The worst is when they put HID kits into lifted up SUV's so the beam pattern is incredibly blinding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive