Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 07:57 AM

8,228 posts, read 13,345,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
That's not what I said. I said the only thing he should have done was report it to the police and let them do the investigation. He is not an investigator, his job was never to become involved for reasons in which happened. He is not trained to deal with a situation such as that. I'm sure they have techniques to determine who they need to get.

But even with that said, you are distorting the facts of the case. He never said during the call that he thought Martin looked like one of the guys who committed the break-ins. He said he looked "suspicious" and said "there's something wrong with this guy". If he said that he looks like one of those guys, then we would be having a different conversation. Regardless, of how you want to view the incident itself, it started from racial profiling. What exactly was Martin doing that was "suspicious"? Was he committing any crime? Was he posing any threats to anyone to be followed? It's not about political correctness it's about civil rights. You cannot harass or accuse someone of something without justification. You are okay with profiling because you have issues that you have not dealt with and you have an obvious fear of black men that you need to deal with.

Zimmerman is not a law enforcement officer.. he is "John Q Public" and a volunteer.. so his "reasons" for focusing on Martin shouldnt be the issue as it should be if he were acting in some official capacity as an employee of a company or an actual police officer.What is more of a concern for me is HOW the two came into contact with one another that resulted in the use of deadly force. One of them had to engage the other in which the results of the encounter were tragic.

One of two things happend 1) Zimmerman approached Martin or 2) Martin approached Zimmerman and the result of either scenario is Martin being killed. From what has been written it is as if Martin just turned around and attacked/confronted Zimmerman...which is what Zimmerman states happend and that he was "attacked" and had to defend himself with deadly force. We will never know Martin's side of the story... We do know that he was unarmed and, from what I understand, had a legal reason to be in the community.. visiting family..and potentially no motive to harm (rob or assult) Zimmerman.. until their encounter. However; if Zimmerman confronted Martin after following him for a period of time..who is in the wrong? Again, neighborhood watch are not licensed and bonded security officers and not police but John Q Public.. anyone can say they are neighborhood watch.. which is why most law enforcement agencies say.. just "observe and report" but not to engage.

Sure we could all become Gomer Pyles and make a "citizens arreeest.. citizens arreeest" but that is after an actual crime has been committed which does to appear to be the case in this instance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 01:02 PM

759 posts, read 1,356,274 times
I'm not sure how this thread became a screed about the Trayvon Martin case, rather than a commentary about the sad state of affairs in Baltimore that led to the vicious assault on an innocent tourist visiting our city. But... I'll take the bait, 'cause I'm geared fer it.

A respondent wrote:
It's not about political correctness it's about civil rights..
I believe it is political correctness that is responsible for the inaction of the Baltimore police in seeking out and prosecuting our tourist's attackers. This man most certainly had both his Civil Rights and his Natural Rights(among them are Life, Liberty, Pursuit of Happiness...) violated. Had the victim been black and the attackers white we would have the uproar occurring here that is currently happening in Florida. Unfortunately, many white people in Maryland have a sense of misplaced guilt regarding past iniquities committed against black people. Thus they believe that such outrageous behavior is understandable, and even forgivable, given that blacks suffered greatly in the past. This sort of thinking has led society at large to expect a great deal less of black people than of any other racial or ethnic group in the country. I consider it to be one of the worst forms of racism.

You cannot harass or accuse someone of something without justification...
I can harass and accuse someone for any reason I see fit, whether my complaint is justified or not. If I think my neighbor's lawn is an eyesore I can confront him with a harangue about his slovenly ways every time I see him. As long as I am not trespassing, slandering, defaming or laying hands upon a person it is my right to do so. I am not so touchy-feely as to believe that every time I hear someone yell, "Hey, white boy what're you lookin' at?" that I need to call the cops and file suit due to an infringement of my rights. That just wouldn't be PC.

...You are okay with profiling because you have issues that you have not dealt with and you have an obvious fear of black men that you need to deal with.
Profiling is widely used on all sides by law enforcement and governmental agencies. It is used because it works. When I lived on Montford Ave. I was routinely accosted by Baltimore Police, as I was often the only white person in a black neighborhood. Did I run out and immediately alert the media and my lawyer? The BPD assumed that most white people were only there to cop drugs. They were right, most white people were only there to cop drugs. Occam's Razor is not PC.

As to issues involving fear of black men, despite the fact that over 25% of Baltimore's black men aged 16-45 are involved in some way with the criminal justice system (not that it's PC to mention it), you wouldn't live in a city that's 70% black if you have an obvious fear of black men.

The Trayvon Martin case exemplifies political correctness. Has anyone else noticed how little about the facts of this case have actually been made public? We know Martin was black and we know he's dead. We know Zimmerman admits to shooting him. We know the police questioned and released Zimmerman without charging him. We know that Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and even the president have added fuel to the fire calling for Zimmerman's arrest.
Not PC to mention: We know that Martin's mother has copyrighted and trademarked her son's name, image and "Trayvon-related slogans" (just as an aside, this would not have been the first response of my mother, or any other grieving mother I've ever encountered). We know that Martin's Facebook page has been taken down ( tho' many postings and images are still available if you search for them). We know that Martin has been immortalized as an angelic, ever twelve year old. We know that Martin has a sealed juvenile record.
However, it took quite awhile to learn Zimmerman was half Hispanic. Not PC. Also not PC was the assumption by many (including several religio-apologist blogs) that he was Jewish. Hmmm...
We know that the Florida DA, the State and Federal Attorney's General, and the newly appointed Special Prosecutor were not bowing to public outcry when they decided to prosecute the case when local authorities had not. Really, it's true! There are State and Federal entities following every case, everywhere, just waiting for some podunk jurisdiction to drop the ball so that they can swoop in and right their wrongs in cases nobody nationwide ever heard of or cares about. Happens all the time. Wouldn't be PC to imagine otherwise.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:41 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
I just viewed a news item this morning on a local network affiliate: a woman was visiting her baby at a Social Services building and for reasons unknown this woman pulled out a kitchen knife and stabbed the baby multiple times. Around 95% of the story was about how this woman was able to sneak a knife past security. It was not why she stabbed her baby or even on the babies condition.

Where is the empathy?

Old 04-25-2012, 08:37 AM

27 posts, read 49,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm not particularly outraged by Trayvon Martin .
ur an idiot

Old 04-25-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
LiveLeak.com - Man robbed and knocked out while being sexually harassed

Could someone outraged about the Trayvon Martin incident explain to me the following:

1. Why isn't this being addressed by the race hustlers (Jesse Jackson, Sharpton, Obama, etc.)

2. Explain to me why the world wouldn't be a better place without each and every one of these kids in the video.

Thanks in advance.
1. Because this isnt the same. This dude had on a 1300 dollar watch and other valuables around people who saw they could take it from him. Race wasnt the underlying factor, they wouldve done the same thing to a weak black person in that same situation.

2. These are kids that made a mistake. The kid who got beat is still alive. And you think they deserve to die because of it?

You are a weak person if you do.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Stuff like that makes us, especially young black people, all look bad.
naw, it doesnt. Anyone who judges a person or persons based on the actions of other individuals is an idiot. Your comment not only acknowledges these people but implies that it is perfectly acceptable.....that makes you an even bigger idiot.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
In Maryland, most people are not allowed to carry firearms outside of their home. Maybe for hunting purposes or something.

If George Zimmerman had shot Trayvon Martin in Maryland he would have faced gun charges for carrying a gun outside of his home.
"an Unjust law is no law at all"

if u feel the law is unjust, break it.

Your second sentence gives the implication that you dont feel Zimmerman should have been arrested for shooting Trayvon Martin. Is this correct?

Old 04-25-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
pgtitans wrote: " I think as horrible as the people in the video are for doing this, why was this guy out 2 am in the morning by himself drunk [with a 1300 watch on] ? What was he expecting? He should make better decisions..."

corrected

Old 04-25-2012, 11:47 AM

65 posts, read 99,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreisinthehouse2 View Post
1. Because this isnt the same. This dude had on a 1300 dollar watch and other valuables around people who saw they could take it from him. Race wasnt the underlying factor, they wouldve done the same thing to a weak black person in that same situation.

2. These are kids that made a mistake. The kid who got beat is still alive. And you think they deserve to die because of it?

Yes anyone walking around Baltimroe with an expensive watch should expect to be robbed. You have no idea that race was not the factor. Whites are singled out all the time by gangs of blacks as they look vulnerable, myself included. That is just reality. Its not acknowledged due to political correctness.

Yeah the kids made a mistake, viciously assualted a lone man robbed him and humiliated him, and continued to beat on him after he was on the ground and injured.

These savages have no place in civilized society and I could care less if they ever see the light of day again.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:12 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,136,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreisinthehouse2 View Post

So his beating was justified because he had an expensive watch? What animal exhibit do you live in? They made a mistake that they CONSCIOUSLY made!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore