Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 05:42 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Open-D, how about you stop commenting on and making fun of people and a culture that you obviously don’t understand?

I agree with 67cam and Molokai100 and have held off entering into this discussion. But the name calling on YOUR part, Open-D, has become offensive. Perhaps you should stick to commenting on something that you at least know something about. Those of us who actually live in Hawaii and have taken the time to understand the culture do respect the views of those who honor their ancestors.
You are confused. The name calling was against me, and I dare say I lived in Hawaii long before you ever did, (1970s).

Next time, get your facts straight. They called me a douche FIRST - some guy from NYC, and these two piled on, and now you.

My comments were about some guy who wanted the government to incorporate his religious views into their official actions.
Specifically Civil Defense and the action he wanted was to refuse to establish a lava-viewing site.

He's afraid that if people view the lava, the forest-eater will retaliate and eat more forest (presumably the rest of LE). What about that is worthy of respect? Sounds like the ramblings of someone needing medical care in places with padded cells. Kinda like the Congressman who was concerned we were putting so many people on Guam that it was going to capsize. Another rocket-scientist.

The forest eating "god" isn't an ancestor, its a "god", like Pele.

I have a significant understanding of the Hawaiian culture and probably knew more about it before you were born than you do now. I can't say I find a lot there to admire - its almost child-like in many ways. Education isn't a big priority, "Laid-Back" is a big thing, and who cares what High School you went to anyway??? Don't want a world-class telescope on the BI because the rocks are sacred.

I do, however, have great respect and admiration for those in Hawaii from Japan.

In any case, Aloha!!

Last edited by Open-D; 07-27-2018 at 06:15 PM..

Old 07-27-2018, 06:44 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
I must have missed his reference to a forest eating god. He said that lava viewing fissure 8 would be different from opportuniites to see past modern day lava flows because it's happening in a residential area, with the implication that this would be disrespectful of the area's residents.

It's an opinion he's entitled to, regardless of religious affiliation, and one this non Hawaiian happens to agree with.

Open-D, I do agree it's unfortunate that there has been such outspoken opposition to the telescope, and also the conclusion you're probably coming to, namely that Hawaii is not an appropriate place for you to retire.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:56 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Closing this due to bickering, name calling and general off-topicry.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island