Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 09:45 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,382,804 times

Advertisements

I never understood why the US doesn't have a couple of airlines in the top ten best airlines ranking. I mean the US is a superpower, pioneer in aviation and yet we have AA, Delta, United etc etc all crap airlines by developed countries standards. KLM, Air France, British Airways, Lufthansa, SAS etc etc are all better airlines than what we have in the US. Why is that?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-09-2017 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: Edited thread title for clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 10:04 AM

1,110 posts, read 897,107 times
I am a US citizen, but I avoid flying on US carriers whenever possible. The US is very profit oriented rather than customer or service oriented across the spectrum (health care, education, etc). US carriers cut corners and service whenever possible to provide low cost fares to the public. Lower cost airlines that provide service (such as Independence Air of blessed memory) are driven out of business by the major airlines. Keep in mind that it was not always this way; at one time Delta was superb, as were some of the others. It (the decline in service for cost's sake) all started with People's Express, and the other US carriers followed suit.

As long as the flying public puts up with it, the carriers will continue the figurative flogging of passengers. When the public votes with their feet, then US carriers will adapt accordingly.

Of course, we are not talking about first/business class travel. I am sure that they are treated well enough.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:06 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,334,118 times
Harsh price competition that can only be won by a race to the bottom in terms of service and quality.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:13 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
I am not sure what they base airline rankings on. I usually fly with foreign carriers, but have flown often enough with US ones. I do not find a significant difference between the two.

The lack of the entertainment system irritates me, but I have not ran across a trans-Atlantic flight without one for a long time.

But I never fly state to state, just back and forth to Europe from the US, and pick up a connection there.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:16 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,582,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Harsh price competition that can only be won by a race to the bottom in terms of service and quality.
Pretty much this.

Most foreign carriers have a percentage of their routes with little or no competition. All those ME carriers get cheap fuel along with huge (largely free) capital funding for airports and new planes.

If it wasn't for all the US airlines you would pay more for all airline travel wherever you go.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:17 AM

142 posts, read 103,668 times
Delta is horrible.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:24 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,334,118 times
I still think Delta is the best among the big 3 though. At least with some status and when flying intercontinental.

However U.S. airlines are like 10-20 years ahead in terms of service, compared to European airlines. A couple of years ago there were still many full service airlines in Europe, and nowadays more and more are replaced by no-service airlines such as Eurowings (lufthansa), vueling (iberia), Transavia (Airfrance), etc. with service standards going down and down. In 10 years European airlines will be same as American.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:27 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
I am a US citizen, but I avoid flying on US carriers whenever possible. The US is very profit oriented rather than customer or service oriented across the spectrum (health care, education, etc). US carriers cut corners and service whenever possible to provide low cost fares to the public. Lower cost airlines that provide service (such as Independence Air of blessed memory) are driven out of business by the major airlines. Keep in mind that it was not always this way; at one time Delta was superb, as were some of the others. It (the decline in service for cost's sake) all started with People's Express, and the other US carriers followed suit.
IMO it started with deregulation.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:18 PM

21,149 posts, read 19,729,843 times
Simple. People are willing to pay for ****ty. Why is Motel 6 in business when people can stay at the Ritz-Carlton? Why is McDonald's in business when people can eat at Ruth's Steak House?

Old 01-16-2017, 12:28 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,382,804 times
I normally fly business and still you can tell the difference. About 20 years ago the stewardess were police and helpful now it seems like we own them something. Most aircrafts are falling apart, they are very dirty inside, full of crackling noise, electronics don't work well( i had several problems with audio output). Seems like the crew are always stressed out and about to quit their job. Of course i am exaggerating a bit, but boy has the service changed over the years. I love AA, my first foreign trip was with them, and until today try to fly as much AA as i can but damn it's getting hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation