Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 02:11 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
All that's necessary of you is that you park and fetch the cars.
I knew someone would say that. Oh well. I'm doing everyone a favor. Not like it's hurting anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 04:36 PM

122 posts, read 372,660 times
Default yellow fog lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
hmm I never knew yellow was better
Vehicles in France and England used to be equipped with yellow head lights as standard equipment. Their weather often had fog, so all of their cars and trucks had yellow head lights as standard specifications. Back in the day, if you registered your car in France or England, you had to convert or retro-fit your car to yellow head lights. The yellow really did make a difference. The white did/does reflect back more than yellow.
True "fog" lights are yellow.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:58 PM

57 posts, read 168,077 times
Of course I drive with my moonroof open in the rain, just because I paid for it. After all, I'm not the one that gets wet - just the passengers behind me.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:28 PM

773 posts, read 2,631,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksa09 View Post
Vehicles in France and England used to be equipped with yellow head lights as standard equipment.
France was the last European country to drop yellow in the early 1990's.

Quote:
Their weather often had fog, so all of their cars and trucks had yellow head lights as standard specifications.
I don't think front fogs are required anymore in Europe. They are essentially worthless anyway. But a very bright single red rear foglight is required on all cars in Europe. It must be turned off when not driving in fog.

Quote:
Back in the day, if you registered your car in France or England, you had to convert or retro-fit your car to yellow head lights. The yellow really did make a difference. The white did/does reflect back more than yellow. True "fog" lights are yellow.
The wavelengths of yellow and blue/white do not differ enough to have an effect on reflectivity from fog droplets, if that is what you are thinking. Yellow helped a little against large snowflakes, but not much in fog.

In Germany it is illegal to use front fogs if visibllity is greater than 50 meters. And it must be fog; you can't use them in rain only. The German police enforce this rule. In England the visibility must be less than 100 meters to legally use front fogs. Same as Australia. The fine for first offense is about $75-$100.

Only in the U.S. with its "up yours" attitude do drivers run their font fogs day and night and to hell with oncoming traffic.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:47 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
I'm afraid another part of the reason folks have their foglights on is fashion.

Didn't you know it's "sporty" to have your fogs on ?
All the old guys out there are trying to show the young pups that they can still cut it, and their fogs mean you better look out, their sports car will blow you away.

It's a fashion statement.
You may think you look cool with them on, but most of the other drivers have a different opinion.
Guess what everyone, this is the correct answer. Just ask any kid that has them on their cars. They first change the light bulbs and then change the direction they point to.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
France was the last European country to drop yellow in the early 1990's.

I don't think front fogs are required anymore in Europe. They are essentially worthless anyway. But a very bright single red rear foglight is required on all cars in Europe. It must be turned off when not driving in fog.

The wavelengths of yellow and blue/white do not differ enough to have an effect on reflectivity from fog droplets, if that is what you are thinking. Yellow helped a little against large snowflakes, but not much in fog.

In Germany it is illegal to use front fogs if visibllity is greater than 50 meters. And it must be fog; you can't use them in rain only. The German police enforce this rule. In England the visibility must be less than 100 meters to legally use front fogs. Same as Australia. The fine for first offense is about $75-$100.

Only in the U.S. with its "up yours" attitude do drivers run their font fogs day and night and to hell with oncoming traffic.
Thanks for the update. It has been a long while since I was in Europe.
I still think in my "old school" way that the "yellows" are "true" fog lights. The rear single fogs were just starting when I was there.
All the white, and blue/white are just additional/helpful lighting.
Only a nusiance if the wattage/brightness and the aim of the beam is to draw attention to themselves or blind oncoming driveres.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:01 AM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,399 times
I drive around with my fog lights on all the time

Maybe if some of you would buy a vehicle that was more than 2inches off the ground, my lights wouldn't default high-beam in your face!

Old 01-24-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
I drive around with my fog lights on all the time

Maybe if some of you would buy a vehicle that was more than 2inches off the ground, my lights wouldn't default high-beam in your face!
?????
My Tundra is more that 2 inches off the ground.
What is your comment about "default to high-beam in your face"
If another driver is coming at me with high beams, I click mine on, until they click theirs down.
This has nothing to do with "fog lights".

Old 01-25-2010, 02:00 PM

770 posts, read 2,754,042 times
Quote:
Vehicles in France and England used to be equipped with yellow head lights as standard equipment. Their weather often had fog, so all of their cars and trucks had yellow head lights as standard specifications. Back in the day, if you registered your car in France or England, you had to convert or retro-fit your car to yellow head lights. The yellow really did make a difference. The white did/does reflect back more than yellow.
True "fog" lights are yellow.
I lived in England for 50 years and yellow head lamps have never been standard . Extra fitted fog lamps could be fitted that were yellow and you could buy yellow lens covers if you were travelling to France but not in England

Old 01-25-2010, 02:06 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,703,450 times
I can only imagine I've posted in this thread before, but as an fyi, with new HID and projector headlights, fog lights are not necessary like they used to be because the new headlights have sharp light pattern cutoffs. At least that is what was explained to me, and it makes sense considering what fog lights were intended to do.

Lots of people mistake fog lights for driving lights.

Nowadays, European cars also have rear foglights, and what really bugs me are the people that drive with those on, because they are as bright as brake lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive