Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2020, 08:24 PM

30,135 posts, read 11,774,020 times

Advertisements

I am shocked that Milwaukee got knocked out of the playoffs. If I was a betting man the one bet would be Milwaukee making the finals. However most great players have to stumble a couple times before they get it right. MJ, LeBron and the splash brothers come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 08:57 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
I think the shutdown probably played a big role in knocking them off balance.
I might get irritated with the politics in sports these days, but it still would have been nice to see the Bucks go all the way this year.

Old 09-10-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I think the shutdown probably played a big role in knocking them off balance.
I might get irritated with the politics in sports these days, but it still would have been nice to see the Bucks go all the way this year.

Every team had the shutdown. It was not just the Bucks. This is two years in a row where they had the best record in the east and could not make it to the finals. They probably need a coaching change. But who? Billy Donovan?

Old 09-10-2020, 09:54 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,860,337 times
Not having home court advantage at Fiserv hurt them a lot. Ya, I know it was equal playing court, but the Bucks had the home court wrapped up. Wisconsin fans always show up big for games & are loud & drunk. No way the refs make the calls they did in some of those games at the Fiserv Forum in Milwaukee.

Old 09-10-2020, 10:12 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,654,933 times
Miami is playing very well right now. However, this bounce out of the playoffs for the Bucks--even with the bubble--makes me wonder if this team, as presently put together is the right mix. Are the right players around Giannis?

Old 09-11-2020, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Not having home court advantage at Fiserv hurt them a lot. Ya, I know it was equal playing court, but the Bucks had the home court wrapped up. Wisconsin fans always show up big for games & are loud & drunk. No way the refs make the calls they did in some of those games at the Fiserv Forum in Milwaukee.

Milwaukee was 26-12 on the road this season. Its not like they were bad away from Fiserv. And these were not road games. And you look at the other two elite teams, the Lakers and Clippers. They are both doing fine against much better teams.

Old 09-12-2020, 07:16 AM

4,666 posts, read 3,860,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
They probably need a coaching change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Are the right players around Giannis?
I wonder if Giannis influence is making it hard to change things in Milwaukee. I know last year Giannis was pretty vocal that he didn't want any players to be let go (see quote below). Lol. There's rumors this year he's said he wants Bud to stay. Giannis just loves everyone. He even said he didn't want Kidd to be fired & Kidd was terrible at the end. I think Giannis truly believes he can win a championship with the squad he has, & he knows it won't be easy, & that's how he wants it. Hence his comment after the Heat loss about some players seeing a wall & going in another direction, but he plows through it.

I know Giannis is the main man in Milwaukee so I almost wonder if the higher ups are afraid to mess up the core because they don't want to anger Giannis.

Quote:
"I want everyone back," Antetokounmpo said of Milwaukee's offseason, via ESPN. "Great fricking team -- unselfish players that play basketball the right way. They're winners. We had a great atmosphere. We didn't have no -- I want to be polite. I want to say the A-word -- we didn't have no buttheads. Obviously, I want everyone back. I am going to let my teammates know that."
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/g...everyone-back/

Old 09-12-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I wonder if Giannis influence is making it hard to change things in Milwaukee. I know last year Giannis was pretty vocal that he didn't want any players to be let go (see quote below). Lol. There's rumors this year he's said he wants Bud to stay. Giannis just loves everyone. He even said he didn't want Kidd to be fired & Kidd was terrible at the end. I think Giannis truly believes he can win a championship with the squad he has, & he knows it won't be easy, & that's how he wants it. Hence his comment after the Heat loss about some players seeing a wall & going in another direction, but he plows through it.

I know Giannis is the main man in Milwaukee so I almost wonder if the higher ups are afraid to mess up the core because they don't want to anger Giannis.

I think Giannis is a nice guy. And even leaders of other teams rarely call out publicly for one of their teammates to be fired. Behind the scenes who knows. But that is the double edged sword of having an elite superstar on your team. You have to give them what they want. And players often do not see things objectively.

Old 09-14-2020, 10:07 AM

3,835 posts, read 4,439,529 times
Giannis has three things to work on this summer:
1) Free throws. Not sure if this season was just a one time aberration, but he was terrible from the line, shooting 52%. What makes it even odder is the fact that for most of his career he has shot around 70%. Dont know what happened this year. But for a guy who gets as many free throws as he does, he cant afford to leave easy points on the table like this. He really should be aiming for at least 80%

2) Back to the basket post up game: He has none. And this is why he is easy to defend. The wall is the perfect shut down for a guy whose game is drive to the basket only. I saw an interview where Kevin Garnett said he had been training Giannis, I was like, Why? KG is the worst person to be training Giannis on offense. Giannis needs to go see the Dream Hakeem and learn a post game. Several great stars have praised Hakeem's training on improving their game (Kobe, Lebron, Melo etc).

3) Learn a go to mid range jumper. He needs something like what Kawhi has. And remember that Kawhi came into the league a non shooter. He had to learn that shot over time and now it's his go to, unstoppable move. Giannis needs one as well.

Those three things and there is no stopping him next year.

Old 09-14-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Giannis has three things to work on this summer:
1) Free throws. Not sure if this season was just a one time aberration, but he was terrible from the line, shooting 52%. What makes it even odder is the fact that for most of his career he has shot around 70%. Dont know what happened this year. But for a guy who gets as many free throws as he does, he cant afford to leave easy points on the table like this. He really should be aiming for at least 80%
I think if you have the shooting touch to hit 3's a high free-throw percentage is doable. Giannis has a soft touch.

Quote:
2) Back to the basket post up game: He has none. And this is why he is easy to defend. The wall is the perfect shut down for a guy whose game is drive to the basket only. I saw an interview where Kevin Garnett said he had been training Giannis, I was like, Why? KG is the worst person to be training Giannis on offense. Giannis needs to go see the Dream Hakeem and learn a post game. Several great stars have praised Hakeem's training on improving their game (Kobe, Lebron, Melo etc).
I agree

Quote:
3) Learn a go to mid range jumper. He needs something like what Kawhi has. And remember that Kawhi came into the league a non shooter. He had to learn that shot over time and now it's his go to, unstoppable move. Giannis needs one as well.

Those three things and there is no stopping him next year.
With his size and agility and shooting like Kawhi does. Unstoppable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball