Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 03:22 PM

276 posts, read 221,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Grassy Knoll knows of what he speaks. He has lived there for many years. His location is “southernmost tip”, which is South Point (officially Ka Lae), the “southernmost island” is Hawaii, and the “southernmost State” is Hawaii.

Discovery Harbour may be the “southernmost subdivision”, but he doesn’t list that as his location.

BTW, parts of Ocean View are in the southwest rift zone of Mauna Loa. Last flows through the subdivision were in 1907. Hope you have your emergency evacuation kit available, GK!
Not to be "anal", as I am generally not, but he did say he lived in Ocean View, which technically is NOT at the southernmost point of...... Only South Pt and the Homelands can make that absolute claim to fame

Old 06-24-2018, 04:03 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,897,043 times
Southernmost incorporated point of the United States

In The Insular Cases, the Supreme Court held incorporated territories to be integral parts of the United States, as opposed to unincorporated territories being merely possessions. Technically, the incorporated United States Territory of Palmyra Island has the southernmost point of the incorporated United States of America, with its southernmost shore at 5°52'15" N latitude. U.S.-controlled territories such as American Samoa (and the southernmost place, Rose Atoll) are farther south, but they are not incorporated territories of the country.[4][5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmyra_Atoll

Old 06-24-2018, 04:09 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer1 View Post
Not to be "anal", as I am generally not, but he did say he lived in Ocean View, which technically is NOT at the southernmost point of...... Only South Pt and the Homelands can make that absolute claim to fame
Petty much? It was a stupid, attempt at being clever in the tag line for my profile.

It's Sunday skygazer, can you not find something better to do than quibble about my profile? Or perhaps you are just trolling from mom's basement waiting for her to bring you more Hot Pockets and Mountain Dew.
Skygazer isn't himself when he's hungry...

Old 06-24-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Petty much? It was a stupid, attempt at being clever in the tag line for my profile.

It's Sunday skygazer, can you not find something better to do than quibble about my profile? Or perhaps you are just trolling from mom's basement waiting for her to bring you more Hot Pockets and Mountain Dew.
Skygazer isn't himself when he's hungry...
No, I'm not trolling, its just that long funny description that caught my eye, and then I found out it was technically wrong, so I pointed it out. Its your description you can do what you like, I just let you know, that's all Lets try to stay friends, ok?

Old 06-24-2018, 04:40 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,553,579 times
Quote:
Well the law thing as a solution to society's problems is a total failure. We have 100k or more of laws on the books, but just as much crime as when we had just ten commandments! Those gazillions of stupid laws are just a source of endless headaches and confusion, get in the way of people's freedoms and normal daily life.

Have legislatures actually took a look and got rid of stupid old laws? Not to any significant extent, they just add new laws all the time!

So, wishful or not, the solution is to get people to act nice and work together, not manufacture more laws.
Our society, held together by our laws, customs and the like is NOT a total failure. In fact, it is the GREATEST success story around.

Do you have source whatsoever for your "ten commandments" assertion? Did you go over the crime reports for the era? Obviously, not, but my point is that you have no idea what you are saying, and if you are correct, it's only because it is a 50/50 chance.

BTW, one of the great success stories in America politics is how thousands of obsolete, counterproductive regulations are being taken OFF the books by POTUS.

BTW, many, if not most, laws are not of a "criminal" nature. They make specific civil or other non-criminal rules, such as zoning, sadly setting up welfare programs, funding government ops such as the Military, and the like.

In any case, being nice to each other isn't gong to stop M. Pele, Inc. from doing her do as she sees fit (I am just using M. Pele as a caricature for the volcano, obviously, I don't believe there really is a M. Pele.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Our society, held together by our laws, customs and the like is NOT a total failure. In fact, it is the GREATEST success story around.

BTW, one of the great success stories in America politics is how thousands of obsolete, counterproductive regulations are being taken OFF the books by POTUS.

BTW, many, if not most, laws are not of a "criminal" nature. They make specific civil or other non-criminal rules, such as zoning, sadly setting up welfare programs, funding government ops such as the Military, and the like.
The President cannot remove LAWS, only Congress makes and changes them. I don't see much of that ever happening, just pile up more stupid, special-interest ones.

Most people don't follow the letter of every law to keep them in line, they just act whatever way they think is appropriate.

Most laws just make people's lives miserable, to try to understand why they are there, and try to either find an easy way to follow them, or get around them, without getting caught. Like the stupid window tint laws. What exact transmission % is it? If you fall one % below you flunk and cannot get your sticker, and have to spend mucho bucks to fix all your windows. The stupidest law ever. And they let certain vehicles get by with dark tint, but not others, so many rules and ridiculous exceptions. I've complained to many representatives, and nobody does anything to remove this stupid law.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:12 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:

Most laws just make people's lives miserable, to try to understand why they are there, and try to either find an easy way to follow them, or get around them, without getting caught. Like the stupid window tint laws. What exact transmission % is it? If you fall one % below you flunk and cannot get your sticker, and have to spend mucho bucks to fix all your windows. The stupidest law ever. And they let certain vehicles get by with dark tint, but not others, so many rules and ridiculous exceptions. I've complained to many representatives, and nobody does anything to remove this stupid law.
Perhaps it would be easier to - let’s say - not tint your windows and get that window shade thing I see other get. Then you don’t have to worry about the “stupid” window tinting law.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:32 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,553,579 times
Quote:
The President cannot remove LAWS, only Congress makes and changes them. I don't see much of that ever happening, just pile up more stupid, special-interest ones..
I guess you don't have a clue about the difference between "laws" (passed by Congress and signed by the President), and "regulations", which are administratively-created by bureaucrats in the administration (like the head of the EPA, or FDA etc., The are promulgated by the bureaucrats, published in the Federal Register for public comment (usually), and then become effective at the expiration of that comment period, unless amended. Since they are created by the Administration, they can be eliminated by the Administration.

Usually, laws passed by Congress will a phrase such as "The Secretary of ?????? will promulgate regulations implementing the provisions contained herein.". Those regulations are what are being rescinded by the hundred, as they are stifling the country. Viva President Trump!!!!

Old 06-24-2018, 10:10 PM

74 posts, read 74,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Viva President Trump!!!!
Kilauea was much less destructive under the Obama administration.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Perhaps it would be easier to - let’s say - not tint your windows and get that window shade thing I see other get. Then you don’t have to worry about the “stupid” window tinting law.
You can't drive with a shade! Not to mention those hardly stop all of the heat coming into your car, turning it into a pizza oven, without dark tint. Just another stupid law by bureaucrats, to carelessly make people's lives miserable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island