Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2015, 10:12 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
The behavior of the Royals/their fans has been extremely disappointing to me. Even after they beat the O's in the playoffs last year, I was still rooting for them in the World Series because, as a National League fan, it's so boring to see the Giants/Cardinals/Dodgers in the playoffs year after year. I'm so sick of the same teams in the NL always enjoying success. So, I was pulling for the underdog, despite being sad that they beat the O's.

But, I can't root for them anymore. What started off as a kind of endearing swagger has become straight up arrogance on the part of the team and their fans. I may hate the Yankees for being so damn arrogant, but at least they have something to be arrogant about. Win at least a few rings and then act like you're the greatest team to grace this earth. Until then, screw right off.

Unfortunately, I agree with you here. I don't have words colorful enough to describe how I feel about Scott Boras. He's a slimeball. Consider Crush gone next year.
Die hard Royals fans here. I actually kind of agree, but at the same time, I think you are being too hard on a fan base that has taken a serious beating for decades. I have been a fan for decades and most of these arrogant annoying fans are the new coming bandwagoners that didn't know where the stadium was just a few years ago. Most fans that I know are more passive about and don't act like this at all. I think you will find these types of obnoxious fans of any franchise that is all of the sudden doing well. Toronto Blue Jays have them coming out of the woodwork right now.

I really like the O's and go to many games a year as an O's fan. I did go to the KC series as a KC fan obviously and many O's fans were pretty annoying to us, but it's part of sports, it's fine.

I hope the Royals stay competitive for a while and I also hope the O's get things going again. I can't stand the Yankees and I'm starting to feel the same way about Toronto. I just like MLB and enjoy going to games in ballparks all across the country. Hopefully these "new" Royals fans don't ruin it for us long time true fans that have been proudly wearing Royals jerseys for many many really bad years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 11:09 AM

934 posts, read 1,063,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Die hard Royals fans here. I actually kind of agree, but at the same time, I think you are being too hard on a fan base that has taken a serious beating for decades. I have been a fan for decades and most of these arrogant annoying fans are the new coming bandwagoners that didn't know where the stadium was just a few years ago. Most fans that I know are more passive about and don't act like this at all. I think you will find these types of obnoxious fans of any franchise that is all of the sudden doing well. Toronto Blue Jays have them coming out of the woodwork right now.

I really like the O's and go to many games a year as an O's fan. I did go to the KC series as a KC fan obviously and many O's fans were pretty annoying to us, but it's part of sports, it's fine.

I hope the Royals stay competitive for a while and I also hope the O's get things going again. I can't stand the Yankees and I'm starting to feel the same way about Toronto. I just like MLB and enjoy going to games in ballparks all across the country. Hopefully these "new" Royals fans don't ruin it for us long time true fans that have been proudly wearing Royals jerseys for many many really bad years.
Thanks for the very honest perspective.

Trust me, I get what it means to have a battered fan base. I think the Mets are experiencing something very similar to what the Royals are experiencing. We have been down for a very long time (complete with two epic collapses in a row) and now we are enjoying success this year. There are plenty of bandwagoners out there in orange and blue as well.

And I absolutely believe that you are right that it is a minority of fans. And it makes me sad that they are giving the rest of the fanbase a bad name.

But, it's not just the fans. It's the players too. The Yordano Ventura incident(s) in particular early this season were really pretty ridiculous and really changed my perception of the team.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:11 AM

Speaking of the Yankees though, Mets have a huge series against them this weekend. We're coming off of kind of a letdown series, having lost 2 out of 3 to Miami after having our awesome come-from-behind-every-day 8 game winning streak.

We need to bounce back and the Yankees have their backs against the wall. They desperately need these games and are fighting and scrapping to stay in playoff position.

I want nothing more than to bury them at Citi Field.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:56 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Thanks for the very honest perspective.

Trust me, I get what it means to have a battered fan base. I think the Mets are experiencing something very similar to what the Royals are experiencing. We have been down for a very long time (complete with two epic collapses in a row) and now we are enjoying success this year. There are plenty of bandwagoners out there in orange and blue as well.

And I absolutely believe that you are right that it is a minority of fans. And it makes me sad that they are giving the rest of the fanbase a bad name.

But, it's not just the fans. It's the players too. The Yordano Ventura incident(s) in particular early this season were really pretty ridiculous and really changed my perception of the team.
Ventura's immaturity irritated most Royals fans too. I think he has come around, but he has been one of the major reasons the team has had some issues earlier. Even when you have somebody like Ventura being stupid, the team will back him up if the benches clear, but that doesn't mean that the other players are the same.

Even so this label that the Royals have gotten that they are thuggy and throw at people is just nuts, actually it's hilarious if you watch the team on a regular basis because most KC players are very down to earth and fan friendly. There were more Royals players signing balls for O's fans at the KC series than O's players.

The KC and Baltimore fan bases are very similar and have gone through similar bad times, hopefully they don't have any hard feelings against each other. And go Mets! Since the Nats can't get it done.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Ventura's immaturity irritated most Royals fans too. I think he has come around, but he has been one of the major reasons the team has had some issues earlier. Even when you have somebody like Ventura being stupid, the team will back him up if the benches clear, but that doesn't mean that the other players are the same.
I'm glad to know that most Royals fans weren't pleased with his behavior because that was not my perception at the time. But, this was just based on me reading the comments sections on MLB.com.

You're very right though that his behavior does not mean the other players are the same way. I just hope he is aware how his behavior has impacted the team's image.

Quote:
The KC and Baltimore fan bases are very similar and have gone through similar bad times, hopefully they don't have any hard feelings against each other. And go Mets! Since the Nats can't get it done.
Amen!

Old 09-17-2015, 04:16 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,426,825 times
Entering Season of Uncertainty!

Old 09-17-2015, 04:17 PM

We will see!

Quote:
Speaking of the Yankees though, Mets have a huge series against them this weekend. We're coming off of kind of a letdown series, having lost 2 out of 3 to Miami after having our awesome come-from-behind-every-day 8 game winning streak.

We need to bounce back and the Yankees have their backs against the wall. They desperately need these games and are fighting and scrapping to stay in playoff position.

I want nothing more than to bury them at Citi Field.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:30 AM

My friends and family in LA and NY talking cash mess about the Dodgers and Mets in first place! LOL!

We will see!

Old 09-21-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
My friends and family in LA and NY talking cash mess about the Dodgers and Mets in first place! LOL!
Cash mess? Do you mean they're losing money because they didn't bet on them?

That ending of the Yankees series was extremely unfortunate. I fear this Harvey business is messing up our season. He was cruising and we had a lead, but they took him out after 5 because of his "innings limit" and it all fell apart from there. I'm convinced if he had gone 7 like he should have, we win that game and move forward having taken 2 out of 3 from the Yankees and feeling good for the final push. I am sick of everything being about Matt Harvey. There are 36 other guys on the team right now. How about we focus on the contribution everyone else has to make for us to make the playoffs? We are not a team of one. He isn't even our best player. Honestly, if he continues to distract the team from its goal, they should just shut him down and be done with it. At this point his starts are doing us more harm than good.

Now, our lead is down to 6 games with our magic number still 8 with 13 games left to go. Nats are doing everything they have to do to try to catch us - they have been winning. We're back to playing terrible teams again. We must take care of business. If we do not make the playoffs, it's a disaster. It's a disaster for the fans and therefore also a disaster for the team financially. No one will care that no one expected us to even play meaningful games in September. They will only care that we choked. Again. And no one will buy season tickets next year. This fan base is too battered to consider anything but a playoff appearance a win at this point.

13 to go: against the Braves, Reds, Phillies...and the last series against the Nats at home. We must clinch before the Nationals series. If they don't, I guarantee the Mets will not make the playoffs. If we win 8 of the next 10 (which we should be able to do given the poor quality of our opponents), we won't have to care at all about what the Nationals do. They can win out and it won't matter. We need to step it up now and show everyone what this team is made of and forget about the Harvey drama.

Also, can the O's pretty pretty please help us out and beat the Nationals 2 out of 3 at least? That would be great.

I'm getting stomach ulcers, guys.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:44 AM

"Cash mess" is an old school African American axiom meaning "talking s*&t" Lol!

Quote:
Cash mess? Do you mean they're losing money because they didn't bet on them?

That ending of the Yankees series was extremely unfortunate. I fear this Harvey business is messing up our season. He was cruising and we had a lead, but they took him out after 5 because of his "innings limit" and it all fell apart from there. I'm convinced if he had gone 7 like he should have, we win that game and move forward having taken 2 out of 3 from the Yankees and feeling good for the final push. I am sick of everything being about Matt Harvey. There are 36 other guys on the team right now. How about we focus on the contribution everyone else has to make for us to make the playoffs? We are not a team of one. He isn't even our best player. Honestly, if he continues to distract the team from its goal, they should just shut him down and be done with it. At this point his starts are doing us more harm than good.

Now, our lead is down to 6 games with our magic number still 8 with 13 games left to go. Nats are doing everything they have to do to try to catch us - they have been winning. We're back to playing terrible teams again. We must take care of business. If we do not make the playoffs, it's a disaster. It's a disaster for the fans and therefore also a disaster for the team financially. No one will care that no one expected us to even play meaningful games in September. They will only care that we choked. Again. And no one will buy season tickets next year. This fan base is too battered to consider anything but a playoff appearance a win at this point.

13 to go: against the Braves, Reds, Phillies...and the last series against the Nats at home. We must clinch before the Nationals series. If they don't, I guarantee the Mets will not make the playoffs. If we win 8 of the next 10 (which we should be able to do given the poor quality of our opponents), we won't have to care at all about what the Nationals do. They can win out and it won't matter. We need to step it up now and show everyone what this team is made of and forget about the Harvey drama.

Also, can the O's pretty pretty please help us out and beat the Nationals 2 out of 3 at least? That would be great.

I'm getting stomach ulcers, guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore