Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 11:49 AM

3,260 posts, read 3,772,785 times

Advertisements

Birmingham's TV market does benefit because Tuscaloosa and Anniston/Gadsden can't justify having their own markets, while Baton Rouge does, thus making the New Orleans market a bit smaller than one might think. Looks like Buffalo/Rochester (and maybe even parts of Canada that are right next to Buffalo) are in similar waters. This might apply (albeit to a lesser extent) when talking about Jackson, TN and Memphis.

Now, whether this actually means more than a hill of beans is up for debate. If the population of the Anniston-Gadsden area was something like 800,000 like Baton Rouge and they had their own TV market, Birmingham's TV market would be smaller... yet I think we would all agree Birmingham's chances of landing a pro sports team would increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 11:54 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Nielsen likes to base everything on households with TVs which is understandable, but with restaurants it is all about the number of mouths to feed. So with that said, here is Birmingham's DMA expressed as raw numbers of individuals.
https://www.qsrmagazine.com/content/...medium-markets

Birmingham-Anniston-Tuscaloosa DMA = 1,944,526 people.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:37 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,988,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
It is a fact that Bhams DMA is larger than those cities.
That means potentially more eyeballs on the TV, more people buying gear and more butts in the seats.
That is a major consideration for a sports franchise.
IF this mythical media market was in existence, that alone is not near what it takes to get a pro franchise here, which was the point. They have national markets for TV, not just local. They want tax incentives, and new stadiums. MSA would apply more towards buying gear and butts in seats.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
IF this mythical media market was in existence (it most certainly is, it isn't up for debate), that alone is not near what it takes to get a pro franchise here (nobody said it was), which was the point (no, you were just wrong). They have national markets for TV, not just local. (these are figures for the national market, your stubbornness is amazing) They want tax incentives, and new stadiums. (of course, still besides the point) MSA would apply more towards buying gear and butts in seats. (but the media market is a very important metric still)

Birmingham would also benefit from being the only pro team in the state and its fans would likely extend beyond its city limits, its MSA, its CSA and its DMA. That would also be something that could help a sanctioning body pick it over another town of similar size.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:07 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,880,049 times
Quote:
IF this mythical media market was in existence, that alone is not near what it takes to get a pro franchise here, which was the point. They have national markets for TV, not just local. They want tax incentives, and new stadiums. MSA would apply more towards buying gear and butts in seats.
I'm not sunshine pumper but the Bham media market is no myth.

TRUCK ADS® | Birmingham Anniston Tuscaloosa | Designated Market Map A D M A P | Mobile Billboards | Truck Advertising | Television Stations

DMA POP 1.85 million ranked 44th largest in the country.

Bham DMA is larger than Jacksonville, OKC, Memphis and New Orleans.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Birmingham would also benefit from being the only pro team in the state and its fans would likely extend beyond its city limits, its MSA, its CSA and its DMA. That would also be something that could help a sanctioning body pick it over another town of similar size.
I never denied that some publication came up with a media market number or whatever. I question whether it's actually true. You get local TV channels? Who cares? I see no connection to the NBA market.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:16 PM

10,502 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Quote:
I never denied that some publication came up with a media market number or whatever. I question whether it's actually true.
Those are based on the Census. Do you seriously think those numbers get ginned up out of thin air? Or do you dispute them simply because they disagree with your existing bias?

Old 04-26-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Those are based on the Census. Do you seriously think those numbers get ginned up out of thin air? Or do you dispute them simply because they disagree with your existing bias?
Anybody can draw lines and count population. I see no way that correlates to attracting pro franchises.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I never denied that some publication came up with a media market number or whatever. I question whether it's actually true. You get local TV channels? Who cares? I see no connection to the NBA market.
Well, that's just how it works. All those counties watch our TV, our news, our sportscasters, so they will most likely align themselves to a team that is covered by the same. If you were pushing tractors or a chain of hot dog stands you would want to know what your advertising budget would cover if you were to buy time in one of those areas, or put up billboards, or whatever.

If you were trying to promote a pro team you would also want to know who those sponsors reach and who is watching so you know who you potentially have as people sitting in your stadium and buying hats and t-shirts and what companies and businesses they frequent that might be buying skyboxes in your stadium.

And, yet all this is on the internet and just a few minutes of research is all it would take on your part, but yet you still think this is just something I made up.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Well, that's just how it works. All those counties watch our TV, our news, our sportscasters, so they will most likely align themselves to a team that is covered by the same. If you were pushing tractors or a chain of hot dog stands you would want to know what your advertising budget would cover if you were to buy time in one of those areas, or put up billboards, or whatever.

If you were trying to promote a pro team you would also want to know who those sponsors reach and who is watching so you know who you potentially have as people sitting in your stadium and buying hats and t-shirts and what companies and businesses they frequent that might be buying skyboxes in your stadium.

And, yet all this is on the internet and just a few minutes of research is all it would take on your part, but yet you still think this is just something I made up.
Oh, OK, I get it now. Well get back to me when the "feelers" that were put out come back positive and the NBA starts lining up to play here (after we've built a monstrosity of a dome that will compete worldwide). I mean, we have the metrics, right?

There's a reason pro sports don't do well here. On big part of it is that most of the population (in whatever size market you want to call it) spends all their time on college sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area