Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 07:22 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus101 View Post
Ive been to Baltimore inner harbor many times having grown up in Maryland, but never knew the city or neighborhoods. I've been recently looking into moving to Baltimore inner harbor,,I love the place! the architecture parks, brownstones. This city is definitely UNDERRATED.
Anyways I'd like some advice from local who know the place better than I, as I've just began my interest in moving to Charm city this month. Ive looked in Fells point, Bolton Hill, Mt. Vernon and Reservoir Hill,They are all nice to me, any advice from local?? I would love to live close to Druid park, But I need* to be close to Penn Station (for work) My husband and I have two sons in their 20's. we love the urban lifestyle, walking everywhere. Thanks for reading and would love your guidance

Do you plan on renting an apartment or buying a row home? There are plenty of apartments for you to rent near Penn station (Symphony Center, Sutton Place) if you need more time for decision making. If you are buying I suggest Bolton Hill. You don't have to wait for the neighborhood to get better, and you don't have to worry about it getting worse. Close to Penn Station and not far from Druid Park, it is also safer than the downtown/midtown neighborhoods. With its tree lined streets, many parks and fountains, there is not a nicer neighborhood of row homes in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 04:05 PM

58 posts, read 121,812 times
Current City of Chicago resident here. I lived in Baltimore for a year (June 2013- Aug 2014). Sadly I was counting down the days until I could get out when I was there. Horrible way to approach daily life, I know. Eventually that day came (relocated for a job). I thought Baltimore was a crime ridden, drug infested unhinged city and was not a good fit.

I never thought I'd say it, but Baltimore REALLY grew on me after I left. I miss it a lot sometimes. There is just something really unique about the place. I can't really put my finger on it. The place is crazy and interesting in a very peculiar way. I like the energy and the quirkiness. Of course the food - so so good. I miss being able to get Berger cookies and RoFo fried chicken, amazing crab cakes, trinidadian food, the list goes on. My old neighborhood (Govans - Belvedere Square) was outstanding - super friendly people in a close knit neighborhood.

From talking to people who've moved, apparently this is quite common. Classic example of not appreciating something and being in the moment. So far all these reasons, I think Baltimore is for sure an underrated place.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:46 PM

773 posts, read 2,631,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasReeves View Post
Current City of Chicago resident here.
I feel your pain. In the upcoming election, you have a choice between Rahm, a moderate right wing republican with a (D) behind his name (like his mentor Barak), and a local black with a real (D) behind his/her name. The northwest side, full of old white fogies afraid of having a NEGRO mayor, will come out amass for Rahm; the southside Negros won't come out to vote.

Quote:
I lived in Baltimore for a year. I thought Baltimore was a crime ridden, drug infested unhinged city and was not a good fit.
You think ChiTown is not a crime-riden, drug-invested city? Obviously, you have never ventured south of Roosevelt Road or west of Halsted. Chicago can be every bit as exciting as Baltimore.

Quote:
I never thought I'd say it, but Baltimore REALLY grew on me. There is just something really unique about the place. I can't really put my finger on it. The place is crazy and interesting.
Baghdad is crazy and interesting. You would not want to live there.

Quote:
Of course the food - so, so good. I miss the amazing crabs ...
Crabs are bottom dwellers and the bottom of the Cheasapeak is laden with Mercury and other toxins. Try a real Chicago hotdog at Portillo's while you're out there. Chicago steak if you can afford it.

Quote:
I think Baltimore is for sure an underrated place.
Well, I don't. I don't knock Baltimore in front of strangers because I grew up there, and it gives me a sense of place. Baltimore is symptomatic of much of urban ills in America. I doubt I'll see much change in my lifetime.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:04 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,511,503 times
Quote:
Current City of Chicago resident here. I lived in Baltimore for a year (June 2013- Aug 2014). Sadly I was counting down the days until I could get out when I was there. Horrible way to approach daily life, I know. Eventually that day came (relocated for a job). I thought Baltimore was a crime ridden, drug infested unhinged city and was not a good fit.

I never thought I'd say it, but Baltimore REALLY grew on me after I left. I miss it a lot sometimes. There is just something really unique about the place. I can't really put my finger on it. The place is crazy and interesting in a very peculiar way. I like the energy and the quirkiness. Of course the food - so so good. I miss being able to get Berger cookies and RoFo fried chicken, amazing crab cakes, trinidadian food, the list goes on. My old neighborhood (Govans - Belvedere Square) was outstanding - super friendly people in a close knit neighborhood.

From talking to people who've moved, apparently this is quite common. Classic example of not appreciating something and being in the moment. So far all these reasons, I think Baltimore is for sure an underrated place.

My theory is that there is a completely unexplained law of physics that Einstein couldn't even dream of. This subtle but very real force pulls people towards Baltimore for no discernable reason. Some day physicists will develop a instrumentation sensitive enough to detect it. Until then, just obey the force.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:37 AM

759 posts, read 1,357,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
My theory is that there is a completely unexplained law of physics that Einstein couldn't even dream of. This subtle but very real force pulls people towards Baltimore for no discernable reason. Some day physicists will develop a instrumentation sensitive enough to detect it. Until then, just obey the force.
This is a well-known phenomenon known colloquially as the "Baltimore Black Hole Effect." The city is a center where both strong and weak as well as gravitational forces intersect. The result is that once one has been attracted, they find themselves unable to pull themselves out of the vortex that is Baltimore.
Quite literally, Baltimore "sucks": sucks you in so that you can't seem to pull yourself out, and sucks in that life here seems to suck the life out of you and any pre-conceived notions you may have had about what constitutes a "normal" human existence.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:55 PM

40 posts, read 63,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
I feel your pain. In the upcoming election, you have a choice between Rahm, a moderate right wing republican with a (D) behind his name (like his mentor Barak), and a local black with a real (D) behind his/her name. The northwest side, full of old white fogies afraid of having a NEGRO mayor, will come out amass for Rahm; the southside Negros won't come out to vote.

You think ChiTown is not a crime-riden, drug-invested city? Obviously, you have never ventured south of Roosevelt Road or west of Halsted. Chicago can be every bit as exciting as Baltimore.

Baghdad is crazy and interesting. You would not want to live there.

Crabs are bottom dwellers and the bottom of the Cheasapeak is laden with Mercury and other toxins. Try a real Chicago hotdog at Portillo's while you're out there. Chicago steak if you can afford it.

Well, I don't. I don't knock Baltimore in front of strangers because I grew up there, and it gives me a sense of place. Baltimore is symptomatic of much of urban ills in America. I doubt I'll see much change in my lifetime.

This isn't a thread about Chicago. Chicago is cool, but it's not Baltimore. Chicago has a some things going for it that are better than Baltimore, and Baltimore has some things going for it that are better than Chicago. However, to compare a hot dog (good hot dogs though) to Maryland crabs/crabcakes is asinine. A good steak can be had just about anywhere. There is nothing regionally unique about a steak (as much as you would like to fool yourself to think there is).

Baltimore has a more interesting layout and hodgepodge of architecture compared to Chicago. Also the topography of Baltimore is amazing. Chicago is flat, flat, flat.

I've got news for you, Baltimore is changing for the better everyday. You just don't see it.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:12 AM

52 posts, read 109,593 times
Yes, it is underrated. This is due to it being overshadowed by DC and Philly. I have lived in all three places and prefer Baltimore and intend to stay here for awhile.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:02 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvmdmd View Post
Yes, it is underrated. This is due to it being overshadowed by DC and Philly. I have lived in all three places and prefer Baltimore and intend to stay here for awhile.
I can understand the DC/Baltimore comparison, as they are such different cities.

But, Philadelphia and Baltimore has so many similarities, I'd think Philly being similar, and bigger, would just be more interesting? No?

Old 12-10-2014, 01:34 PM

400 posts, read 449,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMVboy View Post
The one heartbreaking thing was seeing all of the homelessness around town. It seemed like it was more of it this year than last year. I had just went up to DC 2 months ago and didn't see as many panhandlers in that city as I did in Baltimore.
Oh you saw the panhandlers in DC and there are more of them. They are just dressed in high end suits and drive luxury vehicles. you can find them panhandling around the capitol building.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:22 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,997 times
That is not DC or Philly's fault! It's Baltimore's FAULT! You prefer to live in Baltimore because it's SLOW and CHEAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvmdmd View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore