Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 07:30 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times

Advertisements

I've never flown on an international carrier, but I've heard that most of the major ones are subsidized to one extent or another by their governments. As one book I read put it, "It takes nothing away from the managements of these companies to say that they are able to provide their lavish service thanks to government support."

If you're not constantly counting pennies to fend off the competition and remain in business, it's easier to provide the nice little perks. Granted, though, I find that to not be an excuse for poor customer-service attitudes.

And it's not that there aren't some good U.S. carriers as well. I've had plenty of good experiences on Southwest, Hawaiian, and Alaska. Years ago, Delta was the cream of the crop. I don't know what happened to them, but I avoid them like the plague now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 07:38 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Simple. People are willing to pay for ****ty. Why is Motel 6 in business when people can stay at the Ritz-Carlton? Why is McDonald's in business when people can eat at Ruth's Steak House?
What else are we supposed to do? People have to fly for business, and most of us can't afford to go overseas for vacations or charter private planes. I hear this repeatedly, but it's not like grocery stores or other stores, where we have a feasible alternative. When all the domestic airlines have the same service and policies, we can't avoid them.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:49 AM

27,578 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I never understood why the US doesn't have a couple of airlines in the top ten best airlines ranking. I mean the US is a superpower, pioneer in aviation and yet we have AA, Delta, United etc etc all crap airlines by developed countries standards. KLM, Air France, British Airways, Lufthansa, SAS etc etc are all better airlines than what we have in the US. Why is that?
I think Americans fly a lot more than people in other countries? Maybe that's part of the reason for the middling standards. Things get worn down by use and it's more difficult to serve so many more passengers. It's the same reason that American roads tend to be in a little worse shape than roads in other developed countries.

Also, you're comparing domestic to international, which isn't the same.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:26 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,382,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think Americans fly a lot more than people in other countries? Maybe that's part of the reason for the middling standards. Things get worn down by use and it's more difficult to serve so many more passengers. It's the same reason that American roads tend to be in a little worse shape than roads in other developed countries.

Also, you're comparing domestic to international, which isn't the same.
I am comparing both domestic and international. I reside in Brazil now and fly Tam both domestic and Internationally and it is better than AA for example. And the thing about " Americans fly a lot" doesn't cut it for me, there plenty of country with busy airspace. Sao Paulo to Rio for example is the 6th busiest air route, and despite that the aircraft are pretty well kept and the service is above average
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ger_air_routes

Old 01-17-2017, 08:49 AM

27,578 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I am comparing both domestic and international. I reside in Brazil now and fly Tam both domestic and Internationally and it is better than AA for example. And the thing about " Americans fly a lot" doesn't cut it for me, there plenty of country with busy airspace. Sao Paulo to Rio for example is the 6th busiest air route, and despite that the aircraft are pretty well kept and the service is above average
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ger_air_routes
I am talking about countries with the highest number of airline passengers:

Countries With The Highest Number Of Airline Passengers - WorldAtlas.com

According to this,

U.S. = 798 million

China = 436 million

U.K. = 131 million

Germany = 116 million

Japan = 114 million

Brazil = 102 million

I'd expect it to be more difficult to maintain a system with nearly 800 million passengers compared to 100 million passengers.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:51 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,143,235 times
Most people didnt really start complaining until most carries decided to squeeze in an extra row in the last 4-7yrs.

You had planes like a 737 or md80 that would hold about 140-150 people at a 32-33" pitch that was bearable and then the airlines decided to add another row, so now you make 15-25 rows of the plane almost unbearable by putting the seat pitch to 30-31" just to squeeze in that extra row. So while the airlines can make money off that extra row, they pretty much said to hell with everyone else, so they can squeeze in that row.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:33 AM

628 posts, read 819,585 times
Probably because most Americans usually fly domestic and value low prices over experience. Also the airlines run on thin margins, and it's difficult to offer many amenities. That being said, the last couple times I was on American and Delta, I thought it was pretty good. The planes were either new A321 or bigger, decent amount of legroom and seat-room for economy, and had all new interiors with entertainment screens.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:19 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I am talking about countries with the highest number of airline passengers:

Countries With The Highest Number Of Airline Passengers - WorldAtlas.com

According to this,

U.S. = 798 million

China = 436 million

U.K. = 131 million

Germany = 116 million

Japan = 114 million

Brazil = 102 million

I'd expect it to be more difficult to maintain a system with nearly 800 million passengers compared to 100 million passengers.
There is no correlation between the overall number of passengers and the difficulty to maintain the system. More passengers normally means higher load factors and that means higher profitability. And a more profitable airline could offer better services.
Most Americans are satisfied with substandard levels. Why should airlines offer better services when passengers aren't willing to pay for it?
It's the same with almost everything in the U.S. Clothing, appliances, parking lots, water parks, driveways, windows, school buses. Just to name a few. People don't know better. Most people will never experience how things look and work outside the U.S.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:15 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Deregulation happened making it so anyone could afford to fly. In many countries, the airlines are heavily funded by the government. Here many airports are subsidized by the county, city, or state. It is what is. Airlines are interested in making a profit to keep their investors happy. They're basically city buses with wings.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:23 AM

306 posts, read 336,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Alaska Airlines is certainly no slouch when it comes to service and reliability. Easily my favorite airline.
I like seeing this. I've never flown them before, but I'm flying back home with them on Saturday. I've heard they are better than others, I guess I'll find out myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation