Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,173 times

Advertisements

1) Downtown congestion, worse than it used to be, but better than most places on this earth.
2) Gardening challenges, do not move here if you have the need to exercise a green thumb, unless you want to build a greenhouse
3) Relative isolation, although that may in fact be viewed as a positive
4) Wages and jobs are tough. Bring a job or be creative and educated enough to make one.
5) Some elitism is oozed from those successful types who want to accolades for their decision to move to Bend.
6) Rents are going up and up and seem to be approaching nuttiness, although, again, this may seem cheap depending on where you are moving from.
7) The east side/west side phenomenon, essentially the haves and the haves not.
8) If you think you are physically a stud, you will likely view yourself as sub mediocre in Bend. A lot of super athletes.
9) It is dry here. Your skin will age from the altitude, sun, and lack of humidity. You will not have creamy porcelain baby faced Portland type skin.
10) The winters are long, dreary and very brown. The only solution is to be very active in winter sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 06:16 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
1. Athletic snobbery "I ran the [one of the numerous half marathons/10ks/15ks] in 'X' time this weekend!" Usually said while wearing a North Face jacket. Variant "I climbed 'X' rock face this weekend!" wearing some other brand name sports wear
1a) People wearing name-brand sportswear to work, shop, eat out, everywhere.
2. Cyclist snobbery - people's bicycles cost more than their car. Often accompanied by "I biked to work today! using [more difficult route]! Even more annoying is when they don't have to work.
2a) entitled cyclists on the roads; having to get around them awkwardly - granted this is a broader Oregon problem
3. California equity refugees who think a $400k 3/2 1500 sq.ft. house is affordable, driving up the rest of our housing prices
4. West-side snobbery - covered already by others, often correlates with #'s 1-3.
5. Bend snobbery - both the "I was here when the Old Mill was an actual mill" version and the "I'm so hip and cool because I live here and moved away from [California mostly, or whatever place]"
6. Unless it's an arterial road, it will take forever to get plowed after it snows. I've seen it take 5-7 days. Winter tires are a must-buy.
7. Rental vacancies of <.05%. Rents have risen about 35% since 2012 and likely to rise by at least 6-7% this year. I know someone who rented out his couch to a Mt. Bachelor worker for months. A friend of mine charges almost $1000 rent for a manufactured-home duplex. Per unit.
8. Really awkward and un-funny local TV and radio personalities. Very, very contrived and forced. That's not unique to Bend but it seems worse here.
9. Smoke from multiple forest fires, either nearby or often hundreds of miles away wafts through from late July to late September. If it's a snowy, wet winter - "It's going to be a bad fire season - the moisture helped a lot of fuel grow" or if it's a dry winter "going to be a bad fire season, everything will be tinder ready to burn..." Gahhh no way to win.
10. NO JOBS, except horrid service jobs; as one of my students put it "food service hell."

Caveat - "no jobs" is a popular refrain on C-D for almost every locale. Oregon in general is not a jobs-healthy state and never has been, at least not the past few decades. I get the feeling this year has been better than the last 7-8.

That said, after having been here almost 3 years it's starting to grow on me, although I live in Redmond. I have to admit that I like the lower level of snobbery there and just tolerate the conservatism.

Last edited by redguard57; 04-06-2015 at 06:27 PM..

Old 08-22-2015, 07:33 PM

8 posts, read 20,176 times
I am not from Bend but just visited there last week for the first time... and I have to second those who mentioned forest fires. The week we were there there were large fires nearby and in Washington state, especially at the Warm Springs reservation. The air quality was very bad and there was no view of the mountains as they were obscured by smoke. It was also very hot (upper 90s).

I wasn't all that impressed by Bend quite honestly. The traffic was terrible downtown and the stores seemed to be your standard tourist town mix. Drake Park was pretty but certainly no better than many other parks I've visited in smallish towns throughout the country. It did feel very isolated also, and that is not my cup of tea.

There is certainly some beautiful country surrounding the town and if hiking/kayaking/biking is your thing, the outdoor activities may outweigh issues with the town itself.

Full disclosure I grew up in NYC and live in NJ, so I may be biased towards larger/less isolated areas.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:54 PM

346 posts, read 464,134 times
There are waaaaay too many people like this moving in. And, yes, most are from (Southern) California!

Old 08-25-2015, 07:27 PM

722 posts, read 1,353,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoverny View Post
I am not from Bend but just visited there last week for the first time... and I have to second those who mentioned forest fires. The week we were there there were large fires nearby and in Washington state, especially at the Warm Springs reservation. The air quality was very bad and there was no view of the mountains as they were obscured by smoke. It was also very hot (upper 90s).

I wasn't all that impressed by Bend quite honestly. The traffic was terrible downtown and the stores seemed to be your standard tourist town mix. Drake Park was pretty but certainly no better than many other parks I've visited in smallish towns throughout the country. It did feel very isolated also, and that is not my cup of tea.

There is certainly some beautiful country surrounding the town and if hiking/kayaking/biking is your thing, the outdoor activities may outweigh issues with the town itself.

Full disclosure I grew up in NYC and live in NJ, so I may be biased towards larger/less isolated areas.
Yes, Smokiest week since I moved or visiting here..

I have not heard anywhere Bend being a shopping mecca?

Glad it is busy downtown, the stores wouldn't make it without traffic ??

Drive a few blocks and it is a quiet town IMO.

Not sure where you were that was in the upper 90's ? but it wasn't Bend? I am a serious weather geek and the highest temp that week was on my weather station was 92.2 and every night was in the 40's or low 50's ? Dew points in the 40's with a bump up to 52 degree dewpoint .. That would be fantasy weather in NYC or NJ during mid August???

Anyway, glad you didn't like here, population is growing too fast, crazy how many new homes have been built in the 14months I have lived here.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:02 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,002,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
Anyway, glad you didn't like here, population is growing too fast, crazy how many new homes have been built in the 14months I have lived here.
The building has certainly picked up!

Last edited by BendLocal; 08-25-2015 at 08:29 PM..

Old 08-28-2015, 09:12 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
Yes, Smokiest week since I moved or visiting here..

I have not heard anywhere Bend being a shopping mecca?

Glad it is busy downtown, the stores wouldn't make it without traffic ??

Drive a few blocks and it is a quiet town IMO.

Not sure where you were that was in the upper 90's ? but it wasn't Bend? I am a serious weather geek and the highest temp that week was on my weather station was 92.2 and every night was in the 40's or low 50's ? Dew points in the 40's with a bump up to 52 degree dewpoint .. That would be fantasy weather in NYC or NJ during mid August???

Well he said he was biased against isolated places, which Bend is.

It does seem to be one of the more vibrant towns I know of that isn't on an interstate or near one. Usually towns don't grow that much only being on a U.S. highway.

If the growth keeps up I expect within 50 years for 97 to have a major overhaul, possibly a spur of 84 or 5 sent this way, or at least should....... Although this is Oregon, and our congressional delegation from the entire state seems to suck at bringing back bacon. People here seem to hate growth - even as the growth is the difference between Bend being what it is instead of a glorified Baker City or Pendleton. Bring up OSU Cascades and people pop a coronary.

This isn't just a Bend thing - people in Portland have the same love/hate going on with growth. They want the conveniences of growth but hate the traffic, etc... and fight like hell any infrastructure or building projects that accommodate or come with growth even though the growth has already happened.

Last edited by redguard57; 08-28-2015 at 09:23 PM..

Old 08-30-2015, 11:44 AM

233 posts, read 250,630 times
Why NOT Bend?

Ok...I've lived in Central Oregon and visited a few times later in life. I greatly love the way it USED to be (way back in the 1970's).

But I might be able to give ten negatives.

1. Too many liberal hippy types.
2. Prices are higher than the surrounding towns and not justifiable.
3. Tourists dolts during winter ski season and summer golf/hiking/biking season.
4. Traffic and the morons that drive like fools in 4x4 vehicles. Highly annoying.
5. Winters are very cold some of the time.
6. Growing seasons for gardening is very short due to heavy frosts well into late spring.
7. Low wages for labor type jobs....encourages a lower social class (crime).
8. Literally THOUSANDS of fake cowboys and people that pretend to be the salt of the earth....when in reality they are something less.
9. Lots of fires in the summer in the nearby national forests.
10. Long drive if you desire to visit a large metropolitan area (but that can be a bonus as well).

Old 09-01-2015, 07:44 PM

479 posts, read 802,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoverny View Post

I was there about (3) weeks ago and while there were many fires going on, thankfully the smoke didn't effect us in any way. I've been to Bend a few times (always to mountain bike) and have made a few observations of my own....

1) Traffic sucks, not just "for a small town" but in general. I live in in a MAJOR city and I have less traffic on our surface streets here as I move around town. Freeways, when I used to be on them every day, are another story. It was taking me 2-3 light cycles to get thru intersections and the traffic circles were backing up 10-15 cars on a regular basis.

2) The speed limits, especially on 97 & 20, are silly slow yet every time I'm there, there seems to be some major collision closing the highway. Not sure why Oregon feels they need such slow freeway speeds as it's the same in Portland.

3) I know most people who think they are cool and hip will disagree but too many of the restaurants in town go overboard trying to be "trendy" and "funky". People like to be seen at them so they are more than willing to pay double what the same food (actually less food) would cost in other restaurants. 'Chow' is a perfect example of this. Suer popular but we went when the place was 90% empty (early breakfast) and the service was ridiculously slow. My omelette/meal was half the size but double in cost of what I normally pay.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:09 PM

812 posts, read 1,061,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rider View Post
I was there about (3) weeks ago and while there were many fires going on, thankfully the smoke didn't effect us in any way. I've been to Bend a few times (always to mountain bike) and have made a few observations of my own....

1) Traffic sucks, not just "for a small town" but in general. I live in in a MAJOR city and I have less traffic on our surface streets here as I move around town. Freeways, when I used to be on them every day, are another story. It was taking me 2-3 light cycles to get thru intersections and the traffic circles were backing up 10-15 cars on a regular basis.

2) The speed limits, especially on 97 & 20, are silly slow yet every time I'm there, there seems to be some major collision closing the highway. Not sure why Oregon feels they need such slow freeway speeds as it's the same in Portland.

3) I know most people who think they are cool and hip will disagree but too many of the restaurants in town go overboard trying to be "trendy" and "funky". People like to be seen at them so they are more than willing to pay double what the same food (actually less food) would cost in other restaurants. 'Chow' is a perfect example of this. Suer popular but we went when the place was 90% empty (early breakfast) and the service was ridiculously slow. My omelette/meal was half the size but double in cost of what I normally pay.

I assume your "major city" is not Seattle. You seem to live in a very laid back city!

1) I am learning a few certain sections of streets should be avoided in Bend, due to traffic. My Bendite Bro-in-law is starting to show me the work-arounds to those, that all Bendites learn. Yes, it is surprisingly complex street pattern for such a small city though, I can't argue that. And no, I won't tell you the shortcuts.

2) Speed limits...In Oregon in general are silly slow. But Oregonians rarely seem to reach those speeds anyway. I must train myself in patience. I haven't seen the major crashes yet. Tons of accidents getting in and out of the Seattle area, and only once have I gotten through Portland without getting caught in a major traffic jam due to accidents. Maybe I have been lucky in Bend?

3) you haven't been eating in restaurants in greater Seattle if you think Bend is pricey. But yes, if you go to the latest hip spot, you will be paying for that claim to fame. My Bendite clan has shown me some great food places just a short distance off the beaten path. A couple weekends ago we hit a place that had just converted from a food truck to a store front. We were the only customers. Prices were reasonable for some of the best tasting food I have had in a very long time, at any price.

Bend requires a sense of adventure in all activities...including getting around town and finding restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend